Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good News for Air2 folks.

Comments

• @DaveMagoo said:
    ...in terms of resources and capability.....what does one think it may cost Apple to fix this issue?

If it's a hardware problem and they're aware of it we're probably only 8 months away from Apple Christmas and a shiny, new ipad3 with X9. If my logic's right all those who are serious about music on iPad will jump on that one, so ultimately greed prevails. It's hard but I feel I'll need to give up the image of Apple as some kind of huggable Cookie Monster.

• edited February 2015

@supadom said:
    some kind of huggable Cookie Monster

Is that like a wookie?

• edited February 2015

What > @WaveMachineLabs said:

Here are my thoughts on this, after spending way too much time trying to understand the nature of this bug ;)

In my opinion, most likely it's either a hardware issue (problem with the A8 processor) or a low level iOS issue. Only time will tell whether Apple will be able to fix this bug. But this is definitely not a new iOS "feature". I would be very surprised if Apple intended to break the realtime thread priority. In modern operating systems, audio is regarded as one of the most critical time slice priorities, and Core Audio has worked reliably in all the previous iOS devices so far. It feels more like an issue with the CPU scheduling system, or a bug resulting in a priority inversion or corruption.

Here's what I know about this so far:

• It's not related to the iOS version you have installed. Same issue happens on iOS7 or 8.
    • It only affects Air 2 and iPhone 6.
    • What the issue actually does is cause processing tasks to take longer while in a Core Audio callback thread.
    • The bug is triggered by either having Core Animation running on screen, or by manually panning on a UIScrollView.
    • Problems only seem to develop when the CPU usage is already fairly high (40-50%). At this point, simply panning on a scrollview back and forth a few times can cause a doubling of the callback time.
    • Both Michael and I have filed separate bug reports to Apple (Radar: 19657903 and 18854510 respectively), but have had no significant contact from them about this issue.

Rim

So it's only affecting iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 but not only iOS 8 but iOS 7 too? How could anyone run iOS 7 on these when they come with iOS 8 installed? Is that possible with a jailbreak?

Also I must say I'm extremely disappointed my new 128 GB iPhone 6 suffers these symptoms as well. I have been experiencing tons of bugs and glitches trying to play guitar into various amp sims within audiobus. It's impossible to play even a minimal configuration with the audio buffer set at 128. Adding FX apps and loopy plus a beats app is a crash fest. So I am somewhat relieved to hear this might be the same problems as with the iPad Air 2 because devs will be very much looking to address the issue but if it won't/can't get fixed ever that would be a huge letdown. I do think some of my problems may be within audiobus and or iOS 8 as well, though. I'm still in the process of figuring out combinations that are somewhat stable with audiobus at 256. I really hope there will be a fix coming soon.
    And what about the "good news" now? Will devs try to replace core animations now wherever possible in order to get things running more smoothly on iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2? Could there be some guideline added to the audiobus dev kit to make sure the devs know how to make their apps more compatible?

• Sorry, when I said ios7, I meant the ios7 SDK. As developers, we can choose to use an older SDK to build against.

• edited February 2015

i'm getting very very nervous whenever i read "could be a hardware problem as well".And very angry.Speechless.I won't sit back and chill,i'll try to make this story public wherever i can.Writing to the tech and mac news sites etc.I'm sure it's currently way down on apples priority list (with the fancy fuck watch on No1) but bad publicity is probably something they can't just overlook.Thanks @Rim for the detailed inside,very helpful.

Just the latest example how bad the performance is:currently trying to record Alchemy as IAA in Auria.The CPU meter shows 20-25% but as soon as i open Alchemys panel it starts to glitch and then Audio disappears.Means,I can't record Alchemy when i want to record some knob movements in Auria as well.Ridiculous.

• @WaveMachineLabs said:
    Sorry, when I said ios7, I meant the ios7 SDK. As developers, we can choose to use an older SDK to build against.

I see. I'm still confused, though. So the problem actually shows in the sdk? Because the devices mentioned can only run iOS 8. So how can anyone know it's not an iOS 8 bug since that's what the devices are running? Excuse me if I'm being silly. Unfortunately I don't have the background to know anything about this at all. But thank you for sharing your insights.

• edited February 2015

We really don't know if it's exclusively an iOS8 issue, only that the SDK version doesn't seem to matter. Developers can use an iOS7 SDK on an iOS8 device for example.

• I'm quite pissed on this, nearly to the point of selling. I'll give it a few days, but my overall experience with the Air 2 has been so disappointing that I do want to throw in the towel.

When I heard that it was a tri-core, it sent alarms off in my head which I quickly quieted because I was dying to jump from 32GB to 128GB of space. That said, if it happens on the iPhone 6 with its dual core design, maybe it isn't related directly to that.

These are the first processors to be manufactured for the iPad/iPhone by TSMC, and now Apple is running straight back to Samsung for the A9 for some bizarre reason, given that Apple's original point of moving to a different manufacturer was to stop depending on their main rival.

I hope this whole situation blows up in Apple's face.

• And since developers are under NDA there is no information available if this issue is already fixed in iOS8.2...

I'm considering swapping in my old 1st Gen 64GB iPad Mini Cellular since i can get pretty good discount if i get a new iPad at the same time, I'm leaning towards a 128GB iPad Air 2 Wifi.

• edited February 2015

@Samu said:
    And since developers are under NDA there is no information available if this issue is already fixed in iOS8.2...

Well I'm betting it isn't judging by the workarounds that are still being pursued and the general tone of the developers who are commenting on the current state. But seeing how iOS8.3 beta was just released, it still might have a chance.

• my gut feeling is i dont think we will see a fix this gen...

...such a shame as i really thought the air 2 would bring much needed specs to get a decent near desktop experience on mobile devices....but hey ho...

• I'm kind of hopeful, or maybe I'm trying to stay positive as an ipad air 2 owner who upgraded from a 3, but I remember other issues that seemed to indicate flaws in hardware that were eventually solved or at the least, minimised. For example the firewire card in the original alu imacs, proximity sensor in the 4/4s, rapid screen swiping issue in the 5 etc.

But then again my late 2011 mbp has the potential to keel over due the the ati graphics card heating issue, been lucky so far, my 2006 imac developed a known issue with the lg panel, which apple replaced outside of my apple care cover, so although im already clenching my buttocks, I think I'll choose to be hopeful, for now, especially with Michael, Rim, Sebastian and other ios devs on the case and the devs at apple too, maybe this will get sorted outside of workarounds.

One wish I have though is for apple to stop doing major updates to ios and osx each year, is a mare when some of my software updates are only for newer versions, yet the stability is still on the older os's, or even worse new tempting apps for the newer versions only. Think a 2 year cycle would be more pleasing as I do usually love the new features apart from lion and smaller folders in 7/8, but stability is more important, as music making helps to keep me sane.

• as someone looking to upgrade to a air 2 badly these issues are starting to make my laptop look better and better

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    If only there was a friendly forum type place where like-minded.....oh.

:)

Yeah this place is fantastic although I find most of you to be naughty scamps who encourage my app addiction, which leaves me happy but penniless, I always try to be more restrained by leaving long lists of apps for people to ignore.

Plus think of the travesty off only having 3 sections on the app store with subcategories from the main category section, games, kids, newsstand and things like pro-create, brushes and all those fantastic art apps being hidden in entertainment, with bloody tv apps and all sorts of random stuff, I would say that was cruel and unusual punishment for the uninitiated who have yet to learn that apple is really a dominatrix masquerading as a tech company.

• +1 for a procreate section!

• @funjunkie27 said:
    +1 for a procreate section!

Procreate is one of the lucky ones as it usually features quite prominently on the main page, but definitely needs its own section in art and design, would love to see music split up in sections like listen to, for tune in radio, spotify etc or maybe even discover, synthesizer, drum machines, arrangement, for auria and also apps like notion, session band apps, music theory, controllers, effects, experimental, tools, kids etc.

• Hmm EBay has a great deal on iPad Air 2 64gbs today. Was actually considering it as I'm still using an iPad 3 but reading through this entire thread has convinced me to stay away.

I guess I will continue waiting for the mythical iPad Pro, or at least the next iPad in October.

I hope Apple gets their act together about this.

• On the up side the Air1 works beautifully and are cheaper than the air2. It could well be a better option considering , at least until or if the Air 2 is fixed.(I came very close to getting the 2 instead of the one, It was a good thing I opted to save some cash for apps.)

• I'm still on my iPad 2. I really, really need to update, but I want to update to something stable that has more memory than an Air1. Also, I'm waiting for stability and performance to come back to the platform......that and I'm still out of money. :-D

• An article on Macrumors mentions that the primary focus of iOS 9 will be stability and bug fixes.

That's one major iOS release too late in my opinion, this should have been the focus for 8.

• edited February 2015

'Yeah this place is fantastic although I find most of you to be naughty scamps who encourage my app addiction, which leaves me happy but penniless, I always try to be more restrained by leaving long lists of apps for people to ignore.'

Good thing there weren't many apps lately for me to salivate over....or am I getting stronger?
    AppStore reminds me a lot of a UK car boot sale. When I first discovered them I would bring home dozens of old headphones and speakers most of which would end up in a dump. Now, more often than not I come back empty handed or with treasures like £8 casio mt-79 or £20 squire both of which will end up being resold on eBay. Such a pity we there is no such thing as a second hand App market.

I'm starting to see more and more IK Blueboards on eBay UK. They sell for £40-£50. How can people justify this with £40 IK charges for the license transfer?

Sorry, just musing.

• Possibly why sample packs are gaining popularity

• @supadom said:
    Good thing there weren't many apps lately for me to salivate over....or am I getting stronger?
    AppStore reminds me a lot of a UK car boot sale. When I first discovered them I would bring home dozens of old headphones and speakers most of which would end up in a dump. Now, more often than not I come back empty handed or with treasures like £8 casio mt-79 or £20 squire both of which will end up being resold on eBay. Such a pity we there is no such thing as a second hand App market.

I'm starting to see more and more IK Blueboards on eBay UK. They sell for £40-£50. How can people justify this with £40 IK charges for the license transfer?

Sorry, just musing.

For me with all the good stuff that has come out lately, I'd say you're getting stronger and your willpower stats have improved significantly, unless of course christmas was particularly brutal to your finances. I know I don't need any more apps, should learn well what I use already, then I'm like god damn that looks fantastic and try and work out if there is any juice left on the debit card or any offers on.

Think your analogy with the car boot sale is good, but the appstore reminds me of something more wild, more savage, like an old skool jumble sale, where the generation that remembers rationing, clearly, are out in force and aroused at the thought of snagging a bargin out of someone's hands, just as they are about to pay, years of full contact shopping being put to good use. Apple are pro's, so a second hand app market would be very handy, especially if devs got a cut, although the cut ik demands is a bit, erm what word to use, plump.

I take your point though about the novelty wearing off and becoming more discerning although I'm still waiting for this to fully kick in, I'm not so wowed by all the different things the ipad can do, but still buying a lot of creative apps and iap's, just all the other apps especially games I've stopped buying, was lucky to get the appshopper app before it got pulled, or maybe unlucky as the distraction of my wishlist dropping in price is hard to resist at times, will you sell me some of your willpower on ebay.

• edited February 2015

+1 Mister @mister_rz, come all the way inside, there's tea and biscuits and the next meeting's about to start...

• Some folks are not willing to update any longer and are not able to get many new apps. I was in this camp prior to updating my iPad. Still I too am trying to knock off impulse purchases as I already have more than enough on here to make quality music plus I have a lot of hardware to go with it. I will be making purchases but not just what ever is the latest app as I used to do.

• On the plus side ,this leaves me the option of having apps to choose from and if I feel an app is overpriced or not quite up to par I have other choices! Win Win!

• edited February 2015

I used to feel this way about girls but my firmware hasn't been updated in quite some time.

• Updated or upright? Heheheh.

• can the air1 still do this?