Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good News for Air2 folks.

Comments

• mmpmmp
    edited February 2015

What worries me is that it might be, in fact, a feature, not a bug at all; implemented to achieve smoother animations and game action without the audio creating stutters or other hiccups as games get more cpu/gpu hungry...

In that case, no fix by Apple can be expected.

I do hope I'm wrong!!!

• @mmp said:
    What worries me is that it might be, in fact, a feature, not a bug at all; implemented to achieve smoother animations and game action without the audio creating stutters or other hiccups as games get more cpu/gpu hungry...

In that case, no fix by Apple can be expected.

I do hope I'm wrong!!!

But why is it only affecting Air 2 and iPhone 6 then?Doesn't look like a feature to me...

• mmpmmp
    edited February 2015

Yeah I suppose you're right, the older devices might actually need a tweak like that more...unless it's something new introduced at the hardware level...

• edited February 2015

This sounds very similar to a problem I noticed last summer. I mentioned it a few times:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/84171/#Comment_84171

I didn't realize it at the time, but when I said I fixed it by animating elements on the screen, I was doing it using a timer like Michael said in the video. Users have been telling me that beat-machine will start glitching out when trying to record into another app when the other app is on the screen, and it ain't my fault. CPU usage doubles for my app when it isn't on the screen because of this.

It's also worth noting that I noticed this problem on all 64 bit devices, but not the old 32 bit ones.

• @dreamless said:
    Users have been telling me that beat-machine will start glitching out when trying to record into another app when the other app is on the screen, and it ain't my fault. CPU usage doubles for my app when it isn't on the screen because of this.

I haven't tested beat-machine for this glitch, but I have noticed this in many many apps on my air2. Lots of apps are glitching while in the background.

• @Vecoto

Upgrading to an air:D I'm hoping 8.2 settles things down more, usually takes a while, not been doing much music stuff on my air 2, so I haven't noticed too many issues, apart from the piano roll in gadget, that is a pain.

@Crabman

It would be interesting to see how much ios musicians spend on apps in regards to market share, think it's obvious gaming is the lucrative market, as games have their own sections in the app store (wish this would happen with music apps too) plus games usually feature high in the paid and grossing charts. Maybe we need to form our own lobby or union and banish games from the app store so apple can focus on what's important, creative apps with a focus on music.

@mmp

Is a shame if audio rendering doesn't get a prioritised thread anymore, thought metal would help gaming/animation rendering without it turning into that beast off spirited away that starts devouring everything, it must be stopped (quickly deletes games off ipad to hide complicity in helping ios to become a gaming behemoth). Would be cool if ios 9 has four user profiles in settings, gaming, photo, music and general, although that would move away from the simplicity a little.

• @mister_rz: there is a music category but i guess you mean JUST the creative/productive apps without spotify etc?

I saw more often good new music apps high in the (german) grossing charts when they are released but only for 1-2 days and they are out of the charts again.

• @Crabman

Yeah exactly everything is just lumped together, makes discovering apps just by using the app store a lot harder, a lot of good apps are hidden unless people talk about them or they pop up on sites.

• If only there was a friendly forum type place where like-minded.....oh.

:)

• The iPad Air 2 issue seems to revolve around the multi-cores and how Apple decided to use them. Perhaps in future versions of iOS they'll add options to the iOS to take into account how developers of realtime apps such as audio need to prioritize tasks whereas before with the single core this wasn't really an issue (if I'm understanding Michael's video explanation correctly).

• Unfortunately, Rim's last few posts on the Auria forum indicate that the current version of Auria is as good as it's going to get, at least for the foreseeable future.

• edited February 2015

I doubt this is a bug.

If I was to make a totally uninformed guess, I would say that this may be related to all the new streams of information potentially needing to being processed in parallel by iOS such as HealthKit, WatchKit, Apple Pay, New Motion Processor (Barometer, Pedometer, etc.) in addition to all the older stuff (Location services, Background app refresh, iPod functions, Bluetooth etc. etc.).

Apple may simply not want developers to dominate the CPU time with a single app to the point where it silently detriments 'essential' background services. Yes there are co-processors for some of this stuff but the info still has to make its way to the main CPU eventually. Perhaps they felt that the A8 in the iPhone 6 / Air 2 was fast enough that realtime thread priority was no longer a necessity for most performance critical applications.

• btw,does anyone know if theres a thread about it on the apple forums?Or does it make sense to open a thread there? I never look into this forums so i've no idea what's going on there.

• edited February 2015

@supanorton said:
    Unfortunately, Rim's last few posts on the Auria forum indicate that the current version of Auria is as good as it's going to get, at least for the foreseeable future.

Currently there is no workarround in Auria and he wrote yesterday that he could improve his old workarround a lot.But he doesn't mention if his fix will arrive befor Auria Pro shows up.Somebody else can ask him http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12615&start=75

I already bothered him SO often (nick:CEIsar) with questions about this (and GUI generally) topic,i want to give him a break :)

• @dreamless said:
    This sounds very similar to a problem I noticed last summer. I mentioned it a few times:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/84171/#Comment_84171

I didn't realize it at the time, but when I said I fixed it by animating elements on the screen, I was doing it using a timer like Michael said in the video. Users have been telling me that beat-machine will start glitching out when trying to record into another app when the other app is on the screen, and it ain't my fault. CPU usage doubles for my app when it isn't on the screen because of this.

It's also worth noting that I noticed this problem on all 64 bit devices, but not the old 32 bit ones.

So maybe it isn't limited to air2 and iPhone 6 as @Michael suggests but also air1 and mini2/3? Many users who are on those (high end) devices report issues on IOS8 so I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the case.

• I assume this is something different.Because i never ever had this kind of trouble on my Mini Retina (i mean the quick cpu overloads in Auria and the fact that i can run only 6-7 tracks in Gadget before it starts to glitch when i'm in the editor).

• maybe an ios 8 issue?

• The problems are likely related if the solution is the same.

• edited February 2015

Here are my thoughts on this, after spending way too much time trying to understand the nature of this bug ;)

In my opinion, most likely it's either a hardware issue (problem with the A8 processor) or a low level iOS issue. Only time will tell whether Apple will be able to fix this bug. But this is definitely not a new iOS "feature". I would be very surprised if Apple intended to break the realtime thread priority. In modern operating systems, audio is regarded as one of the most critical time slice priorities, and Core Audio has worked reliably in all the previous iOS devices so far. It feels more like an issue with the CPU scheduling system, or a bug resulting in a priority inversion or corruption.

Here's what I know about this so far:

• It's not related to the iOS SDK version you're using. Same issue happens on iOS7 or 8 SDKs.
    • It only affects Air 2 and iPhone 6.
    • What the issue actually does is cause processing tasks to take longer while in a Core Audio callback thread.
    • The bug is triggered by either having Core Animation running on screen, or by manually panning on a UIScrollView.
    • Problems only seem to develop when the CPU usage is already fairly high (40-50%). At this point, simply panning on a scrollview back and forth a few times can cause a doubling of the callback time.
    • Both Michael and I have filed separate bug reports to Apple (Radar: 19657903 and 18854510 respectively), but have had no significant contact from them about this issue.

Rim

• Damn we got a busted pad :(

• edited February 2015

It is serious business in here. It is a bummer, that's for sure. :(

• The clarity thickens. Thank you Mister Rim.

• Thanks Rim, it's nice to get clarification from someone who has spent time looking into the issue (in addition to Michael).

On one hand, hearing this may actually be an unintentional bug makes me hopeful that it might get fixed at the core level in an iOS update, meaning developers wouldn't even have to consider the issue any longer.

On the other hand if for some reason it can't (or won't) be fixed, it becomes a serious issue for those of us interested in audio creation, who have spent a not-insignificant sum to be on the latest hardware.

• See, they do care =)

• ...in terms of resources and capability.....what does one think it may cost Apple to fix this issue?

• edited February 2015

@DaveMagoo said:
    ...in terms of resources and capability.....what does one think it may cost Apple to fix this issue?

If it's a hardware issue - literally billions. But if it were I doubt Apple would touch that kind of money for a relatively minor issue from their perspective. I think the fix is going to come from developers fixing it themselves (Which might be impossible for apps that massively rely on the buggy animation functions) or maybe from Apple if it can be done via software. But I'm not holding my breath for that. I think the best we can hope for is the next generation of iPads not having this bug.

This isn't such a new thing either. The iPad 3 was a lemon as well. It has more problems with audio interfaces than the iPad 2 or iPad 4. Few people know about it but I can swear I can feel a ripple go through the community every time a musician screams in agony because this $%&/ing piece of $hit audio interface just won't $§"!ing work with this damn iPad 3. On a more positive note, I think these issues have mostly been eradicated by developers implementing workarounds and I think even Apple fixing something. It's been such a long time since the iPad 3 was a thing...

• Anyone who can please submit a feedback about it. maybe we can wake Apple up.
    https://www.apple.com/support/feedback/

• the clarity thickens

Is why language exists.

• @michael I am an iPad 3 owner. So. Much. Dumb. Held out until the iPad air 2 but the issues you and @rim are beating surfaced quickly and damn if I'll own an iPad Lemon 2. So here I am with my initial lemon because an air 1 with more than 16 is hard to come by!

Thank you and sorry @ both of you for working this nonsense out. You're both working on what-I-really-want so hey, I'll hug my first world problems for a bit.

While we have you both, greedy bastard that I am: I appreciate that I am absolutely in a minority of your users but I'm also positive I'm far from alone in thinking it would be amazeballs if one could export a LoopyHD project (zip) and 'open in' Auria; having all of the loops/tempo ready to stretch out into a song.