Beathawk Feedback

1246713

Comments

  • @bsantoro said:
    BastienCo, your 1.0.3 update includes "Receives MIDI from Inter-App Audio (Instrument instead of Generator)". I am trying to figure out what is new? BeatHawk still won't sync to MIDI clock (tempo) from another iOS app. I can, however, use another app to generate MIDI notes, like Cubasis or Xthynsizer, which can be recorded into BeatHawk; but I could do that before the 1.0.3 update. Could you explain a little clearer how this particular update works?

    I am also in the class for this lesson please :) Any and all tips greatly received.

  • You can open it as an IAA instrument in apps such as Cubasis.

    This means (in Cubasis at least) that you can have one IAA track that is streaming audio from BeatHawk and sending midi to BeatHawk on the same track.....see pic...

    Only limitation seems to be you can only control Pad 1....but you can freeze the audio....

  • @Dave Magoo, I think I could generate a MIDI sequence into BeatHawk and freeze the audio from BeatHawk before the 1.0.3 update. I may be wrong. However, when I freeze the MIDI track, the audio always ends up twice as long, lowering the pitch and tempo in half.

  • @bsantoro said:
    Dave Magoo, I think I could generate a MIDI sequence into BeatHawk and freeze the audio from BeatHawk before the 1.0.3 update. I may be wrong. However, when I freeze the MIDI track, the audio always ends up twice as long, lowering the pitch and tempo in half.

    There is a freeze bug in Cubasis that is affected by the hardware latency settings of the app. I think 256 works best, albeit not always perfect.

  • @Dave Magoo, Thanks, that fixed the freeze bug in Cubasis. I set both BeatHawk and Cubasis to 256. I figure that because I have the iPad Air 2, I should be able to set the latency low.

    I still hope that BastienCo will clarify the "Receives MIDI from Inter-App Audio (Instrument instead of Generator)" update?

  • @bsantoro said:

    I still hope that BastienCo will clarify the "Receives MIDI from Inter-App Audio (Instrument instead of Generator)" update?

    the difference is that you can have an iaa midi track now as opposed to an iaa audio track that you could have in the previous version

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Hmm. Hadn't made the Auxy connection (literally and otherwise :). I will def. follow your lead and have a go with those in tandem.. Thanks.

    it's A LOT of fun. because you can have four different instruments active at the same time, with access to up to 16 beathawk instruments without leaving auxy . . .
    I really like the simplicity of it.

  • @nick said:

    OK. Sounds like more than enough reason to calling a day with work :)

  • @nick I sure I am just doing something utterly dull/dumb, but I can get BH to run an Auxy pattern (hooray) and it sounds great, but when I switch back to edit the pattern in Auxy; no dice. Or more accurately no sound. Unless that's as it's supposed to be and one just develops the pattern (with internal sounds) first and then switches. No problem if it's the latter, just didn't want to think I was missing something (I always think I'm missing something). Any guidance Sir?

  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0

    Hi @JohnnyGoodyear Did you make sure you enabled Beathawk background audio in ipad settings?
    I'd been playing with Beathawk earlier and background Audio only worked for me when it was open in Audiobus, which isn't like that for all apps...

    I haven't bought the IAP for Auxy yet though, I'm on the fence about it but may jump over eventually.

  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0

    @Carnbot said:
    Hi JohnnyGoodyear Did you make sure you enabled Beathawk background audio in ipad settings?
    I'd been playing with Beathawk earlier and background Audio only worked for me when it was open in Audiobus, which isn't like that for all apps...

    I haven't bought the IAP for Auxy yet though, I'm on the fence about it but may jump over eventually.

    @Carnbot I'll check Mister Bot, but I believe so, maybe not. As for the Auxy IAP, I think it worthwhile (if you're going to use Auxy, of course :). I've enjoyed it a lot with Thor...

    EDIT: How peculiar (and good sleuthing on your part!). If I put Beathawk in the input of AB (and nothing else anywhere else) I can hear it fine in Auxy....thanks so much. Is this what you do @Nick or do you have a more conventional way of getting there from here?

    This is a pretty big deal (for me). Beathawk with a piano roll....didn't imagine that would happen in this way.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    This is a pretty big deal (for me). Beathawk with a piano roll....didn't imagine that would happen in this way.

    yes i was really surprised it is working that well -- and it is pretty awesome :)

    make sure you turn on background audio, they've put that in the system settings, not in the app, I just turned it on permanently

    and then . . . to play more than one beathawk sound from auxy, go to settings, midi input
    send omni off
    midi select off
    send to selected pad on
    Now every auxy instrument has access to the 16 sounds in beathawk -- just cycle through the channels . . .

  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0

    There is no tempo sync with Auxy! A bit diffucult even I slow both apps' tempo to 64. In another word, no midi sync feature, hardly record Auxy midi note to Beathawk.

    Test with other synths app, no sound come out straight from Beathawk pad yet? Anyone success? Maybe I need to purchase Midiflow with.

    I did Beathawk with Cubasis IAA audio and Cubasis IAA midi tracks, good!

    My device iPad air 1 ios 8.2 Beathawk 1.03

  • no, we don't have sync yet unfortunately. I heard they're both working on it, auxy and beathawk, let's hope it comes soon

  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0

    Play around with Koushion and StepPolyArp. Yes, eager waiting sync features! So much fun the Beathawk with other apps. Thank you to notice > @Nick

  • By far, Steppolyarp can be manually sync with Beathawk, the tempo sync well while recording bar loop, I just slow the tempo down, matching well!

  • Just been updated. To get the background to work you have to go to the settings on the iPad itself. I couldn't see "Working in Background) in the settings itself of the app.

  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0

    On the Line Edit Menu (left side) of StepPolyArp is a very good tool to sketch Beathawk pads patterns. Each of the line for note sequence can be randomized touch by touch for rhythmic patterns. And adjusting the Transpose bar (also on top of the Line edit menu) to choose pad sound of Beathawk. I limit my steps to 16 for easy start.

  • Other apps controlling beathawk patterns works really well. Been playing with Xynthesizr into as well. Clock sync will much improve this....

  • thanks for the tips, @Kaikoo

    I'll have to check out step poly arp soon, i had an eye on it for a while

  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0

    Really just waiting for better sample handling (chopping/editing) and midi clock sync. Both things I thought would be in it from launch..

    So much potential in this app

  • @nick Step Poly Arp is a pretty thing.

  • According to all I just read, next big improvement would be the midi clock to fully enhance inter-app experience.
    I cannot say about sample editing and all that, but you have been heard.
    I will be back.

  • Hi @BastienCo

    Quick question... I notice that the sample packs I have purchased for Beathawk (e.g. the Choir one or the Funk one) are in the .UFS format (one monolithic single file sound bank).

    I also see you have a free Mac/PC based player (UVIWorkstation) for playing these samples and instruments.

    Can I play these sound packs with your desktop player? I read that some sound pack require authorisation etc?

  • edited March 2015 Vote Up0

    @Matt_Fletcher_2000 Same file extension but not compatible.

  • @bsantoro said:
    I still hope that BastienCo will clarify the "Receives MIDI from Inter-App Audio (Instrument instead of Generator)"
    update?

    @nick said:
    the difference is that you can have an iaa midi track now as opposed to an iaa audio track that you could have in the previous version

    That is correct.

  • @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Hi BastienCo

    Quick question... I notice that the sample packs I have purchased for Beathawk (e.g. the Choir one or the Funk one) are in the .UFS format (one monolithic single file sound bank).

    I also see you have a free Mac/PC based player (UVIWorkstation) for playing these samples and instruments.

    Can I play these sound packs with your desktop player? I read that some sound pack require authorisation etc?

    No you cannot do that, UFS is our "data-scructure" to protect files from piracy, that is all. The content is different for Beathawk or UVIWorkstation.

  • @otristan said:
    Same file extension but not compatible.

    Ah - shame... Thanks.

    I guess UVI doesn't want me to get the sounds out and use them outside BeatHawk?

  • @BastienCo - thanks for clarifying

  • Matt_Fletcher_2000
    You guess right :)

    Apple don't want you to jailbreak your iPad either :)

Sign In or Register to comment.