Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beathawk Feedback

Comments

• coincidence?

• i think it's cool an all but I hope it doesn't become a trend so soon, there are only a few full featured sampling beatmachines in iOS and now that its just starting to get a little competitive which is great for the end users I hope they compete on features and not just descend into sample pack meta data battle. … R. Nym mentioned working on time stretching a while back on this forum but I didn't think this is what they were talking about. Let UVI do their thing, don't bite as my uncle Nahm Sayin used to say.

• If JP & Co make it possible to create stretchable loops inside AudioCopy or iMPC Pro I'm game, but if and when this happens i hope they let us have the playback as it used to be too meaning skip the 'meta-data' when playing back the loops.

Same would go for Beathawk, I mean the loops are nice, but when i pitch down a loop i like it to play slower and pitching up makes it faster. (I love the effect of having a loop play one octave lower in half-tempo mixed with the original playing at normal tempo).

• edited February 2015

+1 that's different though, I would luv for somebody to give us time stretching with no strings attached but right now it's a little sad that they are only pushing sample libraries, and I think it's cool for beathawk cause that's really their thing but if everybody starts doing this and they don't let us use this feature on our own material that would be unfortunate.

you know we were just talking about it in another thread around here, about novation making it so tedious to use your own loops… I don't know why some devs are trying to make things so hard on samplist but thankfully there are devs out there like dreamless etc… who really understand what this is about.

• So many of these conversations lack the context of user base numbers. Sample packs are a great and obvious continuing revenue stream if in fact the vast majority of purchasers/users are in the market for easy beats or whatever rather than making/mangling their own....sometimes I think we are the vanguard driving this stuff forward for the good of all musical humanity, but other times I suspect we may be a group of befuddled blind old men off in an abandoned greenhouse while the mansion of commerce dances and laughs.

/coffee.

• @BastienCo I have the problem with Library disappears but only without internet connection and after crash (the app have some random crash) but when I connect to internet again my library come back... (I buy all your library ...+ 1 for add more)....

• edited February 2015

Sample-Players with next to no tweak-ability just make everyone sound the same, that's why most of the 'modern' music is really downright boring (sure it generates revenue from zombie-like consumers), at least when the only fun part remaining is trying to try and identify from what sample-packs the sounds that we are hearing come from.
    (I personally hear way too well what Logic Pro X preset-sounds (And scary enough Garageband Apple Loops) are used in the tracks i hear on the radio).

It could be that the approach is different, to make 'bread and butter' soundtracks that play for a few weeks and sound 'modern' on the Radio the loop-libraries are priceless since it makes everyone recognise the tunes. It's 'Main Stream'.

We do have many great apps to shape and create our owns sounds and yet many resort to using ready-made presets, loops and sample packs. I'm more of a 'sound sculptor' than a 'composer' which might be reflected in feature requests that may be out of scope for some apps...

Being an App-Junkie doesn't help either...

• If people are happy with using other people's loops, that's fine, I would however like to be able to create my own loops and samples in a format that's compatible with the format used in the app. It'd be nice if an editor like Loop Editor 2 that you can use to create Apple Loops, ACID files, and even import ReCycle files were available for iOS as well as a sounfont editor so that we can import our own sounds.

• This should be a feature in Audioshare ;)

• Would be cool to have a Sampler Layering for create an Instrument like in Beatmaker2

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    So many of these conversations lack the context of user base numbers. Sample packs are a great and obvious continuing revenue stream if in fact the vast majority of purchasers/users are in the market for easy beats or whatever rather than making/mangling their own....sometimes I think we are the vanguard driving this stuff forward for the good of all musical humanity, but other times I suspect we may be a group of befuddled blind old men off in an abandoned greenhouse while the mansion of commerce dances and laughs.

/coffee.

I think everything has it's place Johnny and UVi is a great sample library dev that has been doing this for a long time. I just think that before biting their idea that R. Nym should prioritize fixing the bugs that have been with us since the original version of the impc and carried over into this (pro)iteration of the app, both of which I paid for.
    I just think maintaining your app has a place just as much as sample libraries. I also don't appreciate when a dev that knows better trys to hamstring the functionality of an app by offering a requested feature but not allowing you to use your own music with that feature. as a side note I play other instruments but these kind of conversations only seem to happen in regards to samplers, I never encounter them on guitar forums or even synthesis forums, in those context everyone is cool with making your own music. the irony is that with sampling people used to complain that the art form wasn't original enough. Lastly I thought that the next video Retronyms made would be a video of the impc pro working with all of the major class compliant audio cards, I would have thought that this would be the first thing on their list of issues that they wanted to solve for all of their customers.

• @MoonWolf said:
    Thanks for joining the conversation, BastienCo. Gotta love devs that listen!

This is a crazy phenomenon I've only experienced here regularly. Testament to the dev. Testament to the forum. I wish both continued success.

• Version 1.0.2 has been released and now audio works perfectly with IAA and AB

@Sinapsya said:
    BastienCo I have the problem with Library disappears but only without internet connection and after crash (the app have some random crash) but when I connect to internet again my library come back... (I buy all your library ...+ 1 for add more)...

Extensions are not stored by default in the app, they are downloaded. We made it that way because there is going to be plenty on new extensions coming. At the release of the app we had issue with apple, they fixed it. It should work now but don't forget that Beathawk is installed in 2 steps: getting the app in the app store and then launch it and see additional download process from the browser.

• Now after last update all going right :-)

• IOS desperately needs a full blown sampler. If you guys evolve BH into a full blown sampler, many and I mean, a lot of folks here would be willing to pay for it, including me, for the Sampler IAP. Seriously, this would revolutionize it all!
    This way you would cater to a lot of folks that love to purchase packs as well as those that love sampling!
    Just my humble opinion.

• edited February 2015

@BastienCo said:
    Version 1.0.2 has been released and now audio works perfectly with IAA and AB

Are there any plans for a multi-output option via Audiobus for each of the 16 tracks....?

..this would be great to add my own fx to each track separately...via Audiobus & Cubasis...

• Anyone know if it's safe to download the latest update?

• @BastienCo Would appreciate a little house keeping on the User Library. I know you indicated (brilliant!) that you were working on extending the file management to allow User files to take advantage of the Category and Group columns, but if nothing else just being able to display the User Instrument/Sample list either by date or (better) alphabetically would be a big step forward.

It would also be far less frustrating if when you have completed an action (say deleting a sample) in the user Library the app didn't throw you back into the first general category in the library rather than leaving you where you were. Small matter, but the sort of thing that cuts workflow off at the knees...

Thanks for your efforts.

• @vorgon : I still have the issue of incomplete libraries.My purchased packs sometimes
    show but most of the times when I launch BH only a few of them are available.As soon
    as I delete something (project) the library is refreshed and all my packs are visible.
    iPad4, iOS 8.1.3

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    BastienCo ....just being able to display the User Instrument/Sample list either by date or (better) alphabetically would be a big step forward.

Mine is in Alphabetical order?

It would also be far less frustrating if when you have completed an action (say deleting a sample) in the user Library the app didn't throw you back into the first general category in the library rather than leaving you where you were. Small matter, but the sort of thing that cuts workflow off at the knees...

Have to agree with this one :)

• edited February 2015

@DaveMagoo Sorry, internet deafness. Is yours indeed alphabetical? If so, did you pay extra? Know someone in the know? Pre-emptively jealous.

• edited February 2015

@DaveMagoo said:

You sir are a scoundrel!

And I but the saddest dog.

You with a perfect list

while I'm here in the fog...

• Even after rereading the manual I am pretty confused about Beathawk's MIDI Implementation.
    1. Is Beathawk's MIDI input locked on OMNI ONLY? How do you assign BeatHawk to just a single channel? Under OMNI-In it's kind of useless / in the way.

1. I don't understand the MIDI Input selections in the "Preferences" menu, (not the "Audio/MIDI Prefs" menu)] - Any help?
      a) Send Omni - Well I don't want BeatHawk creating any more MIDI traffic I just want it to be a destination, but if I don't leave this checked, I don't get a response from my controller.
      b) Midi Select - If this is about selecting presets or kits, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get any sort of MIDI doing any sort of patch or sample selecting. What does this even do? It is off by default.
      c) Send to Selected Pad - Again, even after reading the manual I don't understand what this does.

2. More a bug report really - If you are playing a pitched pad and switch back to the 16-pad layout while the pitched note is still playing, no MIDI Off is ever sent so the note just hangs. Retriggering the note or pad does nothing, even going back into pitch mode and hitting the same note. For some reason, only hitting the Stop button causes some sort of Panic! to be sent and stop the note.

(Recommendations:
    1. What would make this app CRUSH as a performance engine is if we could send a MIDI CC command to FLIP between Pitch and Pad mode. How this interacts with the "load an entire kit on a single pad" thing or the prefab sample "choppa" mode, I could not say since I don't f with those.
    2. As crappy as it is on iOS, at least some sort of nod to MIDI Sync.

• no idea what you are asking but i can assign each pad to a virtual midi channel (1-16) in Cubasis.

• @boberto

First of all, what you need to understand is that BH is a multi timbral instrument with one dedicated MIDI channel per pad. This is not really practical for quick editing, so there are tricks for this

"Send Omni" doesn't mean that BH send any MIDI data but that the channel is discarded in the received MIDI and you will be able to play all pads using a single MIDI channel (which means that in pad mod you cannot choose the pitch of the pad but only play a C3)
    "Send to Selected Pad" means that BH only send MIDI data to the currently selected pad. like in pitch mode.
    "MIDI select" just select visually the pad with MIDI (as opposed to by clicking on the iPad only)

Unless you trigger BH from an external sequencer or know what you are doing, you probably don't want to change this :)

HTH

• edited March 2015

@otristan Is it possible to implement the following:

-Multiple Outputs (16/1 per track) via Audiobus multi routing?

....it would look something like the image attached when selecting a specific BeatHawk track as an Audiobus Input ....

This would open up a wealth of possibilities to use FX in the Audiobus chain and FX in such apps as Cubasis/Auria per track as opposed to just the overall mix.

...pretty please :)

• This will probably happen some day but can't give you any time frame though. Next feature in 1.0.3 is MIDI input using IAA as well as bug fixes.