Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beathawk Feedback

Comments

• @BastienCo said:

@ecamburn said:
    Great to see some action on Beathawk @BastienCo . Having Link added would make me download BH again. Having a pad mode where touching the pad toggles playing the sample on and off (and loops keep looping) would make me work hard to incorporate BH into my workflow. ;)

You can already do something similar to "toggles playing the sample on and off" if you enable "One Shot" on Edit Panel, this is not available for instruments as sustain may last forever. Did you check it out ?

I know I am already a supporter/proponent of this app and its feel, but there's probably room (amongst all that developing :)) for another video or two. I'm guessing most folks still don't quite understand the reach and range of BH....maybe along with the next release? :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@BastienCo said:

@ecamburn said:
    Great to see some action on Beathawk @BastienCo . Having Link added would make me download BH again. Having a pad mode where touching the pad toggles playing the sample on and off (and loops keep looping) would make me work hard to incorporate BH into my workflow. ;)

You can already do something similar to "toggles playing the sample on and off" if you enable "One Shot" on Edit Panel, this is not available for instruments as sustain may last forever. Did you check it out ?

I know I am already a supporter/proponent of this app and its feel, but there's probably room (amongst all that developing :)) for another video or two. I'm guessing most folks still don't quite understand the reach and range of BH....maybe along with the next release? :)

Some videos are planed indeed. You are right some features are not explained enough. We have to improve this :)

• edited February 2016

Thank you for your responds. Metronome problem solved, I oversaw that one. Thank you.
    But still can"t get to my purchased sample pack. Restore Purchases does not seem to do anything.
    And I tried midi sync with Patterning; but no success both ways, sync in and sending sync out. No sync. I still can't use the app. I did the support form 7 days ago now.

• @BastienCo

If it's not done, or not too late, could you make the mod slider in the pitch section saved with the project?

• @BastienCo said:

@ecamburn said:

For loops? I loaded one of the factory loops on to a pad and the ONE-SHOT button is not visible. The ONE-SHOT button is only visible for single hit samples (what I would consider one shots). What I'm looking for is basically latch behavior for pads that contain loops. Without this latching, to play a loop you have to keep your finger pressed on a pad which isn't a great workflow if you're using BH primarily to trigger loops.

• edited February 2016

@senhorlampada said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    I have used BeatHawk extensively and it has been generally problem free for me.

Same here... pretty much working awesome ;)

BTW, i'm love with your track ;) wooow

Thx so much, senhorlampada. BeatHawk is pretty much all over all of my Lady App-titude tracks, except for my most recent one, where I turned to iMaschine 2 for beats.

• @Lady_App_titude , I really like your work, including your latest "Vision of the Future"!

I also enjoy using BeatHawk and SynthMaster, see link below. I tried real hard to make a realistic sax sound and performance using a sax patch from SampleTank. I think I was somewhat successful. Nothing beats a real talented sax player using a real sax.

• Yes @bsantoro, while things have improved dramatically over the years, sax remains one instrument where you still really need a real player. And for some tunes it becomes such a salient element that I have to just bite the bullet and hire someone. There are a number of great people out there online who will overdub to your tracks. I've worked with several of them, but this guy was by far the best experience yet.

I was going to just have a Rhodes solo in those passages, but I kept thinking how much cooler it would be with sax. I found the right person, and sure enough, as soon as I heard those sections with sax, I knew I'd done the right thing. He gave me 3 takes work with (excellent playing on complicated passages with super fast turnaround time) and I comp-ed together the final master sax track from that.

I listened to about 8-10 of your tracks at the top of your list. I think I liked the two Fugue cuts the best. I also liked one of the earlier ones called "Beathawk Take 2" a lot (however, it seemed to have some digital clipping).

• @Lady_App_titude thank you very much for giving my tunes a listen.

I am more and more impressed with the Roli Seaboard Rise keyboards for their expressive potential. Below, I have a YouTube link for a Roli Rise demonstration. The guy in the middle starts using a sax patch at about 3:47 into the clip. Pretty impressive.

If one were to write a symphonic score, and had a budget to hire an orchestra, that seems the ideal thing to do. But, if one is an advance hobbiest, like myself, with a limited budget, maybe using something like Synful (see link below), or other synthesized/sampler approach could be used to to perform the piece on a keyboard controller. It is all a matter of budget. I am glad you were able to hire such a talented musician.

https://synfulauth.com

• edited February 2016

Heh-heh, as someone who has never made a single penny off of any of my Lady App-titude projects, I feel ya on the budget thing. :-)

Another great option is the Sample Modeling stuff:

http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products_saxes.php

Esp. when combined w/ a breath controller.

As I say, emulation is getting better all the time.

The Seaboard is incredibly expensive still, and I still hear a lot of pitch/intonation problems, even with these expert players like in the video you posted. So there is definitely some learning curve on top of the major hardware investment.

On an iOS scale, something like Geoshred offers amazing potential, if it could be combined with clever sax sampling/programming.

But sometimes you just gotta go for the real thing! There are so many great players out there. It's not that expensive if you are only using it in certain sections and you have someone who can deliver masterful work in just a few takes, and SO worth it for certain projects.

• One iOS app I have never tried is iFretless Sax. It takes up a lot of memory on the iPad, but could be worth it for someone trying to imitate a sax.

• iFretless sax is lovely. Still not the real thing (of course), but for color work can be a good addition.

• edited February 2016

I have tried iFretless bass. It's quite cool. Expressive. Still can't figure out how they manage a kind of touch sensitivity on iPad.

Oh and full orchestra or ensembles, we've reached the point where those can deliver final results. Plenty of composers are now routinely using MIDI orchestral mockups for final scores. Drums, piano, many other instruments, yes. But an expressive instrument like solo sax or violin in a exposed prominently featured spot. We're not there yet. For me, it's like a singer. Need the real thing.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I have tried iFretless bass. It's quite cool. Expressive. Still can't figure out how they manage a kind of touch sensitivity on iPad.

Oh and full orchestra or ensembles, we've reached the point where those can deliver final results. Plenty of composers are now routinely using MIDI orchestral mockups for final scores. Drums, piano, many other instruments, yes. But an expressive instrument like solo sax or violin in a exposed prominently featured spot. We're not there yet. For me, it's like a singer. Need the real thing.

I think you're on the money here. I also suspect that these things that are harder to create versions of, the expressive things, are going to see their stock rise yet further (as it were).

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

I think you're on the money here. I also suspect that these things that are harder to create versions of, the expressive things, are going to see their stock rise yet further (as it were).

Yep I've given up trying to make anything solo sound like the real deal. I now make them obviously synthetic and FXed to the max :p

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

Yep I've given up trying to make anything solo sound like the real deal. I now make them obviously synthetic and FXed to the max :p

Yes exactly. Either a very convincing imitation or totally synthetic, but cheesy imitation? No.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yes exactly. Either a very convincing imitation or totally synthetic, but cheesy imitation? No.

Not always cheesy, just searching for a sounds own identity, instead of trying to make it a pale imitation of another instrument :)

• One thing that works surprisingly well is MIDI guitar into something like Sampletank or Lyra. Still not the real thing, but when I tried it I was amazed at how similar guitar intonations can be to saxophone, especially how hammer-ons and pull-offs sound almost exactly like a sax player riding the keys. It's one of those things you need to try for yourself I think, but if you play guitar it's definitely worth testing.

• At least one more bank of 16 pads and grid view - it would make Beathawk my No1 app.

It's the only app I'm aware of which is very close to the simple and yet amazing workflow of the original MPCs.
    ( Compared to iMPC Pro, Beathawk is the far superior beat-making app )

• @Tommygun said:
    At least one more bank of 16 pads and grid view - it would make Beathawk my No1 app.

It's the only app I'm aware of which is very close to the simple and yet amazing workflow of the original MPCs.

I agree with this, at least in theory. I am always in a mild panic that I will run out of bank slots. I never have yet, but the fear lingers....have also come to love the song mode (which I appreciate now far more than I did when first fiddling with BH). The simplicity of visually muting different instruments pads per insertion (rather than per pattern) is a tremendous help with building structure and adding complexity.

• Yes, I would SO love to be able to fix single off-time notes quickly and visually. It wastes so much time doing Erase and then waiting and trying to get it right on the next pass, etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Tommygun said:
    At least one more bank of 16 pads and grid view - it would make Beathawk my No1 app.

I agree with this, at least in theory. I am always in a mild panic that I will run out of bank slots. I never have yet, but the fear lingers....have also come to love the song mode (which I appreciate now far more than I did when first fiddling with BH). The simplicity of visually muting different instruments pads per insertion (rather than per pattern) is a tremendous help with building structure and adding complexity.

I'm using drumkits that I put together myself ( chopped breakbeats ). I'm doing this on the computer and transfer the single hits into Audioshare. And if I'm using a realtively complex funk break there are often 10 to 16 hits which I ( could ) use. I'd love to have one bank exclusively for drum hits and the rest for bass/lead/whatever samples.
    So, yeah, at least one more bank would be very welcome :p

• @Tommygun said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Tommygun said:

I'm using drumkits that I put together myself ( chopped breakbeats ). I'm doing this on the computer and transfer the single hits into Audioshare. And if I'm using a realtively complex funk break there are often 10 to 16 hits which I ( could ) use. I'd love to have one bank exclusively for drum hits and the rest for bass/lead/whatever samples.
    So, yeah, at least one more bank would be very welcome :p

This makes perfect sense. Perhaps this is something (as regards a drum bank) that our friends at BH could add to their list...

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Yes, I would SO love to be able to fix single off-time notes quickly and visually. It wastes so much time doing Erase and then waiting and trying to get it right on the next pass, etc.

This would be priceless. Especially for placing shuffle/"ghost" hits...
    I'm dreaming of something like the drum grid in Gadget :*
    Yes, I'm only dreaming... ;)
    Ok, doesn't have to be that extensive... But visual feedback would be awesome.

• Very pleased to discover a way to integrate Beathawk in current work flow

I had been waiting for the next update (beta features that addressed BH MIDI promiscuity afforded Beathawk a place in a clip launch scheme using Audiobis, Genome, BH, drum synth, couple synths, all singing dancing and streaming audio into MTS). Beta ended and BH couldn't hang with Genome, BH pre update responded promiscuously once again and received all note messages from all clips

Tried Beathawk inside Modstep and promiscuity issues sidestepped: Modsteps IAA implementation allows me to use Beathawk along side Tera, Animoog, iSpark (or my still preferred Strokemachine). No midi note leakage, can seqeunce full BH banks or sequence single pads via BH pitch keyboard...turns iPad into a Gadget that accesses and sequences all the bigboy synths, and Beathawk too

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Very pleased to discover a way to integrate Beathawk in current work flow

I had been waiting for the next update (beta features that addressed BH MIDI promiscuity afforded Beathawk a place in a clip launch scheme using Audiobis, Genome, BH, drum synth, couple synths, all singing dancing and streaming audio into MTS). Beta ended and BH couldn't hang with Genome, BH pre update responded promiscuously once again and received all note messages from all clips

Tried Beathawk inside Modstep and promiscuity issues sidestepped: Modsteps IAA implementation allows me to use Beathawk along side Tera, Animoog, iSpark (or my still preferred Strokemachine). No midi note leakage, can seqeunce full BH banks or sequence single pads via BH pitch keyboard...turns iPad into a Gadget that accesses and sequences all the bigboy synths, and Beathawk too

I would need a day with blinders on to figure this out, but great that you did. And there's more to come from these boys...

• I think BeatHawk is easier to use than Akai MPC.

• @studs1966 said:
    I think BeatHawk is easier to use than Akai MPC.

It is. So there's rooooooom enough for some more nice little features B)

• edited February 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Very pleased to discover a way to integrate Beathawk in current work flow

I would need a day with blinders on to figure this out, but great that you did. And there's more to come from these boys...

"blinders on" describes me pretty accurately these days
    Been counting the minutes (for months now) for that More that's Coming:
    The features in the beta I tried freaked me out in the best possibile way. The beauty of BH in Modstep is that Modstep does a lot of those things for BH as is.

@studs1966 said:
    I think BeatHawk is easier to use than Akai MPC.

Agreed. Beathawk is a stealthy MPC killer. I completely underestimated it at first, something about the color scheme and the name threw me, sometimes I get a case of pro-sumer stupids based on superficial GUI factors. I've fought that with Gadget too.

• @Littlewoodg said:

I completely underestimated it at first, something about the color scheme and the name threw me, sometimes I get a case of pro-sumer stupids based on superficial GUI factors.

Right here. I felt exactly the same way. Not chrome enough. Not polished. I dunno. Just not the obvious shit. But I was wrong.