Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beathawk Feedback

Comments

• Great update!!!

• some weird ui decisions in this update. I really don't like it.

to open midi preferences was always two taps, now it is four taps (and looks ugly). why is four taps better than two? mystery!

the super large gray pop-up on start: very ugly.

fixes are good, new features are good, ugly is bad.

• @Proppa said:

» Browser: added preview for user samples

Thank you!!

• edited August 2015

I'm thinking about picking up Beathawk and have a couple of questions for you experts.

I'm mainly planning to use it as a loop/oneshot launcher to sketch out arrangements ala Novation Launchpad.
    So here are my questions.

*How well does BH work with user-created loops? Does it recognize tempos well with cleanly cut loops? Does the timestretching work well?

*Is it possible to delete factory content? :-)

*Are there separate IAA audio outs for each track?

*4/4 time sig only?

• edited August 2015

This is a quiet room. :-)

Pulled the trigger and purchased Beathawk. It fills about 80% of my needs for a loop launcher/arrangement sketcher, but has some pretty significant limitations for this workflow. Sent a support email to the dev with feature requests and am pasting them here in case the dev stops by.

Great product, a couple of feature requests...

*A pad mode where touching the pad toggles playing the sample on and off (and loops keep looping). This would be even better if the setting could be pad specific which would allow loops to keep looping on some pads while triggering one shots on other pads

Improved timestretching. User imported loops aren't timestretched automatically. And after import are recognized differently than factory loops (why?) The % stretch slider isn't an optimal workflow IMO. Either you have to adjust by ear or pull out a calculator to figure out the percent change between two tempos. :-) Hard to dial in a precise percent with the slider. When you double tap and enter a value, there doesn't seem to be any visual feedback about the value you typed.

*FWIW Launchpad does timestretching really nicely. When you import a loop for the first time your prompted for the BPM and a descriptive tag.

[edited out stuff I found in the manual]

• I bought this yesterday and had a little play with it. Maybe I'm missing something but the IAPs don't seem to have all that much content? For example I bought the "Trip Hop" pack, and there's hardly anything in it, a few drum loops, drum sounds and a meagre selection of sound effects, that's it?

• edited August 2015

[deleted double post]

• @richardyot said:
    I bought this yesterday and had a little play with it. Maybe I'm missing something but the IAPs don't seem to have all that much content? For example I bought the "Trip Hop" pack, and there's hardly anything in it, a few drum loops, drum sounds and a meagre selection of sound effects, that's it?

I really like BH and can see how it might fit you, BUT it does lack a timeline which you seem to love in Gadget. This (perversity be my middle name) is one of the things I love about BH, somehow the lack of evident precision leads (me) (sometimes) to better performance, creativity etc. I don't see it as a standalone or goto solution, but a good weapon in the war.

As for the packs, I've found them variable, for sure, but lost concern about that when import sample kicked in. I also like the ability to so easily play the samples (imported or bought) over the keyboard....

• fewer options means less time wasted fiddling with options :)

• edited February 2016

Well, to dredge up an old thread: somebody is still trying to use this app and having lots of trouble. My purchased sample packs are invisible, the whole store part seem to have been gone, even after re-install twice. Midi sync does nothing, it just does not work. The metronome is always sounding when recording, which takes away creative performance options.

The app is not updated in 7 months. One in the row of many many pricey unfinished apps cashing in on expectations for the future and not delivering? Or just a way to sell pricey samples...

I did contact support about the missing sample packs, but no reply after 7 days now.
    Not happy.

• I did some beta with what were/are some major steps forward. Haven't heard from them for a while, but have been expecting something (especially with all the new Gadget/Cubasis action). Still hopeful. Still like working with the app, it provides (talking of creativity) something I just don't feel/find anywhere else...

• I did some short 'testing' of this app but refused to sign the NDA and thus was not allowed to continue testing. I did report a few issues that were supposed to be fixed 'within weeks' and submitted to Apple, but there has been no updates to it, that was over 6 months ago.

Feels like 'abandonware' maybe people didn't buy enough sound packs or something...

• I can't talk about details but the app is far from being abandoned. Bigger features take time to develop and design ...

• I'd guess UVI's been pretty busy with Falcon and will probably come back to Beathawk eventually.

• @nick said:
    I can't talk about details but the app is far from being abandoned. Bigger features take time to develop and design ...

Good to know. This means that we have something nice to look forward to, things like 'piano-roll', more advanced 'sampling' and 'sample/instrument-editing' and a less 'bugs' ;)

• i first want the advertised and payed for product(s) to function.new app releases and NAMM visits are none of my bussiness

• @nick said:
    I can't talk about details but the app is far from being abandoned. Bigger features take time to develop and design...

Good.

• @oristan and @BastienCo, Is there any possibility that BeatHawk could become Link compatible? That would not only improve the AudioBus workflow, but would be great for live performances with other apps.

• edited February 2016

I have used BeatHawk extensively and it has been generally problem free for me. I did, however, have a problem once where it got corrupted somehow and I lost sound and playback.

The fix was to connect to a computer and delete the database (a file called "beathawk.db). If you are having problems, try deleting that. It can be done with iTunes or iFunbox (which is what I use, because it's quicker).

I should add that my last project with Beathawk was done with iOS 8 and I haven't used it since my recent update to iOS 9. But just now I tested it and it seemed to be fine so far. I was able to successfully load and play back an old project, and created a new project/kit and saved it without problems. All seemed to be working as normal, but haven't tested beyond that.

As far as I'm concerned, Beathawk is far from dead and is an iPad app that I have relied upon more than any other. As an example, my recently-completed track "Lemon Tart" was done largely with Beathawk:

Cheers,
    Lady App.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I have used BeatHawk extensively and it has been generally problem free for me.

Same here... pretty much working awesome ;)

BTW, i'm love with your track ;) wooow

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I have used BeatHawk extensively and it has been generally problem free for me. I did, however, have a problem once where it got corrupted somehow and I lost sound and playback.

The fix was to connect to a computer and delete the database (a file called "beathawk.db). If you are having problems, try deleting that. It can be done with iTunes or iFunbox (which is what I use, because it's quicker).

I should add that my last project with Beathawk was done with iOS 8 and I haven't used it since my recent update to iOS 9. But just now I tested it and it seemed to be fine so far. I was able to successfully load and play back an old project, and created a new project/kit and saved it without problems. All seemed to be working as normal, but haven't tested beyond that.

As far as I'm concerned, Beathawk is far from dead and is an iPad app that I have relied upon more than any other. As an example, my recently-completed track "Lemon Tart" was done largely with Beathawk:

Cheers,
    Lady App.

Nice and funky track. What bass did you use in Beathawk may I ask?

• @Halftone said:

Nice and funky track. What bass did you use in Beathawk may I ask?

Thx. Funk expansion pack.

• @oristan and @BastienCo, Is there any possibility that BeatHawk could become Link compatible? That would not only improve the AudioBus workflow, but would be great for live performances with other apps.

I am glad to inform you that we already implemented Link in Beathawk. It will be available in the next BeatHawk version. Stay Tuned !

• edited February 2016

@BastienCo said:

@oristan and @BastienCo, Is there any possibility that BeatHawk could become Link compatible? That would not only improve the AudioBus workflow, but would be great for live performances with other apps.

I am glad to inform you that we already implemented Link in Beathawk. It will be available in the next BeatHawk version. Stay Tuned !

Yyyyyyaaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!
    Downloading again, awaiting liiiink....

• @Ashlan said:

@BastienCo said:

@oristan and @BastienCo, Is there any possibility that BeatHawk could become Link compatible? That would not only improve the AudioBus workflow, but would be great for live performances with other apps.

Yyyyyyaaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!
    Downloading again, awaiting liiiink....

Yepp, this will be really nice!
    I may even get a few more IAPs to show my support once the update pops up in the AppStore :)

• @oristan and @BastienCo

For me it is not working in the present.

Any change of responding to my problems?
    purchased sample packs are invisible, the whole store part seem to have been gone, even after re-install twice. Midi sync does nothing, it just does not work. The metronome is always sounding when recording, which takes away creative performance options.

Lady App, thank you for your suggestion!
    Will try that if I ever feel like having the time to hook up my ipad to a computer.
    Ask to use my friends computer than. install the beautifull itunes and all yippie,

• @BastienCo said:

Great to hear. Already thinking about what to do next (with Link and BH :)....

• @teknoid said:
    @oristan and @BastienCo

For me it is not working in the present.

Any change of responding to my problems?
    purchased sample packs are invisible, the whole store part seem to have been gone, even after re-install twice. Midi sync does nothing, it just does not work. The metronome is always sounding when recording, which takes away creative performance options.

Lady App, thank you for your suggestion!
    Will try that if I ever feel like having the time to hook up my ipad to a computer.
    Ask to use my friends computer than. install the beautifull itunes and all yippie,

In browser menu you should hit "Restore Purchases" this re-syncs purchased content with Apple.
    In preferences panel you can change metronome settings.

• edited February 2016

Great to see some action on Beathawk @BastienCo . This is one of the apps I really want to like because it has so much going for it, but as of yet haven't been able to fit it into my workflow. Having Link would be a big plus. Having an additional pad mode where touching the pad toggles playing the sample on and off (and loops keep looping) would make BH much more usable for my use case which is sketching out song arrangements through live triggering of loops and samples.

• @ecamburn said:
    Great to see some action on Beathawk @BastienCo . Having Link added would make me download BH again. Having a pad mode where touching the pad toggles playing the sample on and off (and loops keep looping) would make me work hard to incorporate BH into my workflow. ;)

You can already do something similar to "toggles playing the sample on and off" if you enable "One Shot" on Edit Panel, this is not available for instruments as sustain may last forever. Did you check it out ?