Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Impaktor on the Bus! :)

Great news this afternoon! :)

Impaktor in the Input Slot.

Comments

• edited April 2013

Yes! But it seems, for me, that when I use it with Audiobus, the sensitivity changes. For example I get multiple hits (like a fast delay) when I use Tabla preset, which aren't there when I use Tabla preset without AB.

• edited April 2013

Input slot only? No feeding synth or drum machine input into it? ...yay...

If it had just been effects slot only we could still have fed the mic input through to it and got the current functionality as well as feeding other apps through it. What an anticlimax. :(

• edited March 2014

• edited April 2013

Er, yes. It takes sound as an input and produces different sound as an output. Just what effects do. This very functionality was suggested to the dev months ago. Latency is irrelevant in this example as long as the tempo is correct as everything can be adjusted in the DAW.

I'm happy that you got what you were hoping for. I didn't.

• edited March 2014

• edited April 2013

Something about shroomstruments...

giku January 3

• Impaktor uses 128 bytes latency, AudioBus 256 (no less)...  (it makes a difference for realtime drumming believe me).
    • Impaktor is driven by audio signal - like tapping a desk
    • It has it's own loop recorder with quantization

How would you use AudioBus with Impaktor?

l_b January 9
    But Giku, It would still be a great sound source.

I would use it by simply tapping a desk. Ok, I would need to get used to the higher latency (when using the bus, right?), but that's not a problem if the rich sounds of Impaktor are the reward. Unless using the microphone in background mode is an issue. If so, then even playback from recorder would be much more efficient than AudioCopy/Paste, especially after the latest updates where the play button actually starts playback from the beginning of the loop.
    There is also the quick switching between apps which saves a few taps.

I know you're probably quite busy, but Sunrizer got Audiobus and maybe it wouldn't take too long to add it to Impaktor. It's kind of left out...

( Also, I have read somewhere that opening NLog before other Audiobus apps will sort out some latency problems, but that might have been in relation to an iPad mini performance issue, so might not be relevant here...)
    Happy New Year by the way

giku January 11
    Happy new year! I gonna give it a try, if it works ok, voilla

Sans_Nom January 16
    It could be used as an effect processor. The audio source would be other synths/sampler/whatever. This would give a midi control over impaktor and give the ability to shape the noise impulse (so that it could work more or less like reaktor prism).

giku January 17
    It's like attaching a radio speaker to korg wavedrum . This is what you get... a shroomstrument

• edited March 2014

• edited April 2013

Yeah, it was ambiguous, but I was hopeful as the idea had been planted. If I was a dev, I'd be putting my app in every slot available. Why limit users to using an app only in the way I intended? They can use it as a paperweight if it means they buy the thing. As long as they're happy...

• edited March 2014

• WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh s***!!!!

thanks for updating guys! this is equal to BM2 being added to audiobus!

• edited April 2013

@Simon I was a C developer for nearly 20 years, not in audio, but I did write realtime and asynchronous comms handlers. I suspect the reason Impaktor is input slot only is that it preserves the live instrument, instant response philosophy that the dev has in his head as he's probably not had to change the audio input routines. Only changing the audio output routines to accommodate Audiobus probably means that most latency is only incurred after Impactor has done its thing. i haven't seen the code, so obviously that's supposition, but I do know for a fact that all the Audiobus related changes can be made conditional with very little overhead, so whatever the running environment of the app, it could use code optimised for that purpose.
    The irritating thing is that any extra latency when driving Impaktor (as is) from the output of another app would not matter for recording purposes, as beat alignment could be adjusted later.

• edited March 2014

• One of my favourite apps. Excellent.

• Good job Jacek.

• You can alter the latency inside Impaktor to 256 or 512, they say 512 is too slow but it played OK. Opening Audiobus first sets the Latency to your device, if you open Impaktor first Audiobus give you a warning..I'm playing around with all the different settings at the moment to see which is best for this iPad 2..the other option is record your basic track inside Impaktor first then set it up in the input slot and record the finished loop in to your DAW of choice, then add fills and bits as required. one good thing about doing it this way is that you could add effects on the fly as the loop plays.

• @thesoundtestroom That's what I concluded would be best for my workflow as well, though I expect I'll start up Audiobus first for convenience's sake.

• just downloaded this today. so glad i did. sweet app.

• I love this app! Very inspiring that it's on the Bus!

• Good news. Sadly, no effect slot. I have the feeling that the dev don't see the potential of this combination.