Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MidiBridge and Korg iMS-20

Is there any way to block input channels 2 through 16 on the Korg iMS-20 using MidiBridge?

Comments

• Yeah, use the event filter. :-)

• edited April 2013

I've tried a couple of different routings and so far no luck. Event filter (in) on the iMS-20 with module on and module configuration options selected and turned on as well. Cubasis is my sequencer. Any hints on how to set it up?

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm trying to prevent the midi notes on my other midi channels trigger the iMS-20. So for example, I have Sunrizer on midi channel 3 and Thumbjam on midi channel 4. The note events on their channels are triggering the peripheral functions on the iMS-20.

• I have a nasty feeling that the problem is compunded by the fact that iMS-20 is listening to all CoreMIDI sources as well as its own which could be the root of the problem, in which case no amount of filtering will help. However, maybe I'm wrong (don't own any Korg apps, but remember this was a problem when they first came out), so you could try the following:

First make sure that Cubasis is only sending to it's own virtual out and that iMS-20 is only listening to its own virtual in. Same for other apps like Sunrizer and Thumbjam (only listening to their own virtual ins). That way everything goes through MidiBridge only.

In MidiBridge connect Cubasis in to iMS-20 out (and Cubasis in to SR and TJ out too). You could add a jitter value of 50 in the MidiBridge options to improve sync from cubasis to all the apps.

On the iMS-20 port, configure your event filter (in is fine) as follows to only allow channel 1 notes (which is the same as blocking channels 2-16):

• Press the 'On' button if it isn't green
    • Press 'Allow' button to make it go green
    • Press '1' in the table (and press others) so the only green number is 1
    • Press 'Note On/Off' and it will go green
    • Press the matrix apply button to the right of it (it will also go green) to make the Note events channelised according to the number table above (maybe this is the step you are missing)

The event filter will now only allow note events on channel 1 through.

I've made assumptions about the Korg app, but the above is pretty close to the filter setup you are looking for I reckon.

• Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't work. I'll just mothball iMS-20 until Korg puts in better midi control. No big deal as there are plenty of other virtual analog synths to choose from.

• What are you trying to control it with? You shouldn't have to "mothball" it.. If i can get it working i'll make a video to show you how.

• Thanks Ryan. I'm controlling with Cubasis. I hope it's just a case of user error.

• edited April 2013

Aww.. I don't own cubasis.. I can't help you. Sorry.

Any ideas @thesoundtestroom ?

• I've just tried this but without midibridge and it works fine. Just set cubasis to output ims20 channel 1, etc, not virtual

• Yes works fine here too Cubasis Midi Connections to iMS20 Ch1 for synth, Ch2 for Drum 1 in the order of the mixer channels....through to Drum 6 on Ch7.

• Yup, got this to work to some extent in Cubasis. There was still a synth or two that would trigger a channel on iMS20 though. However, DaveMagoo just reminded me that iMS20 has a mixer, a feature of that app that I had yet to check out. So I just muted all the other mixer channels except 1on iMS20 and problem solved. Thanks for the help everyone.

• So I broke down and bought iMS-20, despite my misgivings about the midi limitations. I tried syncing to my Octatrack, but got nothing using MidiBridge to remap the channels.

No worries, baby steps...

So I then opened Little Midi Machine (mind you, I've never really used this app), and via MidiBridge I was able to route a channel other than 1 to iMS-20...but it appears that it will only communicate with the first drum section and not at all with the synth section. This isn't a dealbreaker, as I only intended to use it as a monophonic synth, but is their any way to just use the synth section without the drums when triggering it from another source?

• After playing around with this a bit more, it seems it isn't possible to work around the channel settings. The synth is hardwired to channel 1, and each part of the drum section is set to channels 2-7, and cannot be remapped in any way. Bummer, but it's still a hell of a synth, and now I want an MS-20 Mini.

On the drum section, is there any way to access the synth settings for the individual parts? It would be nice to tweak the preset sounds. Also, on the Kaoss Pads, are they locked to only controlling the filter cutoff and scale? It looks that way, but it would be nice to map something like the LFO rate.

• @Accent

If you scroll the synth view to the sequencer you will find a button that lets you map three parameters. Once you have done this for the ones you want go to Kaoss pad settings and set two for x and y.

To edit the drums, go to the drums page and for each drum there is a sound edit button where you can edit the drum sounds.

• @xen Can you send CCs to those parameters in the drum sections? Playing with it a bit suggests that you can send notes, but anything in the drum sections does not respond to CC, so you cannot change something like cutoff unless doing it manually in the app.

• xenxen
    edited November 2014

@Accent

No. The drum synths are different to the main synth. You create a sound in the drum synth and then when you go back to the sequencer the app works with a sample of the sound you created. You can tell this because if you set any time based modulation it changes rate if you change pitch. For it to work as you describe it would need 7 real time instances of the synth engine. If you look at the back end of the manual it has a MIDI map and lists all the CCs you can use on channel 1 for the main synth.