Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VIDEO: Logic Pro (from my iMac) realtime Guitar and Bass into Auria using Audiobus

edited April 2013 in Creations

In this video i'm routing audio FROM my desktop DAW (Logic Pro on my iMac) INTO Auria on my iPad, using Audiobus.

Some pseudo-mixing-and-mastering session included.

Video is here:

Greetings,

Mike

Comments

• Excuse bad mixing/mastering but did not have valid monitor reference in that moment

• Great video! I'd like to know how you routed Logic audio into the Bus. Did you mic your system speakers? Silly question I know :) but I'd love to be able to get my Logic audio into my iPad in real time. Cheers

• Hi Frankiejay.. thanks for your reply.

My setup is the following:

• FROM Output 7 of my Lexicon Soundcard (on iMac with Logic) TO my Apogee Jam input
      (i used a Reamp box in the middle of lexicon and apogee jam, in order to sbalance a already-balanced signal before to go into another DI (Apogee Jam has a DI circuit before the PREAMP))

• FROM 1/8" TSR minijack of my iPad TO input 5/6 of my Lexicon, to have a return track and record it with Screenflow.

Hope this will help :-)

Greetings,

M.

• P.S.: Obviously i've recorded a MONO signal into my iPad... but for now i only have Apogee Jam as mobile interface for my iPad.

• Nice video Mike, that's really cool how you have it all set up. Wish i knew how to do that. You didn't really use audiobus at all though.. kinda disappointing. I mean, I saw you had it open, but you didn't use any apps, just auria.. Would be exactly the same without audiobus. :-(

• Hi Ryan, thanks! I am sorry you are disappointed but I would demonstrate that is possible to grab any sound from a scenario (a Daw, a live recording, a singer, a 1950's piano etc.), EDIT it thru a fx app AND route it into another bus.. (from auria you could also in example go into a separate submix for another musician).. Unfortunately I do not have fx apps at the moment!

• @Mikegazzaruso: my understanding of audiobus is that the input slot accepts a mic input plus two other compatible apps. To route audio thru the input slot in real time would then be through the mic input. Except thru micing the audio I can't see another way? What fx app are you referring to please?
    Thank you for sharing your routing set up for audio from Ligic to Auria. Much much appreciated. I use a MOTU so will try that sort of routing. I also use a Roland VG99 and a Line6 variax so most times I don't have a need for getting my audio into iPad although I'm now digging the guitar amp fx apps like jamup pro xt and ampkit all thru the alesis io dock. Peace bro :)

• @FrankieJay: ok i will try to explain a little bit better eheh.. You could - in example - record a multichannel audio (let's say drums, 8 mics) plus a bass in your daw (via multichannel audiocard), but for some reason your bassist would prefer to have a little chorus only when he's recording (mixing engineer will add chorus and other effects permanently later during mix session). So you can route bass track (during recording, in realtime) INTO iPad... (audiobus input slot), open an FX in the audiobus thru slot (let's say jamup xt) and add some chorus... then shot it in audiobus' OUTPUT slot, where with Auria you can setup a secondary cue mix (multi-out card required attached to iPad of course) for your bassist and route it back in your DAW in order for it to be routed to your bassist.

Obviously you could make all the routings and fx addons directly on your DAW... but the fact is that in this way you can use your iPad as a realtime fx machine while tracking your musicians, without weight on your DAW computer's CPU.

:-)

• I've tested it in my studio today with a fx app loaded into THRU audiobus' slot and had setup a separate cue mix in my recording room to my drummer... i effected its snare and resended to him.. it works like a charm ! I used a Focusrite audio interface this time... soon i will make another video

• @Mikegazzaruso Right on man. I made a similar video about a week after audiobus came out. Although I just used an iphone into the iPad the demonstrate how you could record apps that didn't/don't support AB with AB. I wasn't THAT disappointed with your video, just thought that at least at some point you should've added animoog or Ampkit just to show how great it is with audiobus and that it's not just a way to route audio into a DAW. Besides, you obviously play guitar so you really should try the FX apps... JamUp and Ampkit are both just surprisingly amazing. You might prefer Ampkit as it gives you options to swap out cabinets and microphones. :-)

All in all though, the quality of your video was just excellent and I really look forward to your future videos. :-)

• Hi Ryan, really appreciate your comments man! No problems i understand and in effects i should have added an audio device like animoog etc. to add audiobus-spice to my video eheh.. in the next video will use Audulus and other synths and build a song from scratch with Audiobus... including a guitar-to-synth with a patch i prepared in Audulus.. stay tuned and thanks for your feedback!

M.

• edited April 2013

Oh! Nice. I like Audulus. Doesn't seem like anyone uses it really.. A video like that will probably really help people see how awesome it is. It'd be great if you share your patch with us along with the video. I could get some use out of that. Thanks man. :-)

• Yea I love the idea of Audulus just requires a good knowledge and amount of time to get some decent patches going. A few weeks ago, I came across some patches that are strictly fx patches, basically made for AB Effect slot, but I haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet.

Seems like this app could really be awesome, it just needs something, maybe to make it slightly more simple for ppl without an intense knowledge of music. The Dev is very active in updating and adding features which is great!

• I am interested in all things Audiobus and the above video is more like a tutorial. As a guy who uses Logic, I am intrigued by anything to do with Logic and iDevices. A lot of Audiobus related videos come across as too presumptuous, that is, the video makers assume everyone knows what they are talking about. I have a fairly good little studio and I've composed, orchestrated and released a self-financed album on all digital carriers so I am fairly conversant with music technology. I however have sympathy for newbies to the music tech game.

I saw Ryan's video and I found it very educational as he first of all explained how he connected iPhone to iPad, describing cabling etc and then demonstrated the use of apps within Audiobus. Simple and effective. I am not saying Mikegazzaruso's above video was not effective, it was because it caught my attention but Mikegazzruso's set-up is way complex to say the least ;)

The benefit of describing the set up used is to enable others to replicate what is being done. Audiobus is relatively new (I am a day 1 iPad owner in London) so enhancing its awesomeness needs people like Mikegazzaruso and Ryan sharing their knowledge and teaching us all as we all have different studio set-ups and varying levels of music and studio expertise.

BTW, Mikegazzaruso, I have seen your set-up and some of your other videos (Lydian coolness and JamUp XT Pro - great playing Sir) and I can say your equipment and studio look mightily awesome ;-) I am looking forward to your next Audiobus related video.

Sorry, I may have written too much. Not intentional. Peace.

• Thanks for all your comments and Thanks @FrankieJay you got the point, man! I'm a "maniac" of really intricate routings ahah, my fault since ever ;) @Ryan sure i will share my guitar-synth patch for Audulus, i love modular synthesis and i hope you will enjoy it!

For now i just uploaded right now a little video in which i used audiobus animoog and magellan to replicate a preferred tune of mine: Street Fighter Sagat Theme (there are SF fans over there? i hope eheh).. a fusionare theme in 11/8..

this is the link! Cheers!

• @FrankieJay Hey, thank you! Glad you like my videos. I try to give as much information as possible. :-)

@mikegazzaruso Sweet, I'll look forward to that. I commented on the new video in it's own thread but I will say, yes I know SF very well. I really like Ken's theme.. Guitar in that song is just awesome. I still play the solo a lot. :-)