Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How Are You Using The BUS?

edited April 2013 in Creations

For me... I still use Garageband for most of my tracks. Since GB is only for input now, I email my tracks, then open them in AudioShare.
Usually, my set up is like this....

Audiobus: AudioShare, Algoriddim's Djay, Thumbjam > ReMaster > Cubasis
Audiobus: Koassilator, GlitchBreaks, Samplr > LifeFX > Cubasis
Audiobus: Thumbjam, Drumjam, Gestrument > LifeFX > Cubasis

I'll be using AudioShare to port my GB projects as I'm a singer/songwriter and love to season my tracks with cuts, breaks and synths and/or other weird sounds. I do like recording in Cubasis but I've been using GB for two years now and it's all about the comfort zone.

What's your set up for creating?

Comments

• AudioShare and Djay have really added the extra twiXt I needed... I'm hoping to share soon!

• I just had a go at string arranging in Garageband today. Bit of a palaver emailing all the individual tracks to myself so that I could open them in Cubasis, but in the end it was worth the effort so that I could mix them how I wanted. The track isn't finished, it needs vocals, etc., but I don't sing, so we'll have to see if I can persuade someone who can.

• @PaulB That was sooo awesome.

• That is a really nice tune @paulB! Sounds perfect for my voice, do you have lyrics?

• @PaulB Refreshing. I like it. Speaking of strings, I've been trying to think of a way to get samples from one app in particular (The Orchestra). Of course there's no audio copy. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• Is The Orchestra on the BUS? If not, any sign of coming soon?

@PaulB... Nice arrangement of strings. Not sure if you now this but by using one, two or three fingers on a smart instrument's pad, you can change the variance of play.

• @Bootsy No, no lyrics. I can't sing, which means I have trouble coming up with vocal melodies that I like. I only tend to write lyrics once I have a melody, so in this case, I have neither. Lol

@mgmg4871 I was able to record a non Audiobus app playing on my IPad using AudioShare on the same iPad by plugging in my iRig as the input to AudioShare but without anything plugged into the iRig. All I had to do was whack up the iPad volume and I was good to go.

@jackfancy If you mean it varies the ostinato pattern that gets played, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

• @PaulB Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
    @jackfancy I'm not sure if The Orchestra is signed up for AB. I'm not sure if AB would be a fit for The Orchestra. I would just love to have the instrument samples. Awesome app though.

• @PaulB That iRig trick is genius! Way to turn a glitch into advantage. :)

• Best use of an irig ever! Love it.

• I wasn't aware of using 2 or 3 fingers for Smart Strings and couldn't get it to work. As far as I know there are three variations in articulation - tap it for plucked strings (pizzicato), flick it for a single hit (arco) and rub it for a bowed sustained sound, with the faster you move your finger, the louder the sound

• @PhilW jackfancy is referring to the Autoplay feature. It has a dial with 4 settings. When you use this feature, tapping on a Smart String note bar will start Autoplay. Tapping with either 1,2 or 3 fingers will you give you different variations. This works for each of the 4 dial settings.

• Ok, cool!

• edited April 2013

That's only when the autoplay dial is set to off. Set it to 1 to 4 and you get different patterns played to fit (ish) the chords selected. Using 1,2 or 3 fingers to select the chord changes the current pattern slightly. The sets of patterns are also different for the various styles, cinematic, modern, pop and romantic.

Also, with autoplay off, starting touch position on the chord bar changes the chord inversion.

• Lol. Spent too long replying.

• I had been using GB on my iPad2 for almost two years before I knew about that feature.
    Doh! That's how Apple rolls. They seem to like to play hide and seek with their features like it's a treasure hunt.

i-funbox + audioshare = wow for organizing loops.
    Also perfect for getting my GB tracks into the BUS.

• Is that the individual tracks or just the mixdown?

• edited April 2013

I use Beatmaker2 sending MIDI on three different channels to synths like Animoog, NLog, and Magellan. Using internal drums and some effects on the audio inputs, I'm able to get a pretty good idea of how the elements will all fit together before I have to record. It's really amazing. I've tried a lot of different apps, but that's the simplest setup for me to use the bus with a variety of apps to make a song in real-time. I'm looking forward to playing around with more FX and samplers as well.

• I tend to noodle around and noodle some more.....Spend some money on another Audiobus compatible app and noodle some more.....can be shameful at times...

Recently I am using Auria with some filtered loops and djay to sync the tempo of some Accapellas, I tend to flick through until I find a good one that goes with my track or sometimes I will do it vice versa.

I use Animoog for bass along with the FX from Auria such as Fabfilter Pro Q, Volcano and timeless.

Beatmaker 2 provides the midi support and the drums....

Only a few more apps to get on the bus (Alchemy & Sampletank) and I will hopefully stop spending all my cash on apps and get my life back to some degree ;)

Pretty unproductive at the moment truth be told....just having fun...

• @PaulB
    I email the individual tracks and a mixdown and open in AudioShare...

• I build a seemingly endless amount of 12 loop synth-pop Loopy sets with which I do nothing. Actually started building a web based loopy player so that I might at least share the unfinished little bastards.

I'm entirely too lazy to export each loop to the clipboard and do something with them in auria. Occasionally, I 'finish' actual songs on my iPad/phone but only when it's in Nanostudio. :)

• @syrupcore, lol. Not at you, because I do the same exact thing.

Loopy is so fun and easy to build compositions, but never quite finish them. And when the joy of coming up with the sketch is over, why bother figuring out how to polish it off in a proper DAW? That's my excuse.

• edited March 2014

• @syrupcore haha...if I ever make an album..."Unfinished Little Bastards" is what I'll call it. :)

• @SpookyZoo "Unfinished Little Bastards" is a solid title!

• [IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/06/6anu7e5a.jpg[/IMG]
    My recent concoction of BUSsing out my joy!

...test driving the Tapatalk app for the first time!

• The image isn't working for me here in China. I don't know if it's a Great Firewall problem or...?
    Can anyone else see it?

• 404 not found.....nginx......that's all I see ?

• edited April 2013

It's the [/IMG] at the end that's screwing up the URL.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/06/6anu7e5a.jpg

Or you can do this:

Not found

• @PaulB that's a mighty fine setup you got going there !