Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording extra tracks after using Samplr's 6 channels.

edited April 2013 in App Tips and Tricks

Hey, loving Samplr except that I wish I had 2 or more channels to record into for an 8 track or better. Wondering what the best way would be to add say a synth recording to the mix. And how to achieve this in Audiobus? Normally I use Samplr in the Audiobus input slot. Then add a synth into the input slot. Then I can use Auria, Multi DAW, Audioshare or Loopy HD as the output on Audiobus to record with, I am presuming. How to record only the live synth track and not the combined Samplr , synth tracks?
I just got Loopy and can record Samplr tracks into a Loopy slot. Then clear, and re record a synth line into that empty channel. I'd rather leave the Samplr tracks alone and begin adding layers outside of Samplr. Can I choose what app to record from in Auria? So I could start to record the synth as the first channel of my Auria mix, then import the remaining channels from Samplr into the Auria track.
One more query, why does turning down the main volume in Samplr also turn down the volume of what's playing in Loopy?
Many thanks from a baffled chap!

Comments

• That's a lot of questions. Maybe consider separate threads or at least numbering them so people can answer one or two more easily next time.

Yes, you can pick which audiobus inputs to record in Auria. Make sure you have the latest version and search for auria here if you can't suss it out. Indeed, you can record them both simultaneously to two separate tracks.

Don't think there's any connection between samplr's level and loopy's level. Unless you mean after you record from samplr with its level lowered. Then, yeah, the loop you recorded will be quieter.

Loopy doesn't allow you to pick inputs at the moment (the way auria, MTD or cubasis does). It will always capture everything on the bus. Since samplr supports background audio you can remove it from the AB input slot, start playback and play your AB input synth. That way, only the input synth will record into loopy.

• Hey. I see your point. I've just been wondering which direction to take. Auria makes sense. Yet sometimes I need a fast option to record to, so I think of Loopy. ( The main volume control in Samplr seems on my ipad4 to control the volume of Loopy as well, strange. Regardless of whether Loopy is set to Run Audio In Background.)
    I guess I must start learning more about Auria! But, if I can get my timings right, I will run Samplr in the background and record the input synth on AB as you say.
    Thanks for your assistance!

• By the way, I have asked Auria if there's an option to record separate sample channels from Samplr into separate tracks. Loopy lets me choose separate Samplr channels when I use it in AB input next to Samplr ( does not give me this opition when Loopy is in the AB output slot though).
    Ideally I'd like the option to record all six channels from Samplr into separate tracks in Auria at the same time. A great way for me to transfer the joy of a live Samplr mix into Auria! With all mastering options still open. Or am I asking for my cake and eating it!

• edited April 2013

Nah, it's a reasonable request. Just not possible yet. I'm not even sure that's possible on audiobus were samplr to be updated to support 6 discreet outputs. Then again, maybe it already does. I'm just typing on my phone. :)

You can do it the laborious way: mute all but one, record it to auria or loopy or whatever. Move to the next, record it...

I'm not sure but the volume thing may have to do with how samplr implements its volume control. Some apps have a software button that just controls the device's actual volume. Not near my iPad at the moment so I can't verify. If so, just use the volume slider on each sampler track.

• As you describe. That is how I will proceed till the technology catches up with my live Samplr spirit! Which possibly reminds me of my early, exciting encounters with music technology : Roland System 100, Teac 4 Track etc. Dynamic and hands on!

• @sELF said:

Ideally I'd like the option to record all six channels from Samplr into separate tracks in Auria at the same time.

Are we there yet? Any solutions anyone? :)

• Nope. As Syrupcore said earlier, it isn't possible yet. Samplr isn't set up that way, for starters, and it would have to be implemented there for it to work. I think the technology is coming but it's the equivalent of having a PC set up with six line-ins going to a mixing desk and then into a DAW. That can even be a tall order for some computer studios so on iPad I can't see it happening anytime soon.

My suggestion is to record each track in separately and then you can line up the wavs anyway in your sequencer of choice, so the result shouldn't be any different than the one you had as a happy accident perhaps in Samplr.

Yes, the volume is connected to the main iPad volume - same as in many other apps, including Alchemy. But as you can define the volume of everything in Samplr anyway, you needn't rely on the overall volume - and in any case you can just change the channel output volume in your sequencer.

Not sure I understand your question about recording a synth in. Just select the synth as an input, disable the tracks in Samplr or just don't select it in AB at all, and record in to your sequencer. If you're trying to record Samplr and the synth at the same time, however, you're already doing it the right way. Personally I do everything separately - too much at once will scratch at my OCD!

• The next AB update will definitely support 6 outs from an app to 6 ins on another app. It'll be up to the individual apps to expose all of those ports though. Pretty sure we'll get Loopy->Auria out of the gate. Samplr may take a bit, I dunno.

• Ah, that's good to know - but will that work on older iPads? I think it would mean quite a lot of work for devs to update their apps though. Definitely something I'd pay a little extra for - remove the ballache!