Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Interview with Photophore Synth developer Nick Dika

It is Monday and time for a new haQ piQ interview article.
This time I've interviewed Nick Dika aka "Taika Systems",
developer of Photophore Synth!

Interview with iOS developer Nick Dika aka "Taika Systems"
http://www.ptc-crew.com/jakobhaq/interview-taika-systems/

‪#‎haqpiq‬ ‪#‎photophoresynth‬

Comments

• I love reading these! Thank you @jaKoB_haQ for writing, and to the developers for participating!

• Thank you @papertiger, I'm glad you like the articles!

Btw, have you tried out Photophore?

• edited December 2014

^ I have it but sadly I have not been able to really try it out. I just got married and I've been tied up with all kinds of nonsense. :)

I was curious to read about Nick's take regarding the UI for Photophore since some forum members have wondered why so much space is devoted to the flock interface element even though it doesn't seem to have a large impact on the sound. I've been wanting to investigate/judge for myself. . .

• Yes. Loving the interviews and the videos.
    Good one. I might get it. I still have lots to do, play and figure out with all my new synth acquisitions.

By the way, @jakob_haq. In the interview. Last paragraph ("Thank you Nick for...") the color of the text is greyed out as if said by him. Not that it bothers me. Just in case you want to know.

• edited December 2014

@papertiger ^ I have it but sadly I have not been able to really try it out. I just got married and I've been tied up with all kinds of nonsense. :)

Ah, romance, alive and well....

• "And wuv, twoo wuv ..."

• ^ we used a (chicken) wing instead of a ring. :D

• You are absolutely right Nick, My Finnish neighbors provide me with all the salmiakki I need, and I do need it a LOT!

I don't know why, but after finishing reading this sentence......I heard a downpitched echo in my head.......a lot a lot a lot! :D

Great interview, I just hope MIDI mapping is coming soon!

• Just wanted to say that I had no expectations for Photophore (did anyone even know it was coming?) and I really, really like it. Very warm and rich sounding synth.

• @Greg said:

You are absolutely right Nick, My Finnish neighbors provide me with all the salmiakki I need, and I do need it a LOT!

I don't know why, but after finishing reading this sentence......I heard a downpitched echo in my head.......a lot a lot a lot! :D

Great interview, I just hope MIDI mapping is coming soon!

Same here! I totally laughed out loud. Great work Jakob! I love knowing this guy is close with Psicada, as that affiliation alone is enough to compel me to get Photophore. Earhoof is a fucking monster!

• @papertiger said:

^ I have it but sadly I have not been able to really try it out. I just got married and I've been tied up with all kinds of nonsense. :)

I was curious to read about Nick's take regarding the UI for Photophore since some forum members have wondered why so much space is devoted to the flock interface element even though it doesn't seem to have a large impact on the sound. I've been wanting to investigate/judge for myself. . .

Congrats on getting married!

I think the reason the flock UI is so big is that it was originally the only UI :). So as Photophore developed, I started adding these overlay controls that appeared from the 4 edges. I liked that that gave 4 clear zones for controls to live in. And I don't know, I just liked the way it looked, and it felt uncluttered to me. I wish I could give you some user experience textbook answer for this, but I don't have one :). It just happened after a lot of iteration on the design.

So far the control setup is simple enough that I don't really have to use much of the "flock" space. However in the future I'm going to have to encroach on that space a bit more based on plans I have for adding more control over the oscillators/voices. So stay tuned :)

• @Taika_Systems
    Photophore is awesome, I really love to automate some of the parameters in Cubasis.

Is IAA MIDI in the pipeline?

• @Macao95 Thanks for pointing out the greed out text. I have now rectified my mistake! :)

• Thanks to everyone for your comments and I'm glad you liked the interview. I really do enjoy getting inside the head of the developers like this. :)

Photophore truly is amazing and I can promise that it will be featured a LOT in upcoming HaQ attaQ episodes! ;)

• @Taika_Systems-any chance you will be adding individual midi channels and/or CCs in the future? The channel thing is a big one for me, as it means I essentially have to use Photophore in isolation.

• @Accent said:

@Taika_Systems-any chance you will be adding individual midi channels and/or CCs in the future? The channel thing is a big one for me, as it means I essentially have to use Photophore in isolation.

Yes that's what I meant with IAA MIDI!

• Hi Accent & Greg --

yes, I would like to add these features. I think the first update (hopefully early/mid January) will let you choose a MIDI channel and add basic IAA MIDI support. MIDI cc assignment might be a bit further down the road as that will get a bit more complex. But i've had enough requests to think it's worthwhile to add.

n