Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Installed Audiobus apps

Ok, say I spend the day down the beach, or out in the countryside, or anywhere My iPad doesn't have an internet connection, and suddenly the creative urge grabs me and I want to get into some Audiobus enabled composing and recording. I try firing up Audiobus and it tells me it can't find any apps and that I need to connect to the internet at least once. Arrrggghhh!

Pretty please, if no internet connection is present, can Audiobus just remember the list of apps I had last time I used it when there WAS an internet connection present? It makes a bit of a mockery of the whole mobile music making thing if I can't even start without being online.

Cheers,
Paul.

Comments

• I don't have this problem. I use it without an iternet connection all the time. Are you shutting off your iPad? Then turning it on when you are there?

• edited March 2013

Lol. And now it's doing exactly what I just asked for...

Under what circumstances does Audiobus clear the list of apps? I have seen it happen today and I'd really like to avoid getting somewhere and suddenly getting that message and an empty app list.

• @Ryan On the contrary, I've been on and off the internet today and the iPad has been on all the time. I haven't shut it down at all.

• Wow, I have no idea then.. That is depressing that it jam blocked you like that. I'd like to know too to avoid it ever happening to me.. lol imagine you were at a gig at the time! yikes! embarrassing.

• Turning off the iPad has no effect. The lists remain.

• Perhaps it was the apps list change with the addition of FL Studio, but if I wasn't online, how would the program know to update the list?

• Unless something has changed from before, Audiobus should be able to find the apps after they have been opened. If the list doesn't appear just open the apps you want to use and they should show up. You could still make music.

• Ok, I'll do that if it happens again, but that doesn't give Audiobus control of buffer size.

• I'm not sure about now, since the buffer setting was made on the Audiobus screen, but it used to be that the first app opened set the buffer size.

• edited March 2013

You use an out of date version of iOS too right (5.x.x?)? That might be key to figuring this out.. just a hunch and worth mentioning to anyone trying to help troubleshoot this.

Also, out of curiosity.. You don't maybe have an app that cleans other apps cache? (not sure if such a thing exists) If your cache was getting cleaned it might explain it.

• I'm not aware of such an app. I don't think this is a bug or an iOS issue. I'm sure that there's a set of conditions under which Audiobus needs to clear the apps list and get an updated version when next it can. For instance, if the master database gets updated while I'm online and already using Audiobus, then it's possible Audiobus sets a flag that this has happened. It won't clear down the local list while in use, that would be bad, so it waits until it's terminated and does it then. Next time Audiobus is started, it needs to refresh the list, as I may have downloaded the new app in the meantime.
    That's just one possible legitimate scenario that would fit what happened today. Perhaps Sebastian can give further insight when he's next online.

• oh. Alright then. Well if it's not a bug and not an iOS issue and you are sure you know what's doing it then I'll stop trying to help you. I did notice you appeared to be asking Sebastian all along, my appologies for jumping in. You can message him directly on here too if he's the only one you need to hear from. I hope you figure it out :-)

• When you are connected to the Internet open audiobus and click on the app button an it will register all of your apps. You only have to do it once, why I am not sure!

• @Ryan I wasn't telling you to butt out, sorry if it sounded like I was. I thought we were exchanging theories. I merely thought Sebastian would be able to give an indication of which of us was closer to the truth.

• @PaulB oh, yeah it's all good sir. My bad, Sorry. :-) Also, thought about it and posting here is a good idea even if someone did just want sebastians answer, at least then other people could read the answer too.

• @PaulB:
    Just so I understand what's happening: were you didn't install Audibus anew, but just took it to somewhere without an internet connection and suddenly the lists were empty?

And then you opened it up again and they were there again?

• edited March 2013

Actually, not quite. :)
    I had been online earlier in the day, then activated airplane mode. My iPad remained on or in standby for most of the day, in fact I haven't powered down since my previous Audiobus session.. Later, when I went to use Audiobus, it was unable to find any apps until I deactivated airplane mode and was again connected by wi-fi. That made me think I would have the same problem if I was out and about. The only Audiobus related change that has occurred between my Audiobus sessions is the addition of FL Studio to your database of apps.

I wouldn't spend too much time on this, it doesn't seem to be a recurrent problem. I certainly haven't been able to recreate it, although I am curious as to when and under what conditions Audiobus clears and refreshes the local apps list.

I've moved this thread to Support and Feedback, since Audiobus already does what I asked for 99% of the time. :)

• edited March 2013

Just had a thought...
    If I update an Audiobus compatible app which is already in my apps list, will that trigger a list refresh next time I start Audiobus? Because I did update a couple before the session in question.

Edit...

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. An updated app could have changed the slots it supports, so Audiobus would have to refresh the lists to allow for that possibility.

Ok, note to self, always run Audiobus after updating compatible apps.

Thanks for everyone's time and input.

• i am facing same problem .. already i installed 3 different version in tow different devices ... ( iPhone 4 and iPad 1 ) But the result was always same .... no Audiobus apps found.... what should i do now... My iPhone ios version is 6.0.1 and and My iPad ios version is 5.1.1 and both of these are jail broken... please help :(

• Turn off your internet and try again.