Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Regaining confidence in Cubasis

edited March 2013 in Creations

After the disappointment of losing many hours of work with the first, highly unstable versions of Cubasis it took me a while to give it another chance after the last update. I have been working non-stop with it for hours this afternoon without problems. I must say that I was quite anxious the whole session, but I'm glad to conclude the last update was a huge improvement.

Mainly Sunrizer, DM1, Loopy and Cubasis. Here's the result:

Comments

• @Marinus I agree. I think we will be even more pleased after this coming update scheduled mid April.

• Please don't be mad but I can't help but think of the Sim City soundtrack when listening to this. :D

• Duh. It took me a few minutes to get what Sebastian was talking about because I totally missed the soundcloud link. I like it. The title fits. Sweet.

• edited March 2013

Very jazzy - the vibes sound made me think of listening to some Lionel Hampden many years ago.

• Smooth jazz.Lovely

• @Sebastian I take it as a compliment :-)

@All Thanks for your positive words!

• edited March 2013

Great track! :)

I'm buying Cubasis this week.
    I was using Beatmaker as a sequencer up till now and love the app, but I have some work to be finished asap and the clicks and crackles problem is taking a while to be solved.
    I'm a Sonar user and also used Nuendo for a long time, so probably I'll feel at home with it. It seems the next update will be very good as well. :)

• Glad you're happy with the development of Cubasis. I believe the current version is the most stable thus far. The app has received a lot of criticism since its release, some warranted, some not. All I know is I love it. t's like GarageBand on steroids and just as simple to use.

Btw, nice tune.

• edited March 2013

Also I would like to say that Cubasis has one of the best AudioBus implementations I've seen so far.

• @AkaMarko: I agree. Cubasis and AB really complement each other. Awesome work flow. Cubasis appears to be more stable with other apps also.

• Great track by the way...and yeah I too think Cubasis is very good with Audiobus..Iv'e had some complex stuff going on..ACP, Audio, Midi..with effects and all has been very stable..This has bacome my DAW of choice now..which makes life easier with one less decision to make..

• Okay, so I took the plunge and got Cubasis. Impressive! Excellent UI. All my synths play smooth with no distortion or crackling. It even plays nice with Sampletank if it's selected on dock B. I can assign my own samples to the keys and pads too by virtual midi connection with Beatmaker2. Fifty bucks well spent and it sounds likes it's only going to get better.

FRibeiro, we've had the same problems with BM2 and Cubasis is our answer. You won't regret this purchase.

• @Context Now that you mention Sampletank: I also noticed that playing Sampletank instruments via midi out apparently means midi-routing ch1 to dock B. @All Does anyone know if Sampletank is supposed to work that way by design?

• Totally sounds like Gran Turismo music. Nice.

• A question about the virtual instruments in Cubasis:are they good?how do they compare lets say to Garaband instruments, or Sampletank or Thumbjam

• I'd say that on their own, they are OK but don't sound anything special, and probably not as good sounding as those in the apps you mentioned. Part of this is that they are "dry" with no reverb or effects, so that you can add your own in the mix. Once you add these, they are very usable, a good solid set of sounds, if just lacking in the "Wow" factor.

• edited May 2013

Recorded in Cubasis. Ultimately involving 10 apps. Started with morning pad using the chord buttons to create the inversions I play on guitar. Then doubled that with dream pad from Music Studio via Audiobus. Guitar recorded thru JamUp Pro with Apogee Jam. Vocal recorded with Apogee Mic. Harmonies created thru Amplitube Choir. The kick and cymbals were done first in Cubasis but sent via virtual midi to SampleTank. The bass is iFretless. The electric piano is Sampletank controlled by Polychord. The mix was mastered in AudioMaster, then pasted into AudioShare and finally uploaded to Soundcloud. The trickiest thing is getting all the audio tracks to feel tight; things seem to float around with virtual midi, I'm hoping midi clock will solve this. All in all a good experiment and I learned a lot.

• edited May 2013

I don't think all the parts being tight would be an improvement. At the moment, the slightly loose timings help to give the track a floating feeling, which I really love. Too much stuff nowadays is quantised to hell, without any ebb and flow to the tempo. Also, I like the understated and tasteful instrumental parts, less is more here. Well done.

• Quite the production @Mythmongrel. Agreed with @Paul that the looseness isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I like the way it works in your song. Nice sound.

• Really good production and feel.
    Great vocal and a lovely track.

One of the few tracks on here that I'd listen to again.

• Lovely track, thanks for the production details too!

• Nice sounds and production - I enjoyed it! I'm glad its not just me that finds that my audio tracks seem to 'float around' a little when you mix them with midi tracks!

• Very nice song

• @PaulB:i'm more into electronic dance music and while i like to let it float a little,there are some elements that should stay in timing like a rock.Bassdrum for example.

• edited May 2013

Thanks to all for the kind words. And I totally agree with @Crabman re the kik drum. I'll definitely try to redo it after the next Cubasis update. Can't wait.

• @Crabman I would agree with you in regard to electronic dance music and bass drums. However, I wasn't commenting about a piece of electronic dance music in this instance.

• I want to thank @PaulB for the encouragement. I really hesitated to post this track here. In fact it is posted privately on Soundcloud, so audiobusers are the only ones to hear it. I thought it provided a good example of where Cubasis is currently, and thus fit this thread. And of course its a creation that would not be possible without the blessing of Audiobus.