Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anybody using Korg Taktile with Gadget?

So I purchased a Korg Taktile 49 to use with Gadget and the new Module App.

I did this after reading the description on Korgs page for version 1.02 of Gadgetm which says:

"All gadget parameters can now be freely controlled via MIDI. Also supported is MIDI sync, allowing synchronized performance with your DAW or other MIDI devices. Gadget can be freely controlled from any MIDI controller that can be connected to the iPad, such as Korg’s taktile or the nano series."

Well, it turns out I can only control the parameters, but not much else, so feeling rather cheated by Korg at the moment :-(

The transport (DAW) controls on Taktile does not work with Gadget :-(

Or, at least I can't get them to work. Also I can't get Gadget to sync to Taktile's MIDI Clock (to sync up with it's arpeggiator) or, to be precise, I can set Gadget to external sync, but not sure if it's receiving it, and since Taktile's transport buttons don't work, I can't start recording (since Gadget hides the play/stop buttons in ext. sync mode).

Have anybody found a solution?

Comments

• Did you try the gadget template on the korg site?

• Yep, that caused problems to, because it's for the TRITON Taktile so I couldn't load it at first. (I also find it odd that they make them for the version with built in sounds, I would assume if your are using Gadget you get the Taktile without the sound module??).

Anyway I figured out you can rename the files and I got it working.

It's nothing more than mapping of the faders for the different gadgets.

I actually prefer to just make one setup, and the map the faders ad hoc, using Gadgets learn function, instead of remembering every single faders setup for the different synths ;-)

So I think the templates are pretty useless if you ask me, since they require you to switch preset every time you switch gadgets (i.e. one preset for London, another for Miami etc).

I'm really disappointed with Korg on this one. Because they advertise it as Taktile and Gadget would work well together, but I can't do more than with any other controller.

• You said you can control the parameters and not much else, but I'm guessing you can send note input as well.

I know everyone wants to heap praise on Korg the last few years (and to their credit, they are one of the only companies putting out interesting products at an affordable pricepoint), but their approach to midi is really awful, and has been for at least 20 years. Gadget would be far more useful IMHO if each Gadget got its own midi channel-of course, you would hit some limitations using more than 16 instruments, but I could deal with that. I'd much prefer an autochannel option with Gadget so I could just select a Gadget and tweak it.

Not having transport work is really poor tho. I don't have the Tactile, but I'll play around tomorrow with sending transport from my Octatrack and report back.

"Korg-We Have A Midi".

• edited November 2014

@Peter321 said:

Or, at least I can't get them to work. Also I can't get Gadget to sync to Taktile's MIDI Clock (to sync up with it's arpeggiator) or, to be precise, I can set Gadget to external sync, but not sure if it's receiving it, and since Taktile's transport buttons don't work, I can't start recording (since Gadget hides the play/stop buttons in ext. sync mode).

I would check the sync as follows: Set Gadget to external sync, insert the Chicago gadget, turn on the arp in Chicago, hold some Taktile keys to hear the pattern. Now change the tempo on Taktile. If sync is working, the arp of Chicago should follow.

• @klangsulfat said:

I would check the sync as follows: Set Gadget to external sync, insert the Chicago gadget, turn on the arp in Chicago, hold some Taktile keys to hear the pattern. Now change the tempo on Taktile. If sync is working, the arp of Chicago should follow.

Good idea, but still, if it works there is no way to start Gadget, since transport controls from Taktile doesn't work and Gadget hides the screen controls in ext. sync mode :-(

• edited December 2014

I know. Not only transport buttons, you also can't switch between the scenes manually while in external sync mode. This story reminds me of iPolysix and Korg Microkey. You can't use the Microkey to play the second synth in iPolysix (because of the fixed MIDI channel settings in iPolysix). It seems to became a tradition that Korg's hardware controllers doesn't work well with Korg's software. I simply do not understand these half-baked "solutions".