Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can Anybody Suggest Me Which Guitar I Should Select?

My teenage cousin is planning to learn guitar, and I am still thinking to buy her a Fretlight guitar (http://tinyurl.com/o5lfhcs) but I've heard that Rocksmith method (http://tinyurl.com/ntbln4b) is better than the former. Has anybody some experiences with any of them?

Comments

• Not really sure that this relates to AudioBus or iOS music in any particular way, but I have heard of people using both and having positive responses about both.

However, as a (very) amateur guitar player in my early 30's, I can tell you that having learned piano and violin first and then guitar as a 16-year-old, the guitar is a relatively easy instrument to pick up and become competent with fairly quickly. Therefore, while the Fretlight and really any training device where you are using the guitar as interface w/ a computer, etc. are cool, I'm kind of old-fashioned in the sense that I don't know how necessary they are.

Learning basic chords for novice players is really about muscle memory more than anything else. Once you teach your fretboard hand how to make an "E" or "C" shape, and especially barre chords later one, you will learn to move that around the fretboards and make other chords. Similarly, playing scales isn't so much about the fact that a light tells you that fret #12 is an "E" note, it's about learning the shape of that scale and transposing it up and down for different keys. And there are plenty of free or cheap charts and (now) iOS app resources to help you do that.

But, whatever works for your cousin is fine - if one of these two systems encourages her to pick up guitar where it otherwise seemed overwhelming intimidating, then I say "great!"

• I recommend a real guitar teacher at first. A real person can teach her proper hand positioning, posture, and technique; flashing lights can't. If she gets these things right from the beginning then she won't have to relearn them later. That is if she hasn't given up due to hand cramps and general uncomfortableness. A good teacher will also offer human encouragement. Get a cheap guitar with a good set-up.

• Makes a lot of sense....

• edited November 2014

Nothing worse than a badly setup guitar to put you off - get the best you can afford.

Like most instruments, familiarity is key to mastering them. Pick up the guitar and noodle with it at every opportunity (Hendrix wore his around his neck when he was cooking breakfast) and it'll become an extension of your own body. That'll make learning easier - and practice those scales until your ears bleed.

• I'm with MrNezumi.

• Another option if one cannot afford a personal teacher might be guitar instruction sites like JamPlay or Guitartricks (paid but offering trial lessons) or have a look at the free and excellent JustinGuitar:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

These all offer beginner's courses as well as more in-depth genre or artist related lessons.

• edited November 2014

Get a cheap strat copy on CL and a teacher. Nothing, nothing beats live interpersonal feedback when learning an instrument.

• +1 for lessons with a teacher. Really valuable for getting off on the right foot, and you'd be supporting the local music scene at the same time.

Similarly, if you're going to get a guitar, I'd recommend checking out the nearby mom-and-pop music stores. The prices will be comparable to what you might find on-line, you'll be able to play the instrument and make sure it feels right, and you'll be supporting a local business.

• The best prices for very good value guitars that I've bought are here...

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

Still, the mom and pop shops give the advantage of local support and getting to know more local musicians.

I have both the Fretlight and Rocksmith, and they're both pretty good for what they do, but I'd agree with the other posters. Still, if it comes down to one of the two, id go with the Rocksmith solely because the cable interface will work with a CCK for your iOS device.