Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Me too...this app is soooo in depth and flexible the possibilities are endless!

• This looks completely insane. Anyone else have this and can give me their impressions of it? Is it for advanced synth noodlers only?

• I like the presets and haven't gotten very far in creating my own yet, so I don't feel it would appeal only to the advanced crowd. Still, it's a bit pricey, so I'd recommend checking out some of the sounds you can get on YouTube before taking the plunge.

• Expensive but stellar! It has probably the most advanced and wide range of features in any music app, the best playing surface available and takes up entire screen. It also has a good sequencer. It has a physical aspect to it because of how things react when you touch. Multiple oscillator s including FM, Filter/Amp, Effects, AHDSR's, LFO's.

You can set almost anything as a control for playing. Of course it has your normal X & Y, but it also has tilt X & Y, then you get crazy with things like distance from first touch, time since first touch, angle since first touch, also from previous touch, from center. Really too much to list.

It is in amazing app but a beginner could easily get frustrated. I'm a beginner but find it helps me learn how different settings react to things. Its awesome!

• Yes! :) I've been waiting for this one!
    This is a video I've made when I was trying its sounds.
    Indeed TC-11 is a very powerful, flexible, and deep synthesizer, one of the best in iOS in my opinion, and one of the very few that explores the touchscreen as it should be.
    I wish there were more apps like this.
    Now I'll go for that song I was writting on the video and finally get it done with all my other AB compatible apps... Yeah!

• Great job on the video @FRibeiro. Do you recall which patch you used?

• Thanks! :)
    I've tweaked it a bit, sequencer notes (scale on the screen), EGs, filters and FX, but not too much. I'ts called Stomp Box.

• I need to try tweaking a few, just to understand it better. Like someone mentioned on your YT video, that was the most melodic use of TC-11 that I've heard so far!

• Impressive!

• Oh God! My wallet is crying.

• Thats a great video..and a great track...I want that synth too now...will this ever end ha..

• edited March 2014

• I doubt you'll regret it, though sometimes it can be overwhelming the amount of options, with an imagination it can be awesome. One feature I just found, I'm not sure if its new or I never saw it before, was when editing the parameters and controls I saw a drag bar on the side so I pulled it out and it was a mini version of the playable screen that I could play and test on while adjust parameters so I don't have to jump back and forth in different screens.....brilliant!

• @FRibeiro just wow. Between this and the official videos I want this app (and the ability to have my hands perform separately) but can't quite stomach the €27 (even though it is a more than reasonable price!)

• At least there aren't any IAP's

• Neat video called Touch Points

Touch Points with TC-11

• I'm so close to buying this, indredible synth..it's strange that in the past I paid very little attention to it..devs should take note that getting on the bus really does bring your app back into the arena.

• edited March 2014

• Definitely. Every dev should make an introductory video of their app, and tutorials. I've bought many based on the strength of those. Buying "blind" is such a lottery. The other ways I pick are by reviews on the web and people's impressions of apps on here.

There isn't exactly a thriving iOS music apps forum community, unlike for - say - videogames, so it's more difficult to get a consensus. But that's why this place is fast becoming so great. A good few of us are now congregating here as a kinda hub of discussion, and I hope that this becomes the de facto destination for people interested in making music on iOS platforms. Feels like we're at the beginning of something here.

• We're thinking about adding a button to every app in the Audiobus app listing so developers can supply a link to a youtube video that demonstrates how the app in question works.

• @FRibeiro's video finally pushed me over the edge yesterday. [ This forum is becoming worse for my wallet than Palmsounds :-) ]

The learning curve is quite steep so, given the price, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't into getting their hands dirty as my suspicion is that its at its best when you are using your own patches. At least then you have a fighting chance of remembering the idea behind the control scheme you used!

Even quite simple ideas can become expresive instruments given the control options. I managed to build my first patch yesterday and highly recommend the second tutorial video on using the sequencer. This is a big help in creating melodic patches and isn't just about sequencing in the normal sense of the word.

Very cool App!

• edited March 2013

Yes I base all my decisions to buy an app based on the videos on youtube or the debs site.

If I can't see it in action I am reluctant to bother.

@Sebastian this would be a really smart move I think and improve the user experience.

• @Sebastian your reply reminded me of this bug:

On the Apps page in AB, when I click on any "APP STORE" button and get redirected to the App Store, the "Read More" hotlink in app's description doesn't show-up. It just cuts off with a "..."

This forces me to then close the pop-up window and search for the same app again directly in the app store and then I'm able to see and click the "More " link.

Not sure if other people have this problem or if there's a way for you to fix it.

Thanks.

• edited March 2013

I think this is an app store bug when using any 3rd party link...not just AB. If you click on reviews tab and then back to details, the 'More' option should return. I have a feeling this was fixed in latest ios update. At least it looks that way on my iPhone. My ipad is still on 6.0 and has the above bug.

• @sebastian Great idea. Just adding a youtube icon with http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=[[app.name]] would be a boon for most apps.

• edited March 2013

Thanks everyone for your comments on the video! :)

I'm recording this song in Auria now that TC-11 supports Audiobus.
    And I was making some takes yesterday. Most of the time, this is not an easy-to-play synth, multiple takes were necessary to get it right. So I would like to mention something that was suggested in a few other places around the forum, also about a button, but in the AB control tab itself :)
    For Recording Apps such as Auria, Cubasis, Beatmaker, etc. etc., there should be an "Undo (last) Recording" button right on the AB tab, so we don't need to go back and forth between apps to undo and re-record a wrong take.

Also another wish, and now for Bit Shape - I would love to see multiple control sources for some parameters. For example, in that song I'm using the Sequencer to define the notes on the screen grid, so SEQ is taking the slot for Oscillator Frequncy Control. If I could use a Touch Control as well, like Distance From The First Touch or whatever, I could also apply pitch bends, vibrato, and other types of frequency control, and add much more expression to "melodic" patches like this one.

• This really is amazing. Feels like it was beamed in from the future.

• Stop it @Michael_R_Grant I can't afford it !!

Now I am having guilty thoughts about getting it and making my son walk to school due to him having no bus fare....shame on you !

• @SpookyZoo I have the latest os and it's still a problem, but at least your tip works. Thanks!