Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I need advice.. Auria or Cubasis?

edited November 2014 in General App Discussion

Ok guys and gals I need some advice. I've decided to take the plunge to more complete and full production on iPad now I have an air.
I usually use Propellehead Reason and record my snippets from various apps into that but I'm going to be doing a bit of lite travelling and have decided to not even take my laptop :O only my iPad.
Soo now I'm thinking I'm going to be needing a way to recreate my current workflow but all in the ipad..

I needs:

To be able to record audio into the DAW
To edit the recorded audio and move it around so it's in time with everything else
Edit the audio by chopping it up, reversing, etc...

I also need the program to be stable and reliable and hopefully have good export options for when I do have access to a computer.

With all this in mind, cubasis or auria?
Auria is 50% off at the moment but I have to take into account IAP as I'm guessing I will need those
Also automation is pretty important and I don't think cubasis has that but I can live without it if audio editing is better in cubasis.

What do you think I should go for? Is there another daw at the same level as these two?

Thanks!

Auria or Cubasis
  1. Which one?27 votes
    1. Cubasis
      29.63%
    2. Auria
      66.67%
    3. That other awesome daw Buska doesn't know about
        3.70%

Comments

• I can't really say (don't have cubasis) but i can tell you that you do not need to buy any of the Auria IAP to get work done. The included plugins (eq, compressor, limiter, delay, algorithmic reverb, convolution reverb) are more than capable.

You might want to look into adding http://www.multitrackstudio.com/ to your iDAW shortlist.

Note that while Auria has great included plugins and really great automation/editing it does not currently have MIDI out.

• Auria. It will have MIDI editing some day. Until then you can use any Genome or BM2. Cubasis is good but Auria is better. Especially at 50% off.

• Auria for audio and Multitrackstudio for midi — it's better than Cubasis because it allows you to do tempo changes and time signature changes within a track. Both can be has now for about the same price as Cubasis. If you only need audio then get Auria.

• I'm not an expert but coming from the world of Reason I find Cubasis easy to operate. It also has MIDI which I like to control external synth apps. It also has a nice collection of samples and drum kits that come with the package.

• edited November 2014

@Buska as you might guess, you will get keen supporters of the suggested possibilities :)

Quite right too. If folks have made stuff that 'works' having put the time and effort into an app they have every right to vote for their favorite.

I voted for Auria. I have both your main options, in fact getting Cubasis first, but have ended up not opening it much this past year and bring anything I don't record directly in Auris into it thereafter from elsewhere. To me, it's a comfortable AND cool recording desk, old school almost.

Mister Syrup mentions that Auria has great plugins included and it does, but it also has world class plugins that you may choose to buy. Relatively expensive, but -to my mind and ears- far and away the best on the iOS market. No contest, hands down, country mile etc etc.

If however you read other folks explaining the potency of Cubasis for them and what they do or make sounds familiar to you then you need to consider that seriously.

One other point, and trying to be even-handed, is do think about MultiTrack Studio. And also Nano Studio. Again, it depends what your ambitions and hopes are. People are making great stuff on the move with all of these, but none of them are magic, you have to bring that :)

• edited November 2014

@everyone who posted

Thanks a heap, looks like Auria is the go. I won't be using midi out so that's not an issue for me. Audio handling/editing and good mixing is my priority, I will check out all the other suggestions before laying down cash but Auria is sounding like the one.

Extra thanks to syrupcore and johnnygoodyear for the detailed breakdowns

• If you have no real dependency on midi, I'd say you're definitely making the right choice in Auria in my opinion. Beware, though... There are FabFilter plugins. They are awesome. They are not free...

• Yeah I know how good fabfilter stuff is, it will be hard to resist them

• Auria requires a lot of resources too so if you have an older iPad, that could be an issue.

• @Paulinko said:

Auria requires a lot of resources too so if you have an older iPad, that could be an issue.

iPad Air 1?

• edited November 2014

@Buska iPad Air 1 will be fine. For 50% off, it's hard to go wrong with Auria. If you find you're wanting midi, you can get Cubasis later when it's on sale.

• @Paulinko said:

@Buska iPad Air 1 will be fine. For 50% off, it's hard to go wrong with Auria. If you find you're wanting midi, you can get Cubasis later when it's on sale.

...or wait until Auria gets Midi.The waiting kills me (fortunately i own both apps) but i'm sure it will be not less then awesome implemented in Auria :)

• I prefer cubasis because I do a lot of midi, but I think you should get auria

• Or Auria and wait until Tony Saunders gets iMidi out to sync with it. My bet is Tony will beat Auria to market for MIDI song level recording.

• edited November 2014

I voted Auria as well. Tell us how it worked out for you if you do end up buying it.

• Auria, especially since you said you don't need midi. The plugins are great indeed. I wasn't sure about the Volcano because I already had Wow and they're both filter plugins. Luckily there's trial vst versions for most of the plugins so I can check them out on my laptop. Of course I needed Volcano.

• I use Reason / Cubase on Laptop, so i naturally went for Cubasis.. I don't have Auria, although i like the look and the fab filter stuff you can get for it, but (correct me if i'm wrong guys) Auria just does audio. Whereas Cubasis does Midi and audio.

• razraz
    edited November 2014

Used to be a Cubasis fan, especially since I use MIDI, but the situation on iOS is so bad when it comes to setting up multiple apps to work with each other that for me the only reasonable choice is to have as much as possible in a single app.

Hence Gadget and Auria. When Auria MIDI comes, I hope that fabfilter will publish their Twin 2 as an IAP (well they said so on the forum) and then everything will be in one place.

The dream of the DAW that controls other apps through MIDI + IAA is dead until further notice. Might come back as a zombie some day :-)

• I record everything in Cubasis then copy it all to Auria for mixing and mastering. Auria IAP purchases can get expensive but they are fantastic. Once Auria has midi Cubasis will be deleted from my iPad. That said, I recorded lots on Cubasis with good results until I took the plunge with Auria. Now there's no looking back. Plus, the developers are so helpful and always available to chat to on Auria forum if you have any questions or suggestions for future updates. They actually listen. MIDI is on the way!

• Just grabbed auria tonight. Been using cubasis for a while and decided to give auria a look. What's up with the non-retina graphics? I know it's not really important, but I was kind of turned off immidetly when opening it. Other than that I'm enjoying it. I like the Dropbox and audio copy/paste options.

• That's great that Auria is moving to vector graphics. I wish all apps would do the same.

Retina aside, I think Auria, mighty as it is, is pretty unsightly. Fonts and spacings are weird everywhere. Random use of lines, Windows 3.1 settings screen... When you compare it to Cubasis it's pretty obvious who had a (better?) graphic designer on the job—Cubasis looks like modern butter. Hoping Rim got some help with it for the upcoming vector version.

• I agree. Auria is pretty good doing the things it does but it's not so easy to reach things, menu-wise, without any thinking. It's getting almost automatic for be but before I could get the logic of it...

• Ah, nice to know vector graphics are going to happen. Also totally understandable why they didn't do retina due to the ram consumption of bitmaps. Visual aesthetics are somewhat important to me in an app. It just felt strange dropping $25 and then opening up an app that was all pixely. Looking forward to the update.

• Great info here thanks.

@Buska Did you go with Auria after all? What are your post purchase thoughts?

• @syrupcore said:

That's great that Auria is moving to vector graphics. I wish all apps would do the same.

Retina aside, I think Auria, mighty as it is, is pretty unsightly. Fonts and spacings are weird everywhere. Random use of lines, Windows 3.1 settings screen... When you compare it to Cubasis it's pretty obvious who had a (better?) graphic designer on the job—Cubasis looks like modern butter. Hoping Rim got some help with it for the upcoming vector version.

i'm on the fence,while i don't need skeuormophism in the mixer or edit screen (also no Retina for that matter) i love the look on the PSP plugs and the Channelstrip :)

Cubasis design is really great but i don't like the look of the FX.Also very unprecise to use.And lacking a lot of features (c'mon,at least SAVING presets...) but that's another story...

I love the Interface of Fabfilter.i wouldn't mind having a whole DAW in this look ;-)

• @Crabman largely agree with you. Am presuming that the redesign of Auria won't have any effect on the filters....would like them BIGGER however :)

• edited November 2014

I purchased Auria yesterday, and I registered with my email address as requested. I was expecting an automated email reply but I have not yet received any confirmation. Is this normal? How do I check if my purchase is actually registered? What benefits can I expect as a new customer? Of course I skipped through the pop up spiel/pitch as I was very anxious to open my shiny new App. Do any of you guys remember how the registration process unfolded for you. I would hate to think I am missing out on some free stuff. ……….. Thanks

• edited November 2014

Takes a few days to respond sometimes, but might be worth using the Auria Forum to check with them. Wave Machine guys are really helpful.

• @Crabman said:

i'm on the fence,while i don't need skeuormophism in the mixer or edit screen (also no Retina for that matter) i love the look on the PSP plugs and the Channelstrip :)

I'm with you. For the most part, skeuomorphism can suck it but those look lovely. They're doable in vector though the cpu overhead might negate the ram savings.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

....would like them BIGGER however :)

Agreed. This is one of the hopeful benefits of going with vector. If all controls are vector, it's just a bit of math to reduce and enlarge them on the screen while all of their lines stay crisp and smoothe.