Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I would like to ask some Egoist questions before I make the purchase

12346»

Comments

• It will be safe in terms of not cracking up and crashing, but it sacrifices latency.

• I started to do some recording in auria and egoist seemed to completely lock up, couldn't change patterns in egoist or hear the audio I'd dragged to another track til I deleted egoist from the channel strip. Anyone else having issues?

• edited November 2014

@parallaxobject said:

It will be safe in terms of not cracking up and crashing, but it sacrifices latency.

Didn't know that, thanks I'll give it a try later.

@musikmachine said:

I started to do some recording in auria and egoist seemed to completely lock up, couldn't change patterns in egoist or hear the audio I'd dragged to another track til I deleted egoist from the channel strip. Anyone else having issues?

Only issue I had was recording into GarageBand on one song - GB recorded a track of silence at one point, and switched off while I was recording an Egoist track a few times. It's done this recently with other apps though, so could be GB or AB related

• edited November 2014

Standard mode killed Gadget on my iPad 2 - glitc¥€##hes and stu-stu-stuttering all over the place. Back to Safest mode - no stuttering, just quite a lot of

latency .

• Posted this in thw wrong thread but thanks monzo. I think there's a bug, prolly ios 8 related.

• @musikmachine said:

I started to do some recording in auria and egoist seemed to completely lock up, couldn't change patterns in egoist or hear the audio I'd dragged to another track til I deleted egoist from the channel strip. Anyone else having issues?

I've had the same thing via AB.

• Been playing more with this yesterday... and... disregard half my criticisms above.

I've now released how it's very useful to me. And I think it's gonna be great.

For me, it's not a song production tool at all. It's two things:

1. It's a "weird-glitchy-sample-hook" producing tool.

2. It's a song sketchpad to help you work out how to fit those glitchy sample phrases together in a whole track.

And it's fantastic for this. Especially if you want to make weird, glitchy, sample-driven house music.

For me, the drums and the bass are just there to help you with number 2 above. You can make some fantastic one bar sample rhythms and phrases. And then the drum track and the bass track (and the parts/song mode) are great for trying out how these are gonna sound and fit together as longer sequences and a whole track, without having to leave the app.

Then... once happy with a few different 8 bar sequences (made from a combination of 1 bar sample patterns mixed with drums and bass), I record out those 1 bar slicer sample patterns via Audiobus to Audioshare (so as to catch the tail of all that great reverb and delay Egoist gives you) and then into Gadget (Bilbao) where I sequence them back together again in the piano roll and can 'make my track'.

I can quite easily remake the drum and the bass parts with Gadget drums and a Gadget bass synth and then add other parts, and automate, further arrange, ornament etc. etc.

• It is a good app, I am still trying to figure it out. TheSoundTestRoom has a good demo video on it. I spoke with the devs and they are working to fix the graphical lag between steps 1-4 and also the display lag while triggering slices via MIDI.

• Anyone know how you trigger slices via MIDI please? Is each one a note or something? IN which case which notes please?

• IIrc starting from C3 if you switch to the sample trigger mode via the icon bottom left.

• Thanks. Found the icon.

llrc?

Anyway, i'll try keys from C3 up - or whatever. Thanks.

• iirc = if I recall correctly.

c3+ to trigger slices. c1+ to triggers patterns.

• Ah... thanks. Thought it was some kind of musically notation for keyboard keys.

Difficult to keep up with this new fangled interweb speak.

Thanks @syrupcore!

• So Pro Midi into Egosit for creating slicer patterns much longer than a bar in length could be very interesting. And it could trigger pattern changes.

I wonder how the latency is. Need to find time to have a play... (with this and many other things)

• Final question, sorry...

Can the effects in Egoist be midi controlled in anyway (e.g. by sending cc messages)? That would great.

• Yep, it's monophonic but you can conceivably trigger any one of 256 slices from an external unit. Haven't tried it yet myself. Think in order for it to be even remotely enjoyable, I would have to do it from a second device. Switching back and forth a hundred times doesn't sound wonderful.

• edited November 2014

Yep... I guess you'd forget pretty quickly which key triggers which slice. In fact that would be a big minus point for using Pro Midi for this because it doesn't preview the sound from the piano roll.

I might have a go. But probably easier just to do it all within Egoist unless you want to create an epic 10 minute slice symphony!

• Yeah the effect values can be mapped, ive done most of it with my Quneo. :)

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

Been playing more with this yesterday... and... disregard half my criticisms above.

I've now released how it's very useful to me. And I think it's gonna be great.

For me, it's not a song production tool at all. It's two things:

1. It's a "weird-glitchy-sample-hook" producing tool.

2. It's a song sketchpad to help you work out how to fit those glitchy sample phrases together in a whole track.

And it's fantastic for this. Especially if you want to make weird, glitchy, sample-driven house music.

For me, the drums and the bass are just there to help you with number 2 above. You can make some fantastic one bar sample rhythms and phrases. And then the drum track and the bass track (and the parts/song mode) are great for trying out how these are gonna sound and fit together as longer sequences and a whole track, without having to leave the app.

Then... once happy with a few different 8 bar sequences (made from a combination of 1 bar sample patterns mixed with drums and bass), I record out those 1 bar slicer sample patterns via Audiobus to Audioshare (so as to catch the tail of all that great reverb and delay Egoist gives you) and then into Gadget (Bilbao) where I sequence them back together again in the piano roll and can 'make my track'.

I can quite easily remake the drum and the bass parts with Gadget drums and a Gadget bass synth and then add other parts, and automate, further arrange, ornament etc. etc.

Yup. This is a good direction. Still having fun with this thang.