Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yes you can in fact make an album on an a humble iPad2

edited November 2014 in Creations

Is Free to anyone who actually downloads in this day and age:
http://redskylullaby.com/album/burst

Comments

• Wow, Stuart, great work.

• Just wow, this is the best sounding iOS production I've ever listened to!

• edited November 2014

Great stuff - more power to us humble ipad 2 users!

• Excellent work!

• This is excellent. Just sent you some monetary units for it!

• Great sounding stuff. Bought it :)

• Thanks everyone

• edited November 2014

Great album! Much better than a lot of the other albums I paid 10 bucks for in my life. :)

It's great you have the option of downloading Apple Lossless files. I wanted to ask if you made the entire album on the iPad 2, including the recording, mixing, and mastering. What DAW did you use? Thanks.

• Thanks @mkell424 Everything except mastering was done on ipad2. Used Beatmaker2 for all the recording and mixing. Thing I love about BM2 is you can automate everything not just volume faders, you can really fine tune mix by recording in automations of fx sends, fx parameters, pan etc. Were limits to using an older iPad, could not run a bunch of things at once, did alot of track by track recording takes and retakes, layering things up.

• Cool BM2. The synths and drums sound great. Generally did you use the internal BM2 sounds or did you use third party apps? If so what were your most used synth apps?

• Yes. Just a tiny bit of how it's done would be awesome.

Great sounds!

• @Macao95 said:

Yes. Just a tiny bit of how it's done would be awesome.

Great sounds!

I agree with Macao95 you really have great sounds. It sounds like it could be on Sirius radio's chill station. :)

• @Macao95 and @mkell424 thanks for the comments glad it is being enjoyed. There are not any Beatmaker 2 internal sounds (they are ok but not really used them) just used the Daw functionality. In terms of synths the most used ones on the album are Thor, Magellan, Nave and Animoog. I spent a bunch of time when I first got these apps just exploring making my own sounds and not actually making any tunes so I had a lot of interesting sounds by the time I went to do some recording. Samplr was also used extensively "peace out" and "vagueness squared" are 90% made just with Samplr. Samplr is great for making interesting pad sounds by using the bow mode to play the sample. Sunrise Echo was a lot of kaossilator with some synth layers on top. Firelight remedy a lot of Loopseque.
    Most tracks I recorded mixes (manipulating apps like Samplr "live" while recording) in to Bm2 via AB. Then added layers of synths and added production elements like adding fx automations and eq to the various layers. Tried to not have any track be too repetitive and throw something new in and take something out every 8 bars or so.

• I'm really digging your album. How long did it take to make minus the mastering? How much time did you spend on songwriting? How long to create the sounds? Thanks.

• @mkell424 when I first got ipad I spent a few months just exploring what apps were out there, working out what worked for me and making sounds was just very addictive (especially in Animoog and Magellan). I started recording tracks and album is a selection from about 18 months worth. Tried to be selective and not just include everything as some tracks just were not that good. On average I probably spent a week on each track spending an hour or two (not every night) on it. Also redid or edited a few of the tracks I was not totally happy with (fractillion, peace out). I also had to disguise a few glitches and pops I had not noticed when recording. The crackling fire sound fx on firelight remedy and lapping waves on Falling were actually cover ups but I like what they ended up adding to those tracks

• Thanks @thinds for posting about that. Was nice to get that write up and I tried to preach the iOS music thing also

• No probs. That is a great blog and worth a look everyday for great music and articles. He has been nice enough to post some of my nonsense in the past too.

• edited November 2014

Not meaning to infer that yours is nonsense. That may have sounded wrong.

• Yes Nice guy though I am still not sure what his actual name is. Don't think it is Ted

• great job on this