Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Would you be willing to switch to Android?

What if in the next 5 years Android will have a wider range of music apps than iOS? If you only had money for one tablet and you needed to upgrade your iPad, would you be willing to make the jump to Android?

I don't think I would switch because the OS severely lacking in other things besides music. I use my iPad as my main computer so I'm not willing to give up the overall iPad experience for some music apps. Plus I like the hardware.

Another reason is that I've bought my music, movies, and books from iTunes. I would loose everything if I switched to Android. Just my 2 cents. :)

Comments

• I don't have a particular loyalty to any platform. If Android better provides for my needs, I'll definitely switch. The hardware is cheaper too. :-)

• don't forget that we do talk about Samsung's few Android hardware platform
    this time it is not any Android

• Nope. I've already got too much money invested in iOS apps. I'm happy where I'm at and not going to rebuy them.

• edited November 2014

I won't switch.I already sunk so much money in the app store and i like apple hard and software.I have a microcosmos of Apple devices (Macbook,iPhone and iPad) that it makes absolutely sense to stay with it.

Even if Android can deliver low latency and much more music apps in 5 years...who knows how Ios and the music scene look in 5 years?An ipad pro will also have another impact i guess.

And than there was this wild fragmentation of so many different android versions...a nightmare for every dev and i don't think this will be any better in the future.

• Errr - no. Don't think so :).

• I prefer to look at it as augmenting what I currently have. No, to a full switch, but possibly yes to add to what I have now.

• Same here. Invested quite a bit of $$. I tend to stick with same things that work for me.

• Only when it performs as well...no, better than ios 7.1.2. Another 5years I reckon.

• I've got three Maxed out iPads (1,3, and 4) and I have as much money in the apps as in the 3 iPads. I do a lot more than just music on my iPad. Be a hard switch for me.

The only way I can see me switching is if Apple quality continues to tank and Google and their vendors get their act together. Google also needs to fix the version disaster Android devs have to deal with.

The only company thats made a penny on Android, besides Google of course, is Samsung. The companies are giving them away trying to catch Apple, thats why they are so cheap. If the ever want to make a profit they'll all need to raise their prices.

I have an Android phone I got last time I bought minutes for my backup PAYG phone, it was $120 for the minutes or $99 for the same minutes and an android phone, they paid me $20 to take the phone! Had it for a few months now, minutes are almost gone, its going in the trash.

• Switch? Of course not! Use both well duh....

• Depends on what the platform offered at that time, but if things were running neck & neck both platforms would probably offer the majority of the same music apps anyway

• No I wouldn't switch myself, with everything in the house and studio made by Apple, my life is just a lot simpler.

• Nope. The hardware is too fragmented, they have not figured out the audio pipeline correctly, there are way too many viruses, and way too much piracy. Each phone vendor releases their own brew of Android, with all kinds of adware, making things a support nightmare.

I'm more likely to switch to Blackberry.

• **@Tritonman2

Switch? Of course not! Use both well duh....

@Tritonman2 Well some of us don't have the cash to buy a second tablet and buy all our apps again. Some people who have the money would rather put those hundreds of dollars or pounds for the Android tablet into their current iPad setup, like a new keyboard, audio interface, and more apps.

I would spend the Android money on one of those full sized keyboards with the built in iPad dock and audio interface. :)

• edited November 2014

@BigDawgsByte said:

Google also needs to fix the version disaster Android devs have to deal with.

Indeed. This has spelled disaster already. I've also read other apple devs (in another niche market) were unable to recoup their investment costs after their foray into Android. They found that people with Android aren't as willing to pay for their apps. Though this could be different in the music market, who knows.

• edited November 2014

Well Mkell, The question was asked and I answered . Some of us might like the option is all. I for one would use both. I do realize some would not and I am only answering for myself thank you very much.
    / However if my funds were unlimited I too wish for a new keyboard in the way of a Korg Kronos X.

• edited November 2014

@Coloobar said:

@BigDawgsByte said:

Google also needs to fix the version disaster Android devs have to deal with.

Indeed. This has spelled disaster already. I've also read other apple devs (in another niche market) were unable to recoup their investment costs after their foray into Android. They found that people with Android aren't as willing to pay for their apps. Though this could be different in the music market, who knows.

The other thing is that there is no set CPU for the Android (fragmentation, people have mentioned it in this thread). I read an article where a dev had to make 400 different versions of his app to sell to the widest audience in order to recoup his costs. It sounds like a nightmare.

• The only reason I would switch is if increased hackability of a stable android platform led to more capabilities.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

The only reason I would switch is if increased hackability of a stable android platform led to more capabilities.

Unfortunately, the more "hackable" something is, i.e. the more hidden APIs and such, the less stable things generally get over time (real open source is a different story). Android's "hackability" is a big part of why its stability is so bad. The things that make iOS so un-hackable is what has made it so stable over time. While I agree that they probably pushed 8 out too soon, with AAPL stock at an all time high its hard to argue with success.

iOS has only been out only 2 months now, and 56% of iOS devices have already been upgraded to iOS. No OS other than previous versions of iOS have ever come close to these numbers. We, iOS users have been pretty spoiled over the last few years.

• Zero platform loyalty so if it better suited my needs, I'd be inclined to switch.

That said, two things come to mind: 1) I trust Google even less that I trust Apple with my personal data (since my data is Google's business model) and 2) like @tarekith mentioned, I do quite like the ease of all my crap 'just work'ing together.

• Yes, I'll play anything I can get my hands on. I play a Gibson as my main guitar, but would gladly play a Gresch or whatever. Music is my goal. I have no loyalties to any platform.

• I see it as shades of gray. I could have alligiences all over. I'm a consumer. If an Android app exists that is compelling enough, I might consider it, but that doesn't meam I'll give up on iOS.....I see shades of loyalty and distrust across the spectrum though, since social media can sway it. The proof is where the OS, dev's, and market can all benefit.

• in five years I hope to move on to some new platform using AR holographic projected synth interfaces in space-

• I have no platform or brand loyalty whatsoever, so whatever gives the best price/function ratio would be my choice. So, yes.

I can see the merit in the apple ecosystem though, but I don't have any other apple devices, so that's no argument for me.

• edited November 2014

No ... because of the device fragmentation. I don't believe that Google will solve this problem. Maybe Windows Phone OS will be a winner in 5 years. Time will tell ;-)

• Yes, if Android fixes its latency issues and other problems and if Android becomes equal in performance and if there is the same amount of apps...;-)

There are tablets that outperform ipad for half price...with 8 core CPUs, 2GB memory and 32 GB HDD...

Some of you should take your "loyalty issues" less seriously, LOL...

• I have 0 platform loyalty too, but like the "open source thing" you can use a android device direct with USB/HDMI can transfer your stuff direct in the explorer no adapters
    @iOS (19€ for a Standard original (yippie) DataPowerCable + 29€ for USB + 29€ for HDMI......WTF!

@ Android no special (paid)SW; no JailBreak.....I_No fucking iTUnes

Just plug your Device in.

This sucks on iOS. will go to android but I've already got too much money invested in iOS apps.
    & LAst but not Least its all @ the DEVs, they dont wanna jump into this fragmented ocean of devices....maybe google will bring this together sometimes, but.....we will see....
    I am more interested whats going on with Windows(mobile)...

• I don't care about the loyalty issue. I care about the apps and the math. If I buy an iPad Air 2 for $600 it will include roughly $2000 worth of apps that I've already bought, so my total cost for adding a loaded iPad is $600, plus tax. If I bought a $300 Android tablet my total cost to get the same content would be around $2300, if the apps are even available. At this point I'm stuck with Apple whether I want to be or not.