Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pick a DAW, any DAW (Er... Help ME pick a DAW)

124»

Comments

• Actually 24 bit vs 16 bit is a major improvement in sound replication and quality. There are limits and caveats etc but generally speaking you would be much better off recording at 24/48 than you would at 16/48 for example.

• @Stewart - May I ask what your current ios recording workflow is? I also love Auria but using it with Audiobus isn't so smooth at times. N-Track is another DAW that does 24 bit and has fx.

• Stewart I must agree with you, the best DAW is Auria, you could do so much with it and don't even mention the FabFilter plug ins.

• Pretty sure I'm not wrong about the why on the sonic difference between the VS880 and the HD24 but maybe you're not talking to me. I always record 24bit when possible but if I had to choose between 16bit on a pro spec'd machine and 24bit through my ipad headphone jack, I'd go 16 every time.

• @syrupcore - haha, sorry i thought i had already responded to your post. I post on so many threads i get mixed up on which ones im involved in. I was hoping to get some geoff emerick tips. Regarding vs 880, you're probably right man. I just dont wanna think too much about specs nowdays (even tho my posts may seem otherwise) and focus more on making music. If something like auria or ntrack or multitrack says 24 bit, i just wanna incorporate it into system and move on. Im lucky i never got ns2 as many of you swear by it but since i havent and am broke to buy newest version, ill just stay focused on what ive got.

• @PatrickMoore - still here? Pls pls any Geoff Emerick tips?

• @gjcyrus my bad. That was @stewart. his reply came right after my post but he may not have even been talking to me - he forgot the @ too. :)

• edited May 2013

syrupcore wrote:

I always record 24bit when possible but if I had to choose between 16bit on a pro spec'd machine and 24bit through my ipad headphone jack, I'd go 16 every time.

I agree completely. Well designed 16 bit converters always win against poorly designed 24 bit converters, and that's just a natural fact. Most 24 bit converters only provide 20 bits or so anyway, as the noise floor of the unit effectively eats up at least 4-6 bits.
    That's why I don't mind forgetting all the numbers and taking the low level hit in beat maker 2. Its a creative decision, as the music I've been making with that app has been sample based and just plain loud. (These new tracks will finally be trickling onto my soundcloud that is the first of mine to be basically iOS made)
    I mix in protools 8, so of course the 16 bit exports from beat maker 2 are converted to 32 bit float for mixing automatically. Then I bounce to 24 bit for mastering.

For the geeks out there, I've even went as far as this:
    iPad->CCK->USB to Stanton T90->Phono out to Radial J33->XLR out to Art Digital MPA2->SPDIF out at 48/24 to DIGI002->protools
    Man can you just push the mix hard... I've used the empirical labs fatso before, and this is like a gutter version LOL

Anyway, lets not forget that some here are talking about 24bit files vs 16bit for delivery, and some are talking about these in a mixing scenario.
    I'm stressing the latter.

Ps- why does every post on tapatalk look like wall-O-text? Tapatalk is ignoring all punctuation?

• @gjcyrus Only drop into forum couple times a week, loving the chat on the thread, all good points from everyone, @gjcyrus ill try answer some your questions, I was lucky and I mean lucky to work as Geoffs tape op/assistant for about 6 years, I started at 19 yrs old in a private studio that just so happened to get Geoff and other top engineers to record and so I learnt the tricks off some great guys, this was all analogue in the beginning going though to the early days of digital, I also did session at Abbey Road with Geoff and George Martin although this was around the time when George Matins hearing was not great, he would have his son with him to help with the bits he couldn't hear.

Going offtrack again, anyway I don't know everything just the stuff I do I know well, always learning and loving the whole ios music making, I've always embraced new tech in making music, like the early days of Protools which was very hit a miss I can really see this way of making is going to be the future, it much more in the control of the user, if you got a bit of talent then it's cheaper than ever to make music, yes there will always be big pro studios for orchestras and big bands that can afford it. But the fact I can have a good sounding studio in may bag just excites me a lot, love Audiobus as well, just like a mini patch bay,

Not really on topic but hope that's helps.

• @Dubhausdisco Totally agree as well.

• @PatrickMoore - mind sharing any tips/advice that you learned from them? The fact that you come from analogue background, even better :)