Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video Tutorial: Using the BeatMaker2 midi editor to sync up your apps

edited March 2013 in App Tips and Tricks

One of the most frequently asked questions I've heard on the forum is that of "How do I sync up my apps?" and although I haven't figured out clock sync, this is an easy workaround. It's very similar to what you would have done in a desktop DAW to control a VSTi. This should also work with other DAWs other then BM2, like Meteor, cubasis, and auria. If anyone wants to try and post their results, I imagine it would be helpful.

Hope this helps!

Comments

• great video. i'm just now finally getting into iOS music stuff -- I didn't really take it seriously before AudioBus came a long and presented a way to use several applications in conjunction that was you would VSTs inside a DAW. i've been using the same method to sync with BM2s midiclock.

anyhow, i noticed you're getting some of the same crackle that I get when I bus into BeatMaker -- this sound doesn't occur whenever I bus into anything else like GarageBand or Loopy.

so far i have:

1. closed all other apps
    2. turned off wifi (sounds silly, but i tried it)
    3. checked latency settings. they seem fine (its a 3 month old Ipad w/retina display...)
    4. reinstalled BM2

I would say the noise is tolerable if it were just coming through in the monitoring while i play, but you can hear it in the recorded output as well inside beatmaker's bounced audio tracks. so yeah...that's totally unacceptable. pretty disappointed as it would be completely convenient to use BM2 as both a midi clock/sequencer & output source for my audio, since so much of my stuff goes in there anyway from BM2s sampler.

anyway, you mentioned in the video "we can always get rid of that later", meaning get rid of the crackle.

do you have any suggestions?

thanks!

• @claydoh the easiest thing I have found is to put the app you are recording from on top and use the record button on the panel.

I find that stops almost all clicking. If you are still getting click. Raise the audio buffer in audiobus.

• edited March 2013

right on. will give that a shot.

i've browsed around a bit and it seems to be a fairly common issue ever since they issued the last couple updates.

hopefully the chaps over at Intua will sort it out and get rid of the crackling no matter what you've got running on top.

• Just wondering if Bluetooth is also disabled.

• @Claydoh Right, I forgot that BM2 has been having minor issues with that.. I noticed most people complaining were using iPad4.. So i kind of brushed it off. That might be the problem.

@funjunkie27 My bluetooth was not disabled.. It has never caused a problem before. Is that one of the fixes for this?

• I'm not aware of it causing problems, but it does take CPU cycles, so it might be worth a try.

• @funjunkie27 True.. I'm not too worried about it. I really didn't prepare for this recording. I had gmail, safari, the simpsons game and numerous other things open just before i made the video and i didn't close them. The only time I have gotten clicks prior to that was when i was running iMS-20 into beatmaker2 with 16 tracks already recorded, 6 internal synths running and the MS-20 was tweaked with more patches then you can shake a stick at. lol All i had to do was put it on top and use the panel record and all was great. I was more concerned with the problems @Claydoh was having then my own as it hasn't been much of an issue for me at all thus far. Hopefully putting the app he is recording on top will help him.

• @Ryan - yeah...probably wouldn't make much difference with all that going on. BTW, thanks to you and @DerikBuddemeyer on your Alchemy pack recommendations. I've got all but three or four now, including the ones you both mentioned, and I'm blown away with the sounds you can get on that app! Easily in my top synth apps.

• @Ryan - forgot to add that I appreciate you taking the time to make the video. That helps me!

• edited March 2013

Great video! :) I would love to be able to do that again!

@claydoh, I share your feelings. I've been messing with BM all week trying to get rid of the crackles, and it seems there's no way to do it, no matter the settings or workarounds. Sent Intua an e-mail but no response yet.
    It was working perfectly before the last update and other DAWs are Ok, so I hope they fix it soon as I'm trying to finish a song for an important project. I wouldn't like to move it to Cubasis at this point, I'm used to BM and love working with it.

• @funjunkie27 No probs.. Alchemy is awesome, prior to buying iPoly Six and iMS-20, Alchemy was my favourite synth app. For soundscapes, weird noises and arps it's still my number one synth. But i have barely touched it since audiobus has been out. That update can't get here soon enough! :-)

• @FRibeiro @Claydoh After shutting everything down completely I just played for about 2 hours using Animoog, iPoly Six, and iMS-20 into BM2 without a single click or pop... I wish i knew what i was doing different then you guys.. I do always have "do not disturb" on and my Bluetooth keyboard is always running... I have multi touched gestures turned off.. Orientation locked using the mute switch. I have a couple test flight provisioning profiles running.. can't see why it'd matter but I'm just trying to think of what i might be doing differently then you.. my iPad 3rd gen is completely up to date, BM2 is up to date..

• yeah -- i tried running the actual animoog app on top, tried recording from the audiobus bar on the side everything. also re-installed BM2 and also went as far as to wipe and restore the ipad. still having the same issue.

the only other time i've noticed a similar crack is inside garageband -- like if you move a wave form forwards or backwards in the track editor while its still playing, you'll get that pop. for this reason i'm sure it has something to do with BPMs track editor and some issue it has when receiving audio from outside of BM2.

hopefully enough people will complain about it that they'll come up with a work around or a fix soon! would love to get to recording properly inside of BM2 and not some other DAW that works half as well otherwise.

• And guess what... Today i started clicking and can't get it to stop now... Same exact thing you are going through... What the GUH??? LOL I'm sure BM2 devs know but I'll tell em too.. the more complaints the better? no wait... that doesn't sound right. LOL Bummer man. Thanks!

• Is there a way to accurately use the lfo from BM to midi control a knob in animoog. I can get them to respond to each other just not very accurate

• I didn't know that was possible.. be interesting to hear what you are doing to get it working at all even if it is inaccurate. I've been able to do things like that by assigning mod wheels and x/y pads to different midi properties but not with the LFO in BM2. I thought that only effected samples in the sampler and not actually send midi messages out. Interesting idea.. Are you using midi bridge to alter the outgoing messages?

• @Ryan. No I don't use a midi bridge. Just posted on the forum a video of my process