Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Syncronize start recording

edited March 2013 in Support and Feedback

Hi,
Please explain if there is a way to syncronize start playing and recording using audiobus.
My example:
I am using DrumJam as source connected via Audiobus with BeatMaker2 to record audio sequences. How can I syncronize the exact moment of playing a drum sequence with recording in BeatMaker...is there a way to trigger the start playing and start recording in the same moment?
Thank you!
K

Comments

• I've contacted the Beatmaker developers, maybe they can help you with this.

Currently Audiobus does not provide the feature you're looking for but I think the MIDI implementation of Beatmaker could be advanced enough that you can sync Beatmaker with DM1 via virtual MIDI (which is a bit tricky to set up though).

Is anyone doing this already?

• edited March 2013

Hi @Konashu a great way to sync up apps in beat maker is to use the beatmaker midi editor. You can write your drum riff in BM2 and send it to drumjam. Then with audiobus you can route the audio to record in BM2 instantly.. Thus perfect sync.

Try this, when it works add it to your project:
    -Open Audiobus
    -Open BM2 in output (new project, keyboard sampler, empty preset)
    -Open DrumJam in input
    - In BM2 go to your keyboard sampler track (there will be a auto created drumjam track now too)
    - Use the draw tool to draw a midi track, use select tool (double tap) to open
    -Inside the midi editor use the draw tool to write your drum riff. As soon as you touch your finger to start drawing you will here the selceted drum per note.
    -Hit record and watch it go!

That's it, Easy peasy :-)

• Thank you Ryan!

• No probs. I made a video tutorial for this so it's a little easier to learn. I posted it to a new forum discussion. http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/637/video-tutorial-using-the-beatmaker2-midi-editor-to-sync-up-your-apps

I hope this helps!

• edited March 2013

But the original poster may have wanted to use DrumJam's built-in loops, or perhaps live-play the pads to construct the loop. In this case you'll want to send MIDI clock to DrumJam from BM2. In BM2's preferences, select MIDI Setup, make sure the entry in the Outputs column for DrumJam is set to ON, and enable both the MIDI Out and Clock Send toggles at the bottom. Verify in DrumJam's MIDI config that nothing is enabled there, you don't want to double receive any events.

Now, you can go to DrumJam, do your setup, then using the audiobus side panel, you can hit play, let it run for a few bars and get it all synced up. You should see the background of the tempo control in DrumJam turn blue indicating it is getting external clock. Then, once things have stabilized at the tempo you set in BM2, you can stop, hit rewind to zero, then Record when you are ready go. Everything should be in sync.

When you are done using DrumJam, be sure to close it or turn off the midi send so that it stops responding to transport events from BM2.

• Nice. Thanks @sonosaurus :-) You're apps seem to work better with this then many others. I did mention in the video that it's only cause for the most part i can't get midi sync working.. but my method seems to work with every midi capable app. So I guess people can use a combo or whatever is easiest for them :-)

• You're apps seem to work better with this then many others.

yes. that. And thank you for it!

• I will do a video with the KORG apps ( iElectribe, iMS20, iKaossilator, etc. ) as soon as I figure out the smoothest workflow for doing so. As of now, it seems that iElectribe must follow MIDI tempo rather than setting it ( as I'd do with the hardware ) .

• edited March 2014