Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrackStudio: Tips, Tricks, & Updates (Last update: v. 2.9 on Nov. 14, 2017)

Comments

• @pichi said:

Hard to find out, because even when I render the midi in 24bit (after setting preferences) anything I send it to on the device renders it to 16 on the fly (twisted wave or audio share)

Probably goes into iTunes file share as 24 when the separate stems are exported- or when exported as MTS project.

• edited May 2015

@Littlewoodg said:

Hard to find out, because even when I render the midi in 24bit (after setting preferences) anything I send it to on the device renders it to 16 on the fly (twisted wave or audio share)

Probably goes into iTunes file share as 24 when the separate stems are exported- or when exported as MTS project.

Thanks. Pity it's only 16 bit on the fly though.

• @pichi said:
    Will the pro extension do 24 bit copy midi to audio ? Copy to audioshare always renders it 16 bit.

I've found a solution. Use export tracks to send to Audioshare and it will render in 32 bit audio. :)

• @pichi said:
    I've found a solution. Use export tracks to send to Audioshare and it will render in 32 bit audio. :)

That's cool I had no idea you could go 32

• Thanks Littlewoodg! 64-bit support in this one. The one that caught my eye is the punch in fix, which is nice if you are trying to add something live.

• I've got my eyes on this because at the moment Auria for me takes up too much resources when I want to record multiple streams of Audio on the same device and this does midi too...and Auria Pro still seems far off.

So is this possible in the current version:

Say I have multiple apps in Audiobus some playing audio and some synths playing via midi all synced to and playing via an app like Different drummer. Would I be able to record into MTS separate Audio and midi tracks at the same time live in perfect sync onto separate tracks in MTS? eg some as virtual instruments midi data and some as Audio tracks? I think this is possible looking at the manual but you never know until you try....

Anyone tried something like this yet?

• So I can buy it I'm just going to assume that it does everything in my dreams and is hand delivered from the app store by a beautiful flower-adorned maiden on a unicorn... (*rolls up sleeves and presses buy button)

• I haven't stressed it much as you describe, but it seems it should be able to handle it. I'd be interested to hear how it works for you.

• thanks @funjunkie27 :) will let you know how it goes....

• New update on MTS. I did not notice it, unfortunately, because it is an iOS8-only update. Certainly the majority of people are on 8.0 or newer for iOS, but one of the reasons I like MTS is that it runs on my iPad2 quite well, and that is "stuck" at 7.1.4 or whatever the last version was. I will have to upgrade that iPad very soon, and it looks like no new MTS updates for me otherwise!

Anyway...

What's New in Version 2.1.1

• Master Limiter effect now has RMS output level meter.

• Pianoroll: selected notes which are long enough get resize grip to move start of note (in addition to the one at the end of the note).

• Pianoroll: notes that are too high/low to appear in the pianoroll appear dimmed above/below the pianoroll while scrolling vertically.

• Score editor: notes shorter than current grid can be added/moved accurately without having to change the grid first.

• Supports MIDI via Bluetooth LE (MultitrackStudio acts as Central, so it can connect to Peripherals)

• External MIDI Instruments, Virtual MIDI and IAA Instruments: no pitch bend range messages are sent if the pitch bend range is set to zero. Can be useful if the instrument uses controllers 100/101 for something other than RPNs.

• Fixed: SoundFont Player ignored note-offs with certain soundfonts. You'll have to re-import these soundfonts.

• Better handling of some out-of-storage-space situations.

• Now requires iOS 8 or newer.

• Various bug fixes.

• I've just started digging into it and it really is a great DAW, maybe the best work horse on iOS at the moment. Editing takes a bit of getting used to as tracks are not visible at once unless you adjust them but once you get over that it's very easy to work with. The effects are quite usable — compression is very good and EQ is no slouch either. If it had a bus system it would be right up there with a computer DAW.

• @pichi said:
    I've just started digging into it and it really is a great DAW, maybe the best work horse on iOS at the moment. Editing takes a bit of getting used to as tracks are not visible at once unless you adjust them but once you get over that it's very easy to work with. The effects are quite usable — compression is very good and EQ is no slouch either. If it had a bus system it would be right up there with a computer DAW.

The extension pack does have assignable mixer groups...

• edited July 2015

I've watched another video about it and it seems to me, that it cares more for a good workflow than for optics. That is a very good thing. What I find a little bit distracting are the thick borders in some editing windows - I think screen-space should be used more efficiently on a small device.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    The extension pack does have assignable mixer groups...

Thanks for pointing this out! I got the extension pack recently, but didn't realise this. This will be a big help!

• I'm just on the fence buying another plugin for Auria, as long as it is on sale but MTS is really tempting - especially after the last update, which improved midi-editing. Thats a department, where Cubasis still not does it for me.

• edited July 2015

Just pulled the trigger and bought it. Probably this makes more sense for me as buying plugins, I don't know how much use I get out of them. Cubasis, Auria and MTS are seeming to be the most complete DAW-solutions out there right now and it is unclear, how they evolve under iOS9 with audio-units. So it seems to be a good idea to have a bet on all of them.

• edited July 2015

I think Auria is still the best app for mixing and mastering because of its high quality plugins and you aren't limited to 32 tracks. But for composition and midi/audio integration, MTS is the winner at this point. There doesn't seem to be a file system like in Auria though, so it's best to use it in conjunction with Audioshare to back up individual tracks.

• @pichi said:
    Thanks for pointing this out! I got the extension pack recently, but didn't realise this. This will be a big help!

Glad to pass on the information, it's a cool and useful feature. Extra cool for me as it was something I had requested on the developer's forum and it appeared (with many other user's requested items) about 6 weeks later.

• @pichi said:
    There doesn't seem to be a file system like in Auria though, so it's best to use it in conjunction with Audioshare to back up individual tracks.

Thanks for that tip! Audioshare-integration is a huge plus for MTS imo. Compared to other DAW's, MTS looks a bit strange on first sight but it seems to be very functional. Markers are great!

• edited July 2015

@Earsinn said:
    Thanks for that tip! Audioshare-integration is a huge plus for MTS imo. Compared to other DAW's, MTS looks a bit strange on first sight but it seems to be very functional. Markers are great!

Yeah. I can't believe Auria is limited to 4 markers!?!? How much memory can a marker use? They appear to be unlimited in MTS, just a bit fiddly if close together.

• edited July 2015

I've played a bit with it and so far starting to like it. I have the impression, that it drives me to focus on the song and not so much on it's visualization. Scrubbing in the audio-editor is pure joy and the copy/paste workflow is very nice. The transport-controll mechanism is clever.

Getting to often used positions in the song is better thought out than in many other apps.

What I don't like is, that I have to press the +-button in the midi editor for each note, I want to add again, but ok.

The workflow is totally different to that of Cubasis. In many ways cubasis is more intuitive on the first look. But editing in Cubasis has often driven me nuts. MTS seems to be much more predictable.

What I would like to have in MTS is a grid, which is independent of the current zoom-level, but thats minor, I think.

Anyways - workflow-wise this is a fresh breeze and very welcome, overall.

Only some first impression, I have not seen so much yet.

• @Earsinn said:
    Just pulled the trigger and bought it. Probably this makes more sense for me as buying plugins, I don't know how much use I get out of them. Cubasis, Auria and MTS are seeming to be the most complete DAW-solutions out there right now and it is unclear, how they evolve under iOS9 with audio-units. So it seems to be a good idea to have a bet on all of them.

MTS developer, Giel Bremmers is a great developer and is responsive to email support, there's a forum too for queries and feature requests. I got a confirmation recently that MTS will be supporting AU units which is good news.

Presumably all the major DAWs will, which will ultimately make working with plugins much better than IAA.

Btw you can enable sticky notes in the preferences so you don't have keep pressing the plus button to add notes.

• @Carnbot said:
    Btw you can enable sticky notes in the preferences so you don't have keep pressing the plus button to add notes.

Thanks for pointing me on this. Good to have this option.

Yes, I think also, they will all jump on AU's. But that will mix up the cards for a new game and perhaps Apps which are now rated as underdogs, could be viewed from a different angle.

I really would love to settle on one DAW and invest only in this. But iOS makes such decisions more tuff, cause the future of apps is not easy to foresee and with 3 DAW's at hand it is more likely, that one of them gets into a condition, to settle on it, perhaps.

For final mixing/mastering, Auria is indeed hard to beat and probably won't be beaten for a long time, for it's great quality plugins alone.

• Auria and MTS seem to be complimentary workflows and I'm glad I have both to work with.

I really can't see Fabfilter not releasing their plugins as iOS Au units in the future, unless they have some kind of deal with Wavemachine labs, so hopefully we can use them with MTS too.

• edited July 2015

@Carnbot said:
    I really can't see Fabfilter not releasing their plugins as iOS Au units in the future, unless they have some kind of deal with Wavemachine labs, so hopefully we can use them with MTS too.

But the question might be, with which pricing-structure this plugins would be published. As AU's are cross-platform, as I've understood, they had either to lower their desktop-prices significantly, or offer the ipad-AU's for the current desktop-price. Can't imagine, that they want to do so, or so.

• @Earsinn Yes can't say I'm sure how it works but I assumed that they are cross platform in the fact that you can say, use a plugin on your iPad into a desktop daw via inter device audio but you can't use the iPad au version in the desktop daw without the iPad.

Maybe if you buy the desktop version you'll get the iPad au included in the bundle but if you just by the iPad version you can upgrade to the desktop for additional cost...we'll see :)

• edited July 2015

What makes me looking forward to AU's, are the effects, that many of us already have as iaa-apps. The AU FX-suite is already AU-ready and they offer excellent value. But currently they rest in peace on my flash-drive, cause of the current limitations. The biggest current drawback for me is missing reliably total recall, on the second place is missing instances. Out of my view, iOS9 should be the biggest game-changer, audio-wise since the very first iPod touch.

• I can't see too many Mac AUs working directly on iOS in the near future because of the CPU load. I'm guessing we'll get iOS only AUs, which would also be better for pricing. If iOS music and desktop music became indistinguishable it would push a lot of amateurs out of the game because of the pricing and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen.

• Wow - I've just found out, that Auria has also Audioshare-integration. That makes it and MTS indeed a dream team. Very cool!