Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrackStudio: Tips, Tricks, & Updates (Last update: v. 2.9 on Nov. 14, 2017)

Comments

• edited March 2015

First update since last November! Nothing too revolutionary in this one - probably the most useful item for me is the change in how copy/paste can work within the track editor. Previously, you had to paste ACP content into a new track, which felt archaic compared to how most other DAWs work.

What's New in Version 1.8

• MultitrackStudio Instruments: virtually all instruments sound better. Acoustic pianos respond to Soft pedal (controller #67). Bowed strings and many winds respond the Legato controller (#68). Synths have Filter and Resonance knobs. Drums have Bass/Snare/Toms/Hihat/Ride/Crash level knobs.

• Track editors can copy to (or paste from) General Pasteboard or AudioShare. Swipe horizontally over the COPY (or PASTE) button to access these options.

• MIDI editors: added 'swing' options to quantize resolution box.

• MIDI pitch controller editor now has 'R' button to set pitch bend range.

• 'Export MIDI tracks' can export to General Pasteboard.

• Tracks can be switched to Practice Mode by doubleclicking the track's Play button. Tracks can now be in Practice Mode regardless of instrument or effect panes being visible. Having multiple tracks in practice mode simultaneously is now possible.

• Tempo editor: BPM lower limit lowered to 8 BPM, so there's more room for fermata.

• Soft-monitored audio tracks: level meter shows speaker symbol to indicate output clipping (the meter itself shows the input level).

• Fixed: Stereo Imager wouldn't convert stereo input to pure mono (Width=0 didn't work).

• Extension Pack now features Multiband Compressor effect.

• He's definitely listening to his customers. Implementing the pitch bend range was my idea. Love all of the other new features as well. The new midi copy paste feature is going to rock.

• Happy about new copy/paste functionality too. I hope multitrack recording out of AB comes next time!

• I just saw the update yesterday. Is this any good? How does it compare to Auria or Cubasis?

• edited March 2015

Just remember there is a Lite version for check it out running under 32-bit Windows version (Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP), 64-bit Windows version (x64 Windows 8, 7, Vista), Mac OS X version (OS X 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6).

Its main limitation is that it can't handle more than 3 tracks:

http://www.multitrackstudio.com/download.php

• edited March 2015

@telecode101 said:
    I just saw the update yesterday. Is this any good? How does it compare to Auria or Cubasis?

It's the best DAW for midi at the moment as it has excellent automation, a score editor and unlimited tempo and time signature editing much as you would get on a desktop/laptop DAW. For audio editing stick to Auria.

• @Littlewoodg Thanks for the tip. Would be interested in your personal opinion on Pichi's comment above. About right? Or no....?

• @pichi said:
    It's the best DAW for midi at the moment as it has excellent automation, a score editor and unlimited tempo and time signature editing much as you would get on a desktop/laptop DAW. For audio editing stick to Auria.

Unless you need to use more than one MIDI port at a time. If so, Cubasis appears to be the only solution on iOS until auria pro (and NS2?) drops.

• edited April 2015

JG: Midiwise I agree with pichi, but I'd go further and say go with MTS for audio as well. The editors are amazing for both midi and audio...especially since the update, very slick, and deep as deep gets on iOS.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    JG: Midiwise I agree with pichi, but I'd go further and say go with MTS for audio as well. The editors are amazing for both midi and audio...especially since the update, very slick, and deep as deep gets on iOS.

Wow, that's strong comment. Thanks for your input.

• I haven't gone 'pro' with it, but I'm tempted by the updates — in app pitch shifting, audio tempo editing as well as time stretching are great additions.
    ...still waiting for Auria Pro though...

• The sticky midi note editing was a great add.

• Sticky midi is a good thing?

• For note editing...yes. Before, you add to hit the + button every time you wanted to add a new note. That was long a peeve of mine with the editor. It is an option now, so you can have it either way.

• The sticky button update is a case in point with this developer: the app had a different way to do stuff, he was clear it was a better way, and would explain why on his forum. Users asked for the change anyways, and he figured out a way to do both. Most of the things on his updates comes straight from user requests on his forum.
    @pichi the pro extension becomes more of a bargain every update.
    @JohnnyGoodyear not that my input means much, I'm just a nerd and an amateur, I haven't made music professionally since 80s...but you're welcome.
    My personal opinion here is that the dev has magical powers. The feature set on this daw is unmatched on iOS, and its footprint is less than 15 mb....

• @Littlewoodg I am determined to set aside enough time to get past the 'all looks different, must be difficult' stage with MTS. Any suggestions as to a good/current tutorial/vid in your opinion?

• edited April 2015

I asked for multitrack recording from AB a couple months ago, and here it is!

With better track cycling too!

Now trying to figure out a way to fit this into an Ableton workflow.

• I had some pretty big breakthroughs as far as workflow with this app over the weekend. Really like the time stretch method in the new update.

• I'd be curious to know what sort of breakthroughs...!

• edited April 2015

Mainly how to incorporate in my workflow. I basically found that I was too reliant on trying to use IAA and Audiobus functionality at the same time for the MIDI and Audio. I'm now using IAA only for track effects, Audiobus (and Virtual MIDI) for audio/clock/MIDI recording. I would also attest this is the most complete DAW on iOS for MIDI and Audio at the moment (it may not be the prettiest and it has quirks that aren't the best, but it works).

Oh, and knowing about arming a track in "practice" mode has seemed to help, too

• edited April 2015

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Littlewoodg I am determined to set aside enough time to get past the 'all looks different, must be difficult' stage with MTS. Any suggestions as to a good/current tutorial/vid in your opinion?

This is a link to the MTS forum thread that has videos (these were done by one of our AB forum members) http://www.multitrackstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2154

One thing about video for MTS: the updates come fast, this set is one update behind...

• @Littlewoodg said:
    One thing about video for MTS: the updates come fast, this set is one update behind...

Thanks Boss, I appreciate it. Kid's away at camp (in 'Big Thicket, Texas', not a destination I ever imagined my progeny would attend :), so maybe the next few days will prove to be a good time for some studying....

• @funjunkie27 said:
    For note editing...yes. Before, you add to hit the + button every time you wanted to add a new note. That was long a peeve of mine with the editor. It is an option now, so you can have it either way.

@Littlewoodg said:
    The sticky button update is a case in point with this developer: the app had a different way to do stuff, he was clear it was a better way, and would explain why on his forum. Users asked for the change anyways, and he figured out a way to do both. Most of the things on his updates comes straight from user requests on his forum.
    pichi the pro extension becomes more of a bargain every update.
    JohnnyGoodyear not that my input means much, I'm just a nerd and an amateur, I haven't made music professionally since 80s...but you're welcome.
    My personal opinion here is that the dev has magical powers. The feature set on this daw is unmatched on iOS, and its footprint is less than 15 mb....

Wow! I did update the app but totally missed that in the change log! I was definitely one of those people all over his message boards bemoaning the lack of one-touch note add - Giel was very responsive about why he didn't want it that way (and I completely understand why people may prefer it the way he had it). So I had let it go, but it's terrific that he added it as an option. To me, it was the one thing holding back MTS from being as great of a MIDI composition tool as it is a DAW. It was just too slow to do the touch and drag method to write new notes. Now that it's been made faster, it's much easier to envision writing basic parts with the in-app instruments, and then having them control other apps through AB or IAA. From sketch to finished product without needing to bring in a separate app.

I might actually be behind in terms of MTS's capabilities - my time is limited and while I spent most of 2014 exploring iOS and synths/drums for the first time, I've been drawn back into guitars and physical hardware/pedals recently. But MTS is still the best and easiest way for me to record, so it's great that something like this exists (and works on some of the older hardware).

• I need to dig into it more as well. I never understood what the dev's preferred solution was to sticky editing, but this works well for me now that it's added.

• @funjunkie27 said:
    I need to dig into it more as well. I never understood what the dev's preferred solution was to sticky editing, but this works well for me now that it's added.

It took me a second to figure out, but I like it. The thing with MTS's piano roll grid is that is isn't quite as "load up and go" as something like Gadget. You need to resize/zoom it and move around stuff to the point where you can comfortably touch and add notes. Once you do that, however, it is quite easy use. One difference is that if you do add a "whoops" note, you need to click either "delete" or "undo" to get a rid of it (the buttons are on the bottom toolbar). No one-click (Gadget) or double-click (Caustic) deleting.

You can drag and extend notes and it will quantize to the nearest interval, but unlike Gadget, where it basically places a "block" you can drag into 2, 3, 4, etc. blocks...MTS allows you to draw from a point. Still works, but works best if you press close to the start of the beat so you can expand the note from that point. Hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean when you use it.

• Thanks @StormJH1. I'm familiar with editing in Gadget and Caustic, so I understand what you mean there. Now I just need to find some time for MTS. It seems very capable...just different.

• edited May 2015

Will the pro extension do 24 bit copy midi to audio ? Copy to audioshare always renders it 16 bit.

• @pichi said:
    Will the pro extension do 24 bit copy midi to audio ? Copy to audioshare always renders it 16 bit.

Anybody?

• I would post the question in the MST forum, or email the dev.