Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrackStudio: Tips, Tricks, & Updates (Last update: v. 2.9 on Nov. 14, 2017)

14567810»

Comments

• @Carnbot said:

@pichi said:

@Carnbot said:
    updated :)
    Pro extension now includes the multi midi editor which was only previously 12.9 ipads....

Sweet. It's been a long time coming. I was worried it was a goner.

Yeah, unfortunately looks like there's a problem with audiobus 3 on this update, can't get any sound to come through

And still having problems with Phasemaker returning to default preset. Too bad. Other AUs working fine though.

• @pichi said:
    And still having problems with Phasemaker returning to default preset. Too bad. Other AUs working fine though.

Just the name in the display or also the sound? Because it's impossible to display the correct presetname (in any host). The host just dumps a saved state and the plugin simply has no way of knowing what preset was once used to create that state. So there is no meaningful name that can be displayed.

If the sound is also incorrect something is certainly wrong and I'll need to look into that.

• @brambos said:

@pichi said:

Just the name in the display or also the sound? Because it's impossible to display the correct presetname (in any host). The host just dumps a saved state and the plugin simply has no way of knowing what preset was once used to create that state. So there is no meaningful name that can be displayed.

If the sound is also incorrect something is certainly wrong and I'll need to look into that.

The sound goes back to default in Phasemaker and Troublemaker too. I didn't check your other apps.
    Cheers!

• @pichi said:

@Carnbot said:

@pichi said:

@Carnbot said:
    updated :)
    Pro extension now includes the multi midi editor which was only previously 12.9 ipads....

Sweet. It's been a long time coming. I was worried it was a goner.

Yeah, unfortunately looks like there's a problem with audiobus 3 on this update, can't get any sound to come through

Just heard back from Giel Bremmers and confirmed that MTS is not compatible with Audiobus 3 yet. Still on 2.7 SDK

• @pichi said:
    The sound goes back to default in Phasemaker and Troublemaker too. I didn't check your other apps.

Troublemaker too? That's puzzling. It doesn't have its own preset manager so if TM doesn't restore state correctly then chances are pretty big it's an issue in MTS (especially considering how solid TM works in all other AU hosts).

I'll look into it, but I have a suspicion it's something MTS is doing different than other hosts.

• So, at this point in history; good lightweight alternative or major player with its own advantages?

• @brambos said:

@pichi said:

Troublemaker too? That's puzzling. It doesn't have its own preset manager so if TM doesn't restore state correctly then chances are pretty big it's an issue in MTS (especially considering how solid TM works in all other AU hosts).

I'll look into it, but I have a suspicion it's something MTS is doing different than other hosts.

I checked out some more AUs and some others are also having the same problem. So it must be an MTS problem then.

• @pichi said:

I checked out some more AUs and some others are also having the same problem. So it must be an MTS problem then.

Thanks for checking and reporting back!

• Wanted to post back here because MTS did get a v2.8 update around the time of the iOS11 update (I've currently left my iPad on iOS10 b/c I did the upgrade on my phone and it's a slow buggy disaster, but I'm sure that will be sorted out in time).

One of the cool features here that I obviously have not tried is that it apparently lets you do file drag and drops for everything from .wav files in the sampler to Soundfonts. iOS11 was the first time Apple has even pretended to make a "file system" available, so if you have a bunch of saved content on the cloud or wherever, you could bring that into MTS more easily than the "Open In" feature.

Looks like some other commonsense improvements were made to the editors, and things like long pressing the instrument selector on the drum editor.

I never really got to be a "power user" of MTS, but it probably remains my favorite overall DAW of the "big three" I have used (along with Auria Pro and Cubasis). I just find I spend less time troubleshooting with MTS and that is really appreciated given how limited my time is for music stuff.

• Just saw this is incoming :)
    Copied below from forum:

Version 2.9 supports patterns in MIDI tracks.

This is what it looks like:

A pattern is a small piece of MIDI music. It typically has a size that makes sense in musical terms (eg. a bar, two bars, or even a verse). The most important feature of the pattern editing concept is that there can be multiple instances of a pattern, and changing the pattern will change all instances. For example: you can change a pattern-based track's drum beat by changing just a few notes.

A plain MIDI track editor's MORE menu has an Enable Patterns options which turns the track into a pattern track. Alternatively, you can use the Add Track menu's Add MIDI Track option to create a new pattern-enabled MIDI track. A pattern-enabled MIDI track features a Pattern Bar above the track's MIDI editor.

To create a new pattern click the PATTERN button and choose New Pattern. If something is selected in the track editor the new pattern will match this area, and any selected notes will be moved to the new pattern. If nothing is selected a new pattern will be created at the current transport position. The PATTERN button also provides access to preset patterns. Clicking one adds it at the current transport position. Alternatively you can drag-and-drop presets to the Pattern Bar. You can create your own preset patterns using the Pattern Editor (see below).

Tip: you can create a new pattern by dropping MIDI or audio on the Pattern Bar.

You can press the Pattern Bar for a second and choose 'Add copy' to add a new instance of the selected pattern(s). Copy-and-paste or 'Repeat' create new instances too.

All editor buttons (Edit, Delete, Copy, Paste etc.) work as expected when one or more patterns are selected in the Pattern Bar. The track editor can be used as if it's an ordinary MIDI track. If a note that belongs to a pattern is modified the modifications will be remembered and they'll be applied again if the pattern itself is changed using the Pattern Editor. This works in an additive manner: the offsets will be added to the note's position, duration, pitch and velocity.

When a pattern is selected the EDIT button will invoke the Pattern Editor, which can be used to edit a pattern. Any edits will be applied to the track immediately. You can use the Play button to cycle the pattern, so you can hear the result of your edits immediately.

This is the Pattern Editor:
    http://www.multitrackstudio.com/multitrackstudio_ipad_patterneditor.png

The Name box contains the name of the pattern. All instances of the pattern share the same name. The 'Pattern Size' bar determines the size of the pattern as it will appear in the track's editor. 'Instance Transpose' can be used to transpose this instance by a number of semitones. If, for example, the pattern is in C, you can use this feature to transpose a couple of instances to F or G. Using Options button you can set the color of the pattern (applies to all instances) 'Clone' creates a new Pattern that is identical to this one. All other instances of the original pattern will remain untouched if you edit this one. 'Reset events for this instance' clears all changes that have been made to this instance's events using the track editor.

Giel Bremmers

• Great news. I just rediscovered MTS a few days ago and have been digging into it, and I'm amazed with how well it does things. Midi editing is particularly well thought out. I'm sure the pattern system will be just the same.

• Pretty epic update... I'll finally be able to put all of those Groove Monkee midi drum patterns I bought to good use.

• The 2.9 update is now live, by the way.

• edited November 2017

One tasty thing to note here about the Pattern editor is that you can drop an audio file on it to create your midi template/preset

• @Littlewoodg said:
    One tasty thing to note here about the Pattern editor is that you can drop an audio file on it to create your midi template/preset

This sounds very interesting. Could you elaborate a little more? I'm not sure if you mean it creates midi from the audio for you, or maybe the audio waveform shows up in the pattern editor so you can easily drops notes/beats where you want by lining them up with the waveform view. Maybe you mean something else entirely?

• edited November 2017

The first option- MTS does this with regular audio and midi tracks and now as patterns: copy paste audio into a midi track it creates the midi for you. I like your other idea though-
    (That is possible once the app turns your audio into midi: you can line up events on another track superimposed on that midi track in the Multi Midi Editor)

• @Littlewoodg I think I will need to check MTS out; it sounds cool. Audio to midi conversion is pretty bad usually, judging from my past experiments with it, but I am always willing to try a new method. Thanks for the heads up on this MTS feature. :)

• edited November 2017

@CracklePot said:
    @Littlewoodg I think I will need to check MTS out; it sounds cool. Audio to midi conversion is pretty bad usually, judging from my past experiments with it, but I am always willing to try a new method. Thanks for the heads up on this MTS feature. :)

No thanks needed. MTS is a favorite, I use it on desktop and surface pro also.
    My use case for the conversions in MTS usually goes the other way, dragging instrument midi chunks to audio tracks to render. I'll be doing the audio to midi route a bit more now, it seems

Edit: the audio to midi conversion is slick definitely some funny games can be played creating patterns from audio imports of both melodic and rhythm clips.

• edited November 2017

Great catch, @Carnbot , thanks for posting!

The Pattern Editor is one of the more interesting changes to MTS in some time, I think. Maybe going back to something like Matrix Sampler being added (for free, by the way!). Haven't tried this yet, but it has the potential to make MTS just a little more Ableton/Cubasis-like, if you want it to be. The MIDI editing capabilities in MTS are very robust and it was already possible to program all this stuff. But working with longer tracks was kind of a pain because something like a drum loop or bassline may just repeat over and over with a few variations, yet it displays in MTS like a continuous stream of MIDI notes, versus a 1- or 2-bar block that can be dropped into place. Very cool.

I read the Giel's copied description from above, but I'm still not clear - are the patterns just something saved within a project/track? Or if you create a pattern does it become available universally in the app for use in other projects. Sounds like it's the former, and I'm not sure I want or would use the latter, anyway.

Pattern transposition could be a killer tool with this thing. You could imagine a bassline or complicated synth arpeggio, run it for a few bars, then step down from +7 to +5 and back to 0 semitones and that would probably be much easier than lassoing and moving the notes with the existing tools.

As for audio-to-MIDI, that's one of the cool older features that MTS offered. I recall it being mostly monophonic, and it worked better than you might expect, though probably not reliably enough to depend on as a go-to method for composing music.

• edited November 2017

@StormJH1 the Patterns are saved across projects.

the way the polyphony of a drum kit clip is handled is interesting and effective: MTS detects then assigns each piece in the kit as a different note on the piano roll, (based I guess on listening to tonal differences among kicks hats snares etc.).

Note per drum is also how the drum notation option is set up in the drum midi editor. Using the drum editor, it turns out to be pretty easy to (in one operation) assign all the hits/events of each drum or perc in the original clip to the sample, drum or perc instrument you want in your kit, by using the aptly named "Drum Instrument Selector".

Short answer polyphony is definitely in play for converting all the parts of a multi-timbral beat, then assigning them to the sounds you want.

• Has anyone really jumped into using MTS with hardware synths in great deal? Are there options for setting up control changes (CC's) or do you have to do that as part of that automated graph thing.

I always found myself investing in apps like ModStep, ProMidi looking for a sequencer and controller to work with external synths. In particular, some synths like the Korg Volca and Roland Boutique series have "hidden" features that can only be accessed by MIDI, while others still (like the Ploytec PL2) are basically just little modules that are completely dependent on sequencing and controls from an external device.

I always found myself coming back to MTS (or sometimes Cubasis) for the MIDI sequencing, no matter how many MIDI-specific apps I bought. But I wonder if there is an opportunity to expand MTS even further in this area. The "no-BS" U.I. of MTS would be ideal for a series of assignable knobs. Assuming you could save that as a preset or template, you'd have a full suite of MIDI sequencing and external synth control in the confines of an already great DAW.

(Note: Can you not edit the titles of threads anymore? I seem to have forgotten how to do that, and wanted to update that there actually was a small update on 1/1/2018.)

• Is there any video showing how to do time warping (using markers) for some part of the audio track in MultiTrackStudio?