Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

List of apps currently working reliably within Audiobus on IOS8

I thought it would be good to have a comprehensive list of apps that currently work reliably on IOS8. If all of you folks who are using IOS8 at present could name all of the apps you're having a smooth sail with I'm happy to keep updating this list. It would be good for people stuck on IOS7 to check whether the apps they're using are go so they can feel confident updating.

N.B. This is not IOS8 but Audiobus on IOS8 compatibility list.

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2014

Great idea. I am finding a steady degrading of 7 apps. I think this is likely just a rash of the normal-type problems I would typically wrestle with without too much ulterior thought, but now I have 8 to blame....

• xenxen
    edited October 2014

I'm getting confused. We seem to have the following situations:

1. I've upgraded to iOS 8 and

a) some of my apps don't work because they haven't been updated

b) some of my apps don't work with Audiobus for some reason I don't understand (AB update out today may help here)

1. I've stayed on iOS 7 and

a) some of my apps don't work because they have been updated and I should have stayed on the old version

b) I'm not updating anything, if it ain't broke don't fix it

c) I will update, once things settle down and my favourite synths have been updated (iMini for example, hint hint ! )

Btw, I'm all for these lists.. They are really useful.. Problem is we have quite a few threads which all seem to cover slightly different cases. Any chance of a sticky at the top of the site which simply lists app- iOS8 y/n- iOS7 y/n- both y/n?

• edited October 2014

The AB list shows all the compatible apps doesn't it? Should be the most comprehensive and up-to-date database. http://audiob.us/apps/

Edit: Doesn't mean they are reliable though I suppose, as per the OP.

• Exactly @xen this is why I decided to start this thread. Personally I quite honestly don't care whether apps work on ios8, IAA or both. I absolutely need them to work on Audiobus as for me AB presets and state saving make it a much better option than IAA. And if this is predominantly an AB forum we should have a AB specific forum we really should have a dedicated thread regarding AB IOS8 reliable compatibility. I don't think @Sebastian or @Michael can provide us with that info, that's is definitely user sharing real life experiences situation since we've suddenly became beta testers on the IOS 8 playground (well not me personally).

So whether Sebastian pins this thread or creates one specific for this I think it would be very useful for this community, especially for those who use Audiobus while performing but also for those stuck on the 7.

• Wow, didn't realize things were that bad. So basically no apps are currently working reliably within audiobus on IOS8?

• I actually haven't had problems using the available Audiobus apps going thru AB effects into my chosen AB DAW. (I use N-Track) My problem is more not having go-to apps in the AB pipeline yet because they're not updated yet. JamUp was updated but not in the AB current list (last time I checked) so I don't use it yet. My IPad4 has apps that show in the avalibility windows all working ok (in, fx, & out).

• I could cut and paste everything from http://audiob.us/ios8/ ;)

To be fair its pretty hard to do a 100% good diagnosis. I have some issues with some apps, but can't tell if that's the app, the audiobus gremlins (version upgrade last night) or the OS or whether they would have the same issues on iOS7 (pre or post latest version)..

It would take some pretty rigorous testing with a few different setups to make me happy to say here "they work perfectly" - chances are some user will find some function / workflow / setup which doesn't work perfectly, but it essential for them and so what is reliable for me might not be for them!

All the apps on the iOS 8 page (that I have) work. Audiobus had been a bit off - but there was an version fix last night. It'll take more weeks of trying app combinations to see if everything is fine for what I do

I have been using Cubasis, Auria, Tera, Z3ta, SPA, Effectrix, Altispace, iMPCPro, Gadget, Audioshare, Audiobus, Sector, Tonestack, Mitosynth, Alchemy (but it saps CPU), iSEM, AUFXs

• Jamup does work in AB under iOS8, but it does need some polishing. You have to start it before starting AB for it to appear in the input/effect/output lists.

Inside JU, The AB strip is there on the LH side and it does work, but it will not come back once hidden. There's another AB icon on the RH side that will allow you to switch to AB though.

• Ok, cool guys. I'm going to leave it for now because it seems like there's plenty of bugginess still. I think I wanted that list because I have a reasonably narrow range of apps that I use in my set up and wanted to track the progress of the transition and hoped others would be as interested as myself. Saying that, I'm happily perched where I am so no sweat. If this thread gets dusted off at some point it will probably mean things are back to a (better) normal. Peace.

• Hey Supadom, I'm on iOS 8.02, iPad Air. I'm happy to try out any combination of apps in AB if I own them. I did a small amount of work recording ifretless bass, sax and guitar, Galileo, DrumPerfect and Thumbjam into Loopy and it all seemed fine. Would love a way to have a midi bindings control over the whole volume level of Loopy though.

• Cool @Fitz thanks, that would be great.

Audiobus preset 'IOS8 Test': http://preset.audiob.us/hnXug03qZzpJA7D

I removed samplr from it because it hasn't been updated yet.

• Ah shit, sorry man. This is the right one.

Audiobus preset 'IOS8 Test': http://preset.audiob.us/NaRMZKvG4AGG82q

• The problem with things like this that many people use software in different ways. I could say app A is working great in my own audio workflow, but than someone else may come along who's using it in a MIDI environment and it's all broken...there are so many variables...

• Not really. I'm not asking about anything more than if an app does what it's supposed to in AB within IOS8 environment I.e. Plug in, make sound, stay in place (not go to sleep) when other apps are plugged in. Just as it used to work on IOS7. That's all.

Audiobus does not have anything to do with midi.

• Just a quick test. I don't have Effectrix, but given I have Turnado I can get it and Wow for £14 so...
    All seems fine, after a hard reset, except Magellan which has port unavailable. Will try and see if it's a memory thing, ie take an app out and see what happens.

• Magellan does the same thing on ios7. For some reason. It says its unavailable but works as an effect unit. When I replug it though is also works as a synth.

• Now have Effectrix and everything seems fine so far. Will have a little play when I work out Effectrix more.

• AmpKit just released an update for iOS 8. The release notes said that the Audiobus update would be in the next release. How does that make sense? Why wouldn't both updates be released at the same time?

• edited October 2014

What's going on with ik multimedia apps? I'm waiting for Vocalive.

Edit: and iGrand

• AmpliTube was just updated....

• @Macao95 said:

What's going on with ik multimedia apps? I'm waiting for Vocalive.

Edit: and iGrand

There's a post on the IK forums basically saying that they're moving as fast as they can and will release updates for their when they're ready. That post was from October 5th.