Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Begin playback while recording?

I’ve been gassing for some silly hardware that will continue recording while beginning to play earlier parts of the recording. I don’t think it’s a standard feature, but I’m thinking it might be possible with two clips (and potentially more for extra fun) by having a button that stops one clip recording as it starts another, and begins playback of the first… is this possible? I’m guessing different colour groups and using those as the target for a button element…I’m still not great at using loopy tbh, really not finding it easy to learn but hopefully this little project might learn me enough to keep going…

Comments

  • @Krupa said:
    I’ve been gassing for some silly hardware that will continue recording while beginning to play earlier parts of the recording. I don’t think it’s a standard feature, but I’m thinking it might be possible with two clips (and potentially more for extra fun) by having a button that stops one clip recording as it starts another, and begins playback of the first… is this possible? I’m guessing different colour groups and using those as the target for a button element…I’m still not great at using loopy tbh, really not finding it easy to learn but hopefully this little project might learn me enough to keep going…

    You would do this as a series of clips since a clip's playhead and record are always in the same spot. There are many ways to do this. The best way depends on details you haven't mentioned...such as when you want playback to start. after you started recording and how long the process should go on. Also, do you want to end up with one clip that has all the audio or is it ok to have the audio captured in a series of clips?

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @Krupa said:
    I’ve been gassing for some silly hardware that will continue recording while beginning to play earlier parts of the recording. I don’t think it’s a standard feature, but I’m thinking it might be possible with two clips (and potentially more for extra fun) by having a button that stops one clip recording as it starts another, and begins playback of the first… is this possible? I’m guessing different colour groups and using those as the target for a button element…I’m still not great at using loopy tbh, really not finding it easy to learn but hopefully this little project might learn me enough to keep going…

    You would do this as a series of clips since a clip's playhead and record are always in the same spot. There are many ways to do this. The best way depends on details you haven't mentioned...such as when you want playback to start. after you started recording and how long the process should go on. Also, do you want to end up with one clip that has all the audio or is it ok to have the audio captured in a series of clips?

    Ahh cheers Ed, good questions.

    A. Start either on a button press or a pedal / CC signal
    B. Not sure how long, maybe wither into another button/signal happens, or maybe to a set length in some circumstances…
    C. I presumed you’d have to end up with a series of clips, but if there’s a way to concatenate then it might be interesting, though I’d be thinking to have FX etc and maybe stems would be better. I guess just another channel monitoring and always recording would do the concatenation…

    Mainly just a starting point would be great, the basic thing of keeping recording while earlier would is starting to play back, then I could expand on that with reverse buttons, FX routing, looping etc…

  • @Krupa : do you understand loopy enough to set up

    • a button to select the first clip
    • a button with these actions: record selected clip, select next

    If you do, that will end up sequentially recording clips. if you set the options for each clip to Play Once then when you start a new clip recording the previous will play once.

    There are other ways to go about it, but what i just mentioned is a quick way to start.

    A more complicated way would be to enable simultaneous recording and you could start one clip recording and start a process that periodically retrospectively captures and plays the last x bars of audio and play back. that would give you one continuous recording and one clip that is playing back the previous x bars.

    You mentioned having trouble getting started with Loopy Pro, please ask questions as they come up. Often, the answer to a few focused questions gets people on-track. Because Loopy is deep people sometimes get lost trying to understand everything rather than the individual steps on the path. Sometimes those first individual steps are the keys to unlocking understanding.

  • @espiegel123 said:
    @Krupa : do you understand loopy enough to set up

    • a button to select the first clip
    • a button with these actions: record selected clip, select next

    If you do, that will end up sequentially recording clips. if you set the options for each clip to Play Once then when you start a new clip recording the previous will play once.

    There are other ways to go about it, but what i just mentioned is a quick way to start.

    A more complicated way would be to enable simultaneous recording and you could start one clip recording and start a process that periodically retrospectively captures and plays the last x bars of audio and play back. that would give you one continuous recording and one clip that is playing back the previous x bars.

    You mentioned having trouble getting started with Loopy Pro, please ask questions as they come up. Often, the answer to a few focused questions gets people on-track. Because Loopy is deep people sometimes get lost trying to understand everything rather than the individual steps on the path. Sometimes those first individual steps are the keys to unlocking understanding.

    Cheers Ed, those pointers are probably the ‘learning to fish’ I need… 🙏

  • @Krupa : start with three first method I mentioned and if you get stuck post screenshots of your actions and settings.

    Tip: even if you will trigger something with midi, it is a good idea to implement the actions in a widget as editing is quicker and it is easy to test. Then midi learn the widget when the touch before is what you want.

  • @espiegel123 said:
    @Krupa : start with three first method I mentioned and if you get stuck post screenshots of your actions and settings.

    Tip: even if you will trigger something with midi, it is a good idea to implement the actions in a widget as editing is quicker and it is easy to test. Then midi learn the widget when the touch before is what you want.

    👍🙏

  • @espiegel123 said:
    @Krupa : start with three first method I mentioned and if you get stuck post screenshots of your actions and settings.

    Tip: even if you will trigger something with midi, it is a good idea to implement the actions in a widget as editing is quicker and it is easy to test. Then midi learn the widget when the touch before is what you want.

    Thanks Ed. You always help more people than just the one guy you respond to. Much appreciated.

  • @espiegel123 said:
    @Krupa : start with three first method I mentioned and if you get stuck post screenshots of your actions and settings.

    Tip: even if you will trigger something with midi, it is a good idea to implement the actions in a widget as editing is quicker and it is easy to test. Then midi learn the widget when the touch before is what you want.

    Cheers Ed, I did get it going, next to figure out what settings to use so that it doesn’t lock the second clip’s length to the first one’s. I turned off a few in the global settings but it still seems to conform…

  • @Krupa said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    @Krupa : start with three first method I mentioned and if you get stuck post screenshots of your actions and settings.

    Tip: even if you will trigger something with midi, it is a good idea to implement the actions in a widget as editing is quicker and it is easy to test. Then midi learn the widget when the touch before is what you want.

    Cheers Ed, I did get it going, next to figure out what settings to use so that it doesn’t lock the second clip’s length to the first one’s. I turned off a few in the global settings but it still seems to conform…

    if you post screen shots of all the actions you have set up and all settings, I can help you work through what you need. also, please describe step-by-step how you want it to work

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @Krupa said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    @Krupa : start with three first method I mentioned and if you get stuck post screenshots of your actions and settings.

    Tip: even if you will trigger something with midi, it is a good idea to implement the actions in a widget as editing is quicker and it is easy to test. Then midi learn the widget when the touch before is what you want.

    Cheers Ed, I did get it going, next to figure out what settings to use so that it doesn’t lock the second clip’s length to the first one’s. I turned off a few in the global settings but it still seems to conform…

    if you post screen shots of all the actions you have set up and all settings, I can help you work through what you need. also, please describe step-by-step how you want it to work

    I think I may have solved it with a setting in the record button, definitely finding my feet now I’ve got a purpose, cheers Ed 🙏

Sign In or Register to comment.