Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - June 2024

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

«1

Comments

  • edited June 3

    My entry for the month, a mashup of ambient, indie, and post-rock created in collaboration with the genius that is @JanKun - lyrics in the spoiler:

    Small steps, one by one
    Until my walk turns to a run
    If you were
    Here with me
    In this dream that feels so real

    I can see the setting sun
    Through the clouds the colours run
    The cool breeze says
    That night has come
    Nocturnal voices sing their song

    You fall, keep falling
    I call, keep calling

    Cold sweat, I'm overcome
    My heart beat is beating like a drum
    Lost here
    On my own
    In this dream I turn to stone

    I can see the setting sun
    Through the clouds the colours run
    The cool breeze says
    That night has come
    Nocturnal voices sing their song

    You fall, keep falling
    I call, keep calling

  • @richardyot

    This is a real awesome piece of work, a departure from a lot of what I became more used to from your sound, you’ve taken something, (and with Jankun ofc 😉 ) you’ve elevated the field noise genre with this beautiful song. I personally think it’s one of your best I’ve ever heard. There are so many sonic dimensions that I don’t want to make them mundane but you have great synths, great drums, great guitars, usual great vocals, harmonies , all the little guitar enhancements and layers, and such great blend with the field sounds. I absolutely love it. Props to you both. This is one of the best collaborations I saw, and it’s what makes SOTMC, especially the usuals ;) , so awesome. A++

  • @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, a mashup of ambient, indie, and post-rock created in collaboration with the genius that is @JanKun - lyrics in the spoiler:

    Small steps, one by one
    Until my walk turns to a run
    If you were
    Here with me
    In this dream that feels so real

    I can see the setting sun
    Through the clouds the colours run
    The cool breeze says
    That night has come
    Nocturnal voices sing their song

    You fall, keep falling
    I call, keep calling

    Cold sweat, I'm overcome
    My heart beat is beating like a drum
    Lost here
    On my own
    In this dream I turn to stone

    I can see the setting sun
    Through the clouds the colours run
    The cool breeze says
    That night has come
    Nocturnal voices sing their song

    You fall, keep falling
    I call, keep calling

    I like the slow build up to this and the way the music at the end seems to slightly 'spiral into madness' at the end before returning to peace which compliments/mirrors the feeling of the lyrics so well.

  • @yellow_eyez said:
    @richardyot

    This is a real awesome piece of work, a departure from a lot of what I became more used to from your sound, you’ve taken something, (and with Jankun ofc 😉 ) you’ve elevated the field noise genre with this beautiful song. I personally think it’s one of your best I’ve ever heard. There are so many sonic dimensions that I don’t want to make them mundane but you have great synths, great drums, great guitars, usual great vocals, harmonies , all the little guitar enhancements and layers, and such great blend with the field sounds. I absolutely love it. Props to you both. This is one of the best collaborations I saw, and it’s what makes SOTMC, especially the usuals ;) , so awesome. A++

    @deadpoetlive said:
    I like the slow build up to this and the way the music at the end seems to slightly 'spiral into madness' at the end before returning to peace which compliments/mirrors the feeling of the lyrics so well.

    Thanks to you both for listening and commenting. It's been good to create something out of my comfort zone. Jankun gently nudged me to push myself a bit harder, which was what led to the genesis of this track, and his additions and suggestions then took the whole thing to another level.

  • Ok, so this is my first ever piece as at nearly 60 I have only recently discovered iPad music. My style is currently experimental as I don't know what I am doing yet!

    I've spent the last few months downloading lots of apps and then discovering they are not as easy to use/play well together, as they look on the sound test room! :-)

    Having fun with AUM though and have just discovered I can record a bit and then put it in file player on loop which is fun to build up layers.

    This is an unedited screen recording* of an AUM session, I discovered the little Rymdigare story afterwards, it seems to fit the music. Recording levels seem a bit low and I pressed too hard on my key step at one point....but I will discover editing later.

    *Have to find a more efficient way of recording - 1.7GB before trimming and changing to 720p in iMovie to upload to YouTube.

  • @richardyot @JanKun Seriously excellent work guys. :) Definitely sounds and feels like a proper Post Punk tune. ❤️ Richard, you and I definitely need to collab again. :) JanKun same offer. Any beat-based genre. (Tbqh Richard you're the reason I got (back into) TripHop last year, especially The Crystal Method.)


    @deadpoetlive

    This was so serene and calming. :) Love how it flowed. Man back during my Ambient days, I used to go nuts with Rymdigare and make it go wild. 😅 So it's great to hear it being used much more subtly here. (I'm not the same Ambient producer I once was, but I do like to still listen to the genre when the mood strikes).


    Gonna post mine sometime this week. Got the instrumental finished, lyrics written, and now it's only a matter of me lighting a fire under my butt to record my subpar vocals and process them until they sound decent. 🤣

  • @deadpoetlive said:
    Ok, so this is my first ever piece as at nearly 60 I have only recently discovered iPad music. My style is currently experimental as I don't know what I am doing yet!

    I've spent the last few months downloading lots of apps and then discovering they are not as easy to use/play well together, as they look on the sound test room! :-)

    Having fun with AUM though and have just discovered I can record a bit and then put it in file player on loop which is fun to build up layers.

    This is an unedited screen recording* of an AUM session, I discovered the little Rymdigare story afterwards, it seems to fit the music. Recording levels seem a bit low and I pressed too hard on my key step at one point....but I will discover editing later.

    *Have to find a more efficient way of recording - 1.7GB before trimming and changing to 720p in iMovie to upload to YouTube.

    Very nice evolving ambient piece, the percussion provides a lovely textural bed for the track to build on, and the pads are majestic when they eventually come in.

    The ending is also nicely done, and surprised me, once the percussion drops out and those Vangelis-like keys play out the track.

  • @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @richardyot @JanKun Seriously excellent work guys. :) Definitely sounds and feels like a proper Post Punk tune. ❤️ Richard, you and I definitely need to collab again. :) JanKun same offer. Any beat-based genre. (Tbqh Richard you're the reason I got (back into) TripHop last year, especially The Crystal Method.)


    @deadpoetlive

    This was so serene and calming. :) Love how it flowed. Man back during my Ambient days, I used to go nuts with Rymdigare and make it go wild. 😅 So it's great to hear it being used much more subtly here. (I'm not the same Ambient producer I once was, but I do like to still listen to the genre when the mood strikes).


    Gonna post mine sometime this week. Got the instrumental finished, lyrics written, and now it's only a matter of me lighting a fire under my butt to record my subpar vocals and process them until they sound decent. 🤣

    Welcome to the club, looking forward to hearing your entry B)

  • @richardyot said:

    @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @richardyot @JanKun Seriously excellent work guys. :) Definitely sounds and feels like a proper Post Punk tune. ❤️ Richard, you and I definitely need to collab again. :) JanKun same offer. Any beat-based genre. (Tbqh Richard you're the reason I got (back into) TripHop last year, especially The Crystal Method.)


    @deadpoetlive

    This was so serene and calming. :) Love how it flowed. Man back during my Ambient days, I used to go nuts with Rymdigare and make it go wild. 😅 So it's great to hear it being used much more subtly here. (I'm not the same Ambient producer I once was, but I do like to still listen to the genre when the mood strikes).


    Gonna post mine sometime this week. Got the instrumental finished, lyrics written, and now it's only a matter of me lighting a fire under my butt to record my subpar vocals and process them until they sound decent. 🤣

    Welcome to the club, looking forward to hearing your entry B)

    Cheers mate. :) It's going to be a tribute piece, paying homage to Sash!, so expect late 90s Eurodance lol. (Frontman Sascha's birthday is a week from now, so it also doubles as a birthday gift lol.)

  • edited June 12

    @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, a mashup of ambient, indie, and post-rock created in collaboration with the genius that is @JanKun - lyrics in the spoiler:

    I think this is my favourite of your collaborations with @JanKun. It's nicely paced and has a memorable chorus, with the "You fall, keep falling; I call, keep calling" section being really catchy with really nicely judged backing vocals which add harmony and texture. I also really like the discordant guitars in the outro. Great stuff. SOTMC is off to a really strong start.

  • @klownshed said:

    @richardyot said:
    What is the Song of the Month Club?

    It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

    The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

    The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow.

    All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

    We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

    And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

    I think this is my favourite of your collaborations with @JanKun. It's nicely paced and has a memorable chorus, with the "You fall, keep falling; I call, keep calling" section being really catchy with really nicely judged backing vocals which add harmony and texture. I also really like the discordant guitars in the outro. Great stuff. SOTMC is off to a really strong start.

    Thanks, and yes Jankun's backing vocals and guitar parts really added a whole new dimension to the song.

  • To give regular contributors to SOTM Club a break from my stumbling piano playing, here is a song written and recorded entirely on the iPad using Logic’s new session players. I did post this song as a separate post in “Creations” but it would be great to get some more feedback.

    I found that the accompaniment provided by the keyboard player helped to push my vocal melody in ways I might not have thought of - so that was a real positive. I swapped out the standard Logic Pro piano for Pianoteq. I love the way that the session player’s engine can control an AUv3, and the more or less limitless flexibility to get the session player to play something that works in the context of the song. Ultimately, you can convert session player regions to MIDI to edit on a note by note basis if required.

  • @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, a mashup of ambient, indie, and post-rock created in collaboration with the genius that is @JanKun - lyrics in the spoiler:

    Small steps, one by one
    Until my walk turns to a run
    If you were
    Here with me
    In this dream that feels so real

    I can see the setting sun
    Through the clouds the colours run
    The cool breeze says
    That night has come
    Nocturnal voices sing their song

    You fall, keep falling
    I call, keep calling

    Cold sweat, I'm overcome
    My heart beat is beating like a drum
    Lost here
    On my own
    In this dream I turn to stone

    I can see the setting sun
    Through the clouds the colours run
    The cool breeze says
    That night has come
    Nocturnal voices sing their song

    You fall, keep falling
    I call, keep calling

    I’m getting Pink Floyd / Gilmour-esq vocal delivery here - I can just imagine DG standing on top of a huge wall playing this in front of a packed Wembley Stadium! Hairs on the back of the neck stuff. Seriously excellent listen, and one of the very best of yours (and @JanKun ’s) I have heard. Brilliant

  • @deadpoetlive said:
    Ok, so this is my first ever piece as at nearly 60 I have only recently discovered iPad music. My style is currently experimental as I don't know what I am doing yet!

    I've spent the last few months downloading lots of apps and then discovering they are not as easy to use/play well together, as they look on the sound test room! :-)

    Having fun with AUM though and have just discovered I can record a bit and then put it in file player on loop which is fun to build up layers.

    This is an unedited screen recording* of an AUM session, I discovered the little Rymdigare story afterwards, it seems to fit the music. Recording levels seem a bit low and I pressed too hard on my key step at one point....but I will discover editing later.

    *Have to find a more efficient way of recording - 1.7GB before trimming and changing to 720p in iMovie to upload to YouTube.

    Well if you’re new to all this, it doesn’t show. Lovely peaceful listen -and it’s great you did the screen recording too. iOS music making is a huge amount of fun and I look forward to hearing more of your pieces in the months ahead.

  • @BillS said:
    To give regular contributors to SOTM Club a break from my stumbling piano playing, here is a song written and recorded entirely on the iPad using Logic’s new session players. I did post this song as a separate post in “Creations” but it would be great to get some more feedback.

    I found that the accompaniment provided by the keyboard player helped to push my vocal melody in ways I might not have thought of - so that was a real positive. I swapped out the standard Logic Pro piano for Pianoteq. I love the way that the session player’s engine can control an AUv3, and the more or less limitless flexibility to get the session player to play something that works in the context of the song. Ultimately, you can convert session player regions to MIDI to edit on a note by note basis if required.

    The upbeat tempo is great, and contrasts quite nicely with the bittersweet lyrics. Good job coaxing a great performance from those session players! It's totally seamless and they work perfectly with the track, and it's a great way to flesh out an idea into a completed arrangement.

    The vocals delivery is excellent as usual, and the mix is crystal-clear.

  • edited June 3

    @richardyot amazing track, I'd say the best I've heard from you (and @JanKun ). The intro is great, especially the tribal scream ( :p ), the chorus is very catchy and the guitars are great. Amazing wall of sound at the end 👍

    @deadpoetlive I love Rymdigare so I can't say anything bad about your track lol. Jokes apart, nice job! My kind of music and I appreciate your style. If it was me, I would have added a bit more variations throughout the whole track but being minimal also works. Nice!

    @BillS I like your voice and how you sing but I need to say I liked more the tracks where you were playing the piano instead of Logic Pro :p The drums and the bass are nice but I find the piano a bit too obvious. I can see why it's useful for you to focus on the singing though.

  • @BillS said:
    To give regular contributors to SOTM Club a break from my stumbling piano playing, here is a song written and recorded entirely on the iPad using Logic’s new session players. I did post this song as a separate post in “Creations” but it would be great to get some more feedback.

    I found that the accompaniment provided by the keyboard player helped to push my vocal melody in ways I might not have thought of - so that was a real positive. I swapped out the standard Logic Pro piano for Pianoteq. I love the way that the session player’s engine can control an AUv3, and the more or less limitless flexibility to get the session player to play something that works in the context of the song. Ultimately, you can convert session player regions to MIDI to edit on a note by note basis if required.

    "To give regular contributors to SOTM Club a break from my stumbling piano playing" ....Boo!.....I like your piano playing esp April's entry.
    Saying that, the keyboard player is very good for what it is, even the drummer went a bit Cozy Powell...I'm still waiting for a sale for Pianoteq, the velocity dynamics are insanely feels.
    You are right, your voice came across more strongly with that 'backing track', I'd love to hear you push it even further, I've got a feeling the 'break point' (is that the right term :-/) will be quite special. :-)

  • This is a music track that I improvised on two MIDI keyboards connected to Bitwig Studio on a desktop PC. There the MIDI was routed to Jaeger for the singing voice; Solo for the flute, English horn, cello, and oboe; and Omnisphere for the other instruments.

    After bringing the audio recording into Vegas Pro, I applied the Lurssen Mastering Console plug-in to the audio mix.

    It's titled River Oaks.

  • @DavidEnglish said:
    This is a music track that I improvised on two MIDI keyboards connected to Bitwig Studio on a desktop PC. There the MIDI was routed to Jaeger for the singing voice; Solo for the flute, English horn, cello, and oboe; and Omnisphere for the other instruments.

    After bringing the audio recording into Vegas Pro, I applied the Lurssen Mastering Console plug-in to the audio mix.

    It's titled River Oaks.

    Dreams are entered, cushioning air surrounding angelic voices, memories sadness fading to float the spaces twixt earth and sky....

  • @unlink said:
    @richardyot amazing track, I'd say the best I've heard from you (and @JanKun ). The intro is great, especially the tribal scream ( :p ), the chorus is very catchy and the guitars are great. Amazing wall of sound at the end 👍

    @deadpoetlive I love Rymdigare so I can't say anything bad about your track lol. Jokes apart, nice job! My kind of music and I appreciate your style. If it was me, I would have added a bit more variations throughout the whole track but being minimal also works. Nice!

    @BillS I like your voice and how you sing but I need to say I liked more the tracks where you were playing the piano instead of Logic Pro :p The drums and the bass are nice but I find the piano a bit too obvious. I can see why it's useful for you to focus on the singing though.

    Yeah, I think you are right. I thought Bleep had more movement than it actually does listening back, I would probably add a few more sounds subtly floating in and out around the stereo field as well. I suspect a linear composition would be very different from one take..one hand keys, one hand iPad.....oh no.... I have to learn a DAW!!! Cheers :-)

  • @deadpoetlive said:

    Yeah, I think you are right. I thought Bleep had more movement than it actually does listening back, I would probably add a few more sounds subtly floating in and out around the stereo field as well. I suspect a linear composition would be very different from one take..one hand keys, one hand iPad.....oh no.... I have to learn a DAW!!! Cheers :-)

    Naah, you just need to improve your improvisation skills ;) But I'm a DAW man so I can't give advises about that, sorry lol

  • @DavidEnglish said:
    This is a music track that I improvised on two MIDI keyboards connected to Bitwig Studio on a desktop PC. There the MIDI was routed to Jaeger for the singing voice; Solo for the flute, English horn, cello, and oboe; and Omnisphere for the other instruments.

    After bringing the audio recording into Vegas Pro, I applied the Lurssen Mastering Console plug-in to the audio mix.

    It's titled River Oaks.

    I really liked the combination of the very low instruments and vocal part, they blended extremely well together. As usual you provide very deep tracks. I read in another post that you like improvising and most of your tracks come out of improvisation, have you ever though about giving a more defined structure to your tracks? Given the quality of your production the final output would be great! Just a thought :-)

  • This month I explored something a bit different and my tracks has some vocals. It's a famous Oppenheimer speech which I suppose is well known already. Nevertheless, the power in his voice and his words is so great that I had to build something around it. Hope you like it!

  • @unlink

    That was so cool, I liked it a lot. Very good work in capturing the sound with the samples. And I love the rhythmic stuff especially at the end. Nice.

    @DavidEnglish

    I like the piece as always. Nice and calm. I liked the brass I think particularly, or at least some wind that might be wood in high tenor. Cool vox too.

    @BillS

    Nice tune man. I like the vocals. Did you tell the keyboard player what to play, like what chords or did they make the progression and you added afterwards? I’m not familiar with the whole AI writing process. So pardon my question .

    @deadpoetlive

    That’s a cool song. I don’t use AUM and don’t know how it works so I always like to watch people using it well. You did that. It reminds me of the rain. I liked it a lot actually more than I expected from your write up. Keep it up.

  • @unlink said:
    This month I explored something a bit different and my tracks has some vocals. It's a famous Oppenheimer speech which I suppose is well known already. Nevertheless, the power in his voice and his words is so great that I had to build something around it. Hope you like it!

    I really enjoy your slow build ups, great choice of speech, makes a change from all the Alan Watts ones that loads of people do. You made it very musical but never took away from the power and impact of the words. Everything seems so perfectly at one with itself. Different but reminded me of the perfect soundtrack to the 1982 Bladerunner.

    Do you take a long time planning and constructing because the end result feels like a lot of thought has gone into it?

  • @deadpoetlive said:
    Do you take a long time planning and constructing because the end result feels like a lot of thought has gone into it?

    Not that much actually, the structure of my tracks is often the same. I spent more time researching an interesting sound for the pads at the beginning on the track and some time for the drums. I started a bit random with the speech and then I made adjustments, but it didn't take much.

  • @yellow_eyez I chose the key and chord progressions that run through the song, and added my vocals on top of those chords. Thank you for listening 👍

  • @DavidEnglish said:
    This is a music track that I improvised on two MIDI keyboards connected to Bitwig Studio on a desktop PC. There the MIDI was routed to Jaeger for the singing voice; Solo for the flute, English horn, cello, and oboe; and Omnisphere for the other instruments.

    After bringing the audio recording into Vegas Pro, I applied the Lurssen Mastering Console plug-in to the audio mix.

    It's titled River Oaks.

    Apt title, the piece feels like a slowly meandering river. Very peaceful and relaxing track.

  • @unlink said:
    This month I explored something a bit different and my tracks has some vocals. It's a famous Oppenheimer speech which I suppose is well known already. Nevertheless, the power in his voice and his words is so great that I had to build something around it. Hope you like it!

    The pads that slowly build up are a great backing to the spoken word, and they create an atmosphere of slow tension that develops nicely over the course of the speech. The sounds get noticeably darker and more discordant at the end which is a brilliant touch.

  • @unlink said:
    This month I explored something a bit different and my tracks has some vocals. It's a famous Oppenheimer speech which I suppose is well known already. Nevertheless, the power in his voice and his words is so great that I had to build something around it. Hope you like it!

    You have created a really atmospheric peice - poignant and eerie at the same time. The pads and the beat introduced later in the song complement the spoken word perfectly.

Sign In or Register to comment.