Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Bleass Monolit Challenge

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bleass-monolit/id1589410030

Okay, much like the Blamsoft app challenge from last week, I'm proposing a new challenge focused on another free plugin. This time, we'll be using a better-quality free mono synth than Viking. 😂

Anyways, here are the guidelines.

-You may use as many instances of Monolit as you please.

-Monolit is to be the only sound source. No drum samples, etc. (Psst, Monolit is capable of synthesising drums. ;) )

-Using your host's internal fx plugins are fine, such as if you need a compressor, an EQ, a limiter, a reverb, etc. No external plugins, except if you wish to use a loudness meter. You can use Youlean's Loudness Meter if your host doesn't include a Loudness Meter.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/youlean-loudness-meter-lite/id1565571860

(It's free. The IAP is for unlocking the graphs, but reading the numbers is good enough for monitoring loudness. ;) )

BFM is also allowed.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bfm-metering-suite/id6450574108

-The track can be any genre. The track should ideally be between one to six minutes in length, but you can make the track longer if you so desire (like if this is some epic long Ambient track or epic Trance track).

-Automation is definitely allowed (both for parameters in Monolit and internal effects parameters).

-At least one screenshot must be posted here to showcase your project. More than one screenshot is encouraged but not mandatory. If you wish to also do a video to upload to Youtube or cloud storage, that is also fine but not mandatory.

-The final result must be free to stream (or download). Ideally it should be uploaded to either Soundcloud or Youtube, or uploaded to cloud storage like Dropbox if you're a bit shy about uploading to a streaming platform.

-The soft deadline for the challenge is 8 June 2024 (so a little under a week and a half). I say "soft deadline" as I don't want you to feel pressured if you want to take a bit longer with the challenge.

-More than one entry per person is allowed, but as stated above - one mandatory screenshot and make the track freely available.

I'll be listening to everyone's tracks and will also will start working on mine tomorrow. Cheers and good luck to all participants. :mrgreen:

«13

Comments

  • Sounds like fun and this is a good series to challenge people.

    But the next challenge should mandate no effects (no reverb, echo, compression, eq... absolutely nothing). I'd really like to see how people adjust for the ultimate composing + mixing + mastering challenge. :)

  • @NeuM said:
    Sounds like fun and this is a good series to challenge people.

    But the next challenge should mandate no effects (no reverb, echo, compression, eq... absolutely nothing). I'd really like to see how people adjust for the ultimate composing + mixing + mastering challenge. :)

    Sounds like a fun idea. Maybe something which allows unlimited synth plugins but no effects (other than what is already built into the synth). A good idea indeed. I'll craft that challenge next week. ;)

  • @jwmmakerofmusic said:

    @NeuM said:
    Sounds like fun and this is a good series to challenge people.

    But the next challenge should mandate no effects (no reverb, echo, compression, eq... absolutely nothing). I'd really like to see how people adjust for the ultimate composing + mixing + mastering challenge. :)

    Sounds like a fun idea. Maybe something which allows unlimited synth plugins but no effects (other than what is already built into the synth). A good idea indeed. I'll craft that challenge next week. ;)

    Yeah! ;)

  • So I'll kick things off with my EDM track "The Monolith", done in NS2.





    As per my above instructions, I stuck to Monolit as my sole sound source, and I stuck to internal effects only for sound design and mixing. I did use Youlean's Loudness Meter on the master track briefly, but I removed it after I achieved my desired loudness level. I simply used NS2's internal limiter to bring the track to the loudness I sought.

    Monolit is very much capable of a whole variety of sounds (although my only nitpick is I wish I could tune the second oscillator in semitones to achieve fifths for the pluck sound). Monolit is very much capable of designing drums, basses, pads, leads, etc.

    As many NS2 diehards already know, NS2's internal effects are more than capable for not only mixing but sound design as well. Obsidian is also extremely capable of creating any sort of sound one can imagine, but that's for a different challenge perhaps. 🤔

    Anyways, looking forward to hearing your entries. Cheers. :mrgreen:

  • I’m in sir.
    I couldn’t get along with Viking at all but monolith is fun!

  • @reasOne said:
    I’m in sir.
    I couldn’t get along with Viking at all but monolith is fun!

    Exactly! Monolit is hella fun. :)

    ALSO, I forgot to mention - you can create your sounds from scratch and/or use presets. Just because I created my sounds from scratch doesn't mean you have to take that route. :) It's not "cheating" to use presets.

  • edited May 31

    I threw something together, but as with my entry for the last challenge, I got frustrated at not being able to just go with apps that I know have the sounds I wanted. I kept losing the musical flow while I was trying to make Monolit do all the sounds in my head. So much so, that I’ve just completely given up and won’t be doing any final automation or mixing etc. but at least I tried for a while lol

  • My only issue is that aum is my host and has no effects 🤣 i can’t make music without reverb and delay

  • Just to add to my comment above. I must admit I find Bleass Monolit much easier to deal with than Viking. Both are really decent and free mono synths, but the layout of Monolit makes it much easier to get around imo.

  • barely worked on the first one
    off to backlog a second one :lol:
    Monolit was itching to be used to be honest :tongue:

  • @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Just to add to my comment above. I must admit I find Bleass Monolit much easier to deal with than Viking. Both are really decent and free mono synths, but the layout of Monolit makes it much easier to get around imo.

    Dude digging your jam! I blasted it in my car and dig what you pulled off here especially with the limitations!

    I hated trying to make Viking sound good haha it was an instant buzz kill and i quit the challenge.,, especially in combination with those effects 😑🤢 but im feeling good about this synth!

  • @Fruitbat1919 That was excellent! :) Sounds great to me. And yes, Bleass are top notch at creating user-friendly UIs for their top-quality plugins.

    @reasOne Maybe I will allow Bleass' Reverb and Delay then, but only if your host of choice is AUM. :) Yeah, Viking was just a right proper pain to try and use even though it was easy for me to grok the interface. Monolit is far easier.

    @senhorlampada LOL! May as well skip to this challenge since, as stated by others, Monolit is easier to use than Viking synth. ;)

  • @reasOne said:

    @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Just to add to my comment above. I must admit I find Bleass Monolit much easier to deal with than Viking. Both are really decent and free mono synths, but the layout of Monolit makes it much easier to get around imo.

    Dude digging your jam! I blasted it in my car and dig what you pulled off here especially with the limitations!

    I hated trying to make Viking sound good haha it was an instant buzz kill and i quit the challenge.,, especially in combination with those effects 😑🤢 but im feeling good about this synth!

    Thanks. I definitely think Monolit is easier to make a wide variety of sounds with. I found Viking good for some sounds but not others. I wasn’t sure if it was just me though, as others seemed to get on really well with it! It’s like going back to my youth when I had a Jen sx1000 mono synth and a single drum synth pad were my only instruments lol

    I admit that I find that when reaching a certain stage on a an idea, I tend to give up anyway and start something else! Look forward to hearing your Monolit Challenge

  • @jwmmakerofmusic

    Toe tapping piece :) I will have to give it a proper listen later as only have my iPad on me and no headphones! That style really needs a bit more bass supporting speakers to hear it properly. You’ve managed well with the drums though.

    Did you enjoy this one more than the Viking?

  • @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    @Fruitbat1919 That was excellent! :) Sounds great to me. And yes, Bleass are top notch at creating user-friendly UIs for their top-quality plugins.

    @reasOne Maybe I will allow Bleass' Reverb and Delay then, but only if your host of choice is AUM. :) Yeah, Viking was just a right proper pain to try and use even though it was easy for me to grok the interface. Monolit is far easier.

    @senhorlampada LOL! May as well skip to this challenge since, as stated by others, Monolit is easier to use than Viking synth. ;)

    I accept your offer! Haha a one developer challenge. I can get by with bless delay n verb.

    Also nice jam! I missed it before.
    I also jmmed it in my car and it was bumping good!!
    We should create a thread with just the jams???

  • One day I was playing with the idea of one dev groovebox, throwing all Brambos apps into Drambo as a host.
    It got crowded :lol:

    Another one cool to do that is Humbletune / Erik Sigth

  • @senhorlampada said:
    One day I was playing with the idea of one dev groovebox, throwing all Brambos apps into Drambo as a host.
    It got crowded :lol:

    Another one cool to do that is Humbletune / Erik Sigth

    Heck yah! Id love to see bram create a groove box app to host his apps! He’s he great at Ui and making stuff look awesome and fun

  • We are off to an awesome start @jwmmakerofmusic and @Fruitbat1919
    Enjoying your tracks
    gotta listen to them again on proper headphones later :lol:
    my earbuds are crappy

  • I dont know how to explain this, but i'm having real issues shaping sound in this app.

    in-spite of this, I’ve somehow managed to start making a banger.

  • @squeals said:
    I dont know how to explain this, but i'm having real issues shaping sound in this app.

    in-spite of this, I’ve somehow managed to start making a banger.

    These may be of assistance (shameless plug) also FREE! 😎 https://payhip.com/b/QmsMB

  • @reasOne said:
    My only issue is that aum is my host and has no effects 🤣 i can’t make music without reverb and delay

    You know that you can buy a delay and reverb as in app purchases in AUM? They are very decent FX too. Plus there are a bunch of utility bits and pieces that are included in AUM like stereo processing/limiting etc.

  • @Mountain_Hamlet said:

    @reasOne said:
    My only issue is that aum is my host and has no effects 🤣 i can’t make music without reverb and delay

    You know that you can buy a delay and reverb as in app purchases in AUM? They are very decent FX too. Plus there are a bunch of utility bits and pieces that are included in AUM like stereo processing/limiting etc.

    I did not know that! 😳

  • edited June 1

    @jwmmakerofmusic said:

    @Mountain_Hamlet said:

    @reasOne said:
    My only issue is that aum is my host and has no effects 🤣 i can’t make music without reverb and delay

    You know that you can buy a delay and reverb as in app purchases in AUM? They are very decent FX too. Plus there are a bunch of utility bits and pieces that are included in AUM like stereo processing/limiting etc.

    I did not know that! 😳

    When you click on the FX + button and the list of options appears have a look at the bottom option. It’s the AUv3FX plug ins that are the ones of interest. If both Space and Dub and they are excellent for reverb and delay.

    Plus the filter, stereo processing and dynamics processing options near the top of the list that are built into the app.

  • Oh i have all those apps , totally forgot they are the same dev

  • Well I’ve already started with bleass effects 🤣

  • 4 Monolit’s all pushed through Velvet Machines
    MIDI Generated from 3 Riffler Flows and 1 AUM Keyboard

  • I hope more post a creation in this challenge… monolit is pretty useful and it’s free.

  • @taeo said:

    @squeals said:
    I dont know how to explain this, but i'm having real issues shaping sound in this app.

    in-spite of this, I’ve somehow managed to start making a banger.

    These may be of assistance (shameless plug) also FREE! 😎 https://payhip.com/b/QmsMB

    Cheers dude. One of your kicks sits better than what I had 👍

  • @taeo said:

    @squeals said:
    I dont know how to explain this, but i'm having real issues shaping sound in this app.

    in-spite of this, I’ve somehow managed to start making a banger.

    These may be of assistance (shameless plug) also FREE! 😎 https://payhip.com/b/QmsMB

    Digging these sounds man! Great work!

  • @reasOne said:
    Well I’ve already started with bleass effects 🤣

    This is really cool. I’m digging the sound of that percussion.

Sign In or Register to comment.