Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Selecting from multiple audio interfaces

I didn’t know iOS finally supported multiple audio interfaces with Logic

That is a huge deal

What are other hosts or DAW that do that because I know people have asked for years and how it’s available but it wasn’t common knowledge to me anyway

Are there any paid /license DAWs or hosts that allow for this now that iOS does it?

Thanks

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 20

@yellow_eyez said:
    I didn’t know iOS finally supported multiple audio interfaces with Logic

That is a huge deal

What are other hosts or DAW that do that because I know people have asked for years and how it’s available but it wasn’t common knowledge to me anyway

Are there any paid /license DAWs or hosts that allow for this now that iOS does it?

Thanks

I can't confirm it's true, but I've read that Apple hasn't made that functionality available to other developers. Anti-competitive practice IMO, if true.

• Is this part of a new iOS update? I thought that the problem was the OS wouldn't allow multiple interfaces at the same time.

• @tubespace said:
    Is this part of a new iOS update? I thought that the problem was the OS wouldn't allow multiple interfaces at the same time.

That’s what I thought but @wim is probably right, as I also suspected Apple might be doing that (throttling the iOS so other devs can’t use 2+ interfaces)

It’s worth the sub for that; finally concede that..but I would’ve bought it for $100 no question

• If apple allowed this across the board it would make a lot of those little things like the Roland J6 much more useful with iOS.

• wimwim
    edited May 21

@tubespace said:
    Is this part of a new iOS update? I thought that the problem was the OS wouldn't allow multiple interfaces at the same time.

That is correct. But Apple have used a back-door that only they have access to for Logic, as far as I understand it. I wan't to be wrong on this point but haven't seen anything to contradict it so far.

• I don’t know how Logic can utilize two interfaces when it has enough trouble working with one! It’s silent half the time I fire it up and I have to restart it and my interface most of the time.

What do folks use two interfaces for? Just got a Model 12 so was considering selling my Motu M4 - any reason to hold onto it, other than more outputs?

• I have 5 interfaces: one for vocals, one for guitar, one for usb midi, one in my op 1 field and 1 in my Roland s1 ; it would be nice to connect any of them in any way like I do on desktop and now in Logic iPad but I would like Cubasis 3 to have the ability.

Unfortunately Wim is probably right as that is also what I thought Apple was doing .

• @RonnieOmelettes said:
    I don’t know how Logic can utilize two interfaces when it has enough trouble working with one! It’s silent half the time I fire it up and I have to restart it and my interface most of the time.

What do folks use two interfaces for? Just got a Model 12 so was considering selling my Motu M4 - any reason to hold onto it, other than more outputs?

I have several interfaces that do different things well. I have a Boss IR-200 for guitar and Zoom H6 which is good for vocals and external keyboards.
    I would prefer having the option of using both at the same time, if possible. But I do notice some crackling even when one is left plugged into the hub when I'm using the other. I wonder if USB-C can handle two at once. But since Logic is handling it...

• Should one expect GB to have multiple interface selection?

Steinbergs working on it i think and hope

• wimwim
    edited May 25

@yellow_eyez said:
    Should one expect GB to have multiple interface selection?

IMO no.

I doubt Apple sees that as anything needed by GarageBand’s target market. Also, it would cut into Logic’s relative value proposition.

Steinbergs working on it i think and hope

What makes you say that? Did you read something I’ve missed?

Unless I’m mistaken that isn’t possible for anyone but Apple. The capability in the OS isn’t available to anyone else. (I’m still hoping to hear something authoritative to the contrary.)

• edited May 25

@RonnieOmelettes said:

What do folks use two interfaces for?

I just like to use an interface for input, and the iPad’s speakers for output. That’s 2 right there!

• @RonnieOmelettes said:
    I don’t know how Logic can utilize two interfaces when it has enough trouble working with one! It’s silent half the time I fire it up and I have to restart it and my interface most of the time.

In some cases, it isn't that people want to interfaces but might have multiple devices connected that the OS sees as interfaces. For example, some keyboards and drum machines have midi and audio over USB. If you have those and an interface connected, you may have trouble using them as you want.

Or you might want to use your USB mic for input and an interface for output. If the USB mic allows monitoring, some do, the OS sometimes sees that as a competing interface. Those situations are easily handled by Logic but not other hosts.

Hopefully, Apple will provide a public API so that other devs can provide the same options.

• I’d think AUM will figure this out before anyone else lol