Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sugar Bytes Nest. Has anyone gotten a lot of use out of it?

Would love to hear what you think!

Greg

Comments

  • I've worked through the online tutorial a couple times and I do like it, but haven't used it in anything as yet. I got it as part of their bundle—otherwise I probably wouldn't have invested, as it's just not my kind of app (lazy) but I do think it's very smart and can do some things you can't really do with anything else.

  • You need to enjoy maths and logic and working with virtual patch cables to like Nest. It’s very clever indeed, it’s definitely not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea though.

  • edited May 21

    I would love to see this as an iOS app. Sadly they won’t port it.
    On the other hand this is not too much of a problem: Both miRack and VCVRack offer plenty of logic and sequencer modules that allow for similar experimentation.

  • Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ended up getting Nest cause it's on sale and I got it for $44 at Thomannmusic. I have no idea what I'm doing with it but I'm still getting super fun results and reverse engineering patches. Pairs super nicely with Synestia! Also the Sugar Bytes' videos are great. Only on video 2. Lots to take in and I hope my mind can absorb enough to get the most out of it.

    @Gavinski , now I can see what you mean :) I don't get on well with the maths, but the results I can get are compelling me to try!

  • Nest reminds me a lot of Thesys, a powerful breed of a step sequencer with many algorithmic tricks.
    Thesys is available on iOS and it does cover a lot of ground.
    If anyone has the dedication to work with Nest then Thesys would be a good alternative I think.

  • Those vids were made by Aleyas btw, who used to frequent this forum. Has anyone heard of him? Seems to have disappeared entirely, bit worried about him tbh

    @gkillmaster said:
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ended up getting Nest cause it's on sale and I got it for $44 at Thomannmusic. I have no idea what I'm doing with it but I'm still getting super fun results and reverse engineering patches. Pairs super nicely with Synestia! Also the Sugar Bytes' videos are great. Only on video 2. Lots to take in and I hope my mind can absorb enough to get the most out of it.

    @Gavinski , now I can see what you mean :) I don't get on well with the maths, but the results I can get are compelling me to try!

  • @rs2000 said:
    Nest reminds me a lot of Thesys, a powerful breed of a step sequencer with many algorithmic tricks.
    Thesys is available on iOS and it does cover a lot of ground.
    If anyone has the dedication to work with Nest then Thesys would be a good alternative I think.

    Good to know!! Thanks!

  • edited May 21

    @gkillmaster I would say it's different than Thesys. It's more like using a modular synth to sequence things. Thesys has a defined UI and fixed rules. Nest is logic based sequencing.

    I created a semi-clone of Nest when it came out using Mirack. https://patchstorage.com/aviary/

  • edited May 21

    @auxmux
    Yes and that's why I believe that most users will get along better with Thesys.
    It's based on logic modifiers too but at least it gives you an idea of what a certain modifier does to your sequence 😉

    Edit: Should we build a Drambo Nest for the die-hard? 😋

  • @rs2000 said:
    @auxmux
    Yes and that's why I believe that most users will get along better with Thesys.
    It's based on logic modifiers too but at least it gives you an idea of what a certain modifier does to your sequence 😉

    Edit: Should we build a Drambo Nest for the die-hard? 😋

    I agree on Drambo Nest. 😄

  • Definitely very unique and there’s nothing else I can think of that does the same things. You definitely have to put the time in to learn it, and you have to take your time connecting cables. The effort definitely pays off though.

  • edited May 21

    Never got the appeal…
    To me it’s just one of those hipster things - looks cool, must be cool.
    But IMO it only makes fairly simple things more difficult for no or very little benefit.

    edit:
    keep forgetting about the randomize everything people, though not sure if it has the capacity, anyway…

  • edited May 21

    @rs2000 said:
    @auxmux
    Yes and that's why I believe that most users will get along better with Thesys.
    It's based on logic modifiers too but at least it gives you an idea of what a certain modifier does to your sequence 😉

    Edit: Should we build a Drambo Nest for the die-hard? 😋

    Inspired by Nest I actually started to create some logic modules for Drambo a while ago:

    https://patchstorage.com/logic-circuit-toolbox/

  • This thread is very interesting with direction to Drambo.

  • edited May 21

    @catherder said:

    @rs2000 said:
    @auxmux
    Yes and that's why I believe that most users will get along better with Thesys.
    It's based on logic modifiers too but at least it gives you an idea of what a certain modifier does to your sequence 😉

    Edit: Should we build a Drambo Nest for the die-hard? 😋

    Inspired by Nest I actually started to create some logic modules for Drambo a while ago:

    https://patchstorage.com/logic-circuit-toolbox/

    @szczyp said:
    This thread is very interesting with direction to Drambo.

    I've made a little incomplete demo of a Drambo patch that uses modules like in Nest:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/60889/nesty-sequences/p1

Sign In or Register to comment.