Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Effectrix or Turnado? Which gives the most bang for your buck?

I want to buy one of them in the current sale but can’t decide which.

It seems Turnado is more fully featured (more effects, more variations within effect types) and that it can do everything Effectrix can via automation but the AU version is understandably blocked in the trial version so i can’t be sure?

Is the slider which engages the level of dictator mode in Turnado automatable?

Opinions? Pros, cons?

«1

Comments

  • @Robin2 said:
    I want to buy one of them in the current sale but can’t decide which.

    It seems Turnado is more fully featured (more effects, more variations within effect types) and that it can do everything Effectrix can via automation but the AU version is understandably blocked in the trial version so i can’t be sure?

    Is the slider which engages the level of dictator mode in Turnado automatable?

    Opinions? Pros, cons?

    The Dictator on Turnado is automatable
    Effectrix is more manageable , Turnado more chaotic

  • edited May 15

    @Robin2 said:
    I want to buy one of them in the current sale but can’t decide which.

    It seems Turnado is more fully featured (more effects, more variations within effect types) and that it can do everything Effectrix can via automation but the AU version is understandably blocked in the trial version so i can’t be sure?

    Is the slider which engages the level of dictator mode in Turnado automatable?

    Opinions? Pros, cons?

    Fundamentally, Effectrix is a sequencer, while Turnado is not. Plus, everything @Korakios said.

    Turnado is great for transitions, while Effectrix is great for rhythmic mangling. But there are no rules.

  • generally speaking - for live tweaking, Turnado. For timeline-based stuff, Effectrix.

    To my taste, the Turnado effects sound nicer than Effectrix. I guess Effectrix 2 updates the engines but it doesn't seem available on iOS yet

  • I get much more pleasure from Turnado. Having said that, when the new Effectrix ports to iOS I’ll be all over it. Can’t be long now.

  • Just in case you’re not aware, you can download and try them these days, as they’ve moved to selling the full app as an IAP.

  • @robosardine said:
    I get much more pleasure from Turnado. Having said that, when the new Effectrix ports to iOS I’ll be all over it. Can’t be long now.

    They’ve passed over iOS on the last few releases (Nest, Graindad), maybe Effectrix 2 won’t make the cut.

  • That's all very subjective. Since I found out that although Turnado is quite deep, more often than not it could not do what I wanted and since I switched to Drambo and its X-fader scenes, I never went back.
    I often have new ideas of what I could try as an audio effect and I prefer freedom over a static UI, although I must say that Effectrix has a great hands-on approach which can work well if the included effect types cover your needs.

  • edited May 15

    As others said already:

    Effectrix is sequencer based multieffect unit
    Turbado is a live tweaking multieffect unit.

    You can achieve somewhat similar things that Effectrix does with Turnado via lfo section but it it’s definitely a workaround.

    Just wait for the sale and get both ;)

    I agree that Effectrix sounds a bit rough around the edges.

    If you already own Drambo you can download my patch called Beat Moosh from patchstorage.com/drambo that uses Effectrix inspired sequence based concept within Drambo mfx AUV3

  • Or build your own Effectrix using Scatterbrain.

  • @ahallam said:

    @robosardine said:
    I get much more pleasure from Turnado. Having said that, when the new Effectrix ports to iOS I’ll be all over it. Can’t be long now.

    They’ve passed over iOS on the last few releases (Nest, Graindad), maybe Effectrix 2 won’t make the cut.

    Yeh - I thought I heard mention at the time that it was in the plans - maybe I was mistaken.

    Scrub that - I’ve just checked the thread - there is no indication of it happening 😕 Darn!….. that was to be he last piece of the jigsaw propelling me into a superstar career.

  • Sincere thanks to everyone who's given their opinion, really helpful. Those opinions would suggest that i should be looking more at Effectrix based on my workflow. Time to email Sugar Bytes and ask whether Effectrix 2 will be coming to iOS i think. Don’t want to buy this version if the next one’s coming as (presumably) a separate purchase.

    Yeah, now that you’ve jogged my memory, @rs2000, @supadom and @bleep, i think I’ve ultimately decided against either in the past after looking first at Scatterbrain and then the just-do-it-in-Drambo-instead options - ultimately deciding Drambo was best - so i need to remind myself of those too. I’ll definitely check out your Beat Moosh patch, thanks @supadom.

  • edited May 16

    If anyone wants to give it a try, here's how I would approach it for now:

    It's a similar concept as in Effectrix. Each track can have its own custom effect chain, pitch from the keyboard can be used for adjusting effect parameters and you can use Drambo's 16 scenes on top to override any effect sequence with live control.

    Edit: I think that makes it even more powerful than Effectrix, with up to 128 steps and switchable pages of 16/32/48... steps and the scenes that let you do so much more - even a DJ style live mix with up to 16 different music loops could be done.

  • I don’t think Sugarbytes is done porting to iOS. Nest and Grainddad weren’t a good fit based on their complexity, and I think they learned their lesson from bad ports like Thesis to not bother when the UI is that fiddly.

  • I am just hoping we get Obscurium one day! It looks perfect for IOS!

  • @robosardine said:

    @ahallam said:

    @robosardine said:
    I get much more pleasure from Turnado. Having said that, when the new Effectrix ports to iOS I’ll be all over it. Can’t be long now.

    They’ve passed over iOS on the last few releases (Nest, Graindad), maybe Effectrix 2 won’t make the cut.

    Yeh - I thought I heard mention at the time that it was in the plans - maybe I was mistaken.

    Scrub that - I’ve just checked the thread - there is no indication of it happening 😕 Darn!….. that was to be he last piece of the jigsaw propelling me into a superstar career.

    I'm not 100% sure but I seem to recall them replying somewhere on the internets that it will be on iOS at some point.

  • @AudioGus said:

    @robosardine said:

    @ahallam said:

    @robosardine said:
    I get much more pleasure from Turnado. Having said that, when the new Effectrix ports to iOS I’ll be all over it. Can’t be long now.

    They’ve passed over iOS on the last few releases (Nest, Graindad), maybe Effectrix 2 won’t make the cut.

    Yeh - I thought I heard mention at the time that it was in the plans - maybe I was mistaken.

    Scrub that - I’ve just checked the thread - there is no indication of it happening 😕 Darn!….. that was to be he last piece of the jigsaw propelling me into a superstar career.

    I'm not 100% sure but I seem to recall them replying somewhere on the internets that it will be on iOS at some point.

    I think we’re slowly building a solid case here.

  • Thanks for the guidance and example @rs2000, your Drambo knowledge is, yet again, really helpful in these parts. Cheers.

  • edited May 16

    @Robin2 said:
    Thanks for the guidance and example @rs2000, your Drambo knowledge is, yet again, really helpful in these parts. Cheers.

    Thanks, you're welcome :)

  • edited May 16

    Why are you choosing between those two?

    Do you already have Wow, DrumComputer, Thesys, Cyclop, Factory, Aparillo, and Egoist?

    If I only had to choose one, it would be Looperator.

    The more difficult choice is: Which one not to get? Answer: Unique

  • edited May 16

    @mojozart said:
    Why are you choosing between those two?

    Do you already have Wow, DrumComputer, Thesys, Cyclop, Factory, Aparillo, and Egoist?

    If I only had to choose one, it would be Looperator.

    The more difficult choice is: Which one not to get? Answer: Unique

    Well, they’re the two which, to me, have a clear crossover in functionality hence the question. I already have Drum Computer, Factory and Aparillo and think they’re amazing.

    Thesys, i bought before and ended up returning because there were problems deleting events in the Performance lane which killed the workflow for me - the long press was really temperamental and difficult to get to register. I should install the demo though and see if that’s still the same.

    Cyclop, brilliant but my funds aren’t unlimited and i need to be really strict with myself regarding synths - how many do i really need and do i use the ones i already own enough? (Likewise, this applies to Unique, even the really cheap when on sale iPhone version).

    Wow, very much a possibility actually.

    Egoist, another app i bought at one point but ended up getting a refund. It’s an amazing app but it’s functionality can be covered by other apps i have and at £15 when on sale, i couldn’t justify it.

    Looperator…you might be right, i need to install the demo and check it out! Thanks for the reminder.

    Update: Actually, the long press to delete events in the Performance lane of Thesys is actually more usable now so…

    Looperator is brilliant and clearly has crossover in functionality with Turnado and Effectrix too so should probably have been included in the original question.

  • edited May 16

    I do not know, if this helps at all, but I just got Turnado in the sale, and am very impressed. You can download it for free to try - it is not Auv3 in the demo, but otherwise fully featured, as far as I can see, and you can import your own loops to test what it can do with your sounds. (You can also test all the presets, by using the next preset buttons rather than the menu.)

    I am not planning to use it as live fx, am more of a sequencing head too, but can see lots of possibilities for fun and creative automation in AUM for this one.

  • @mojozart Hey hey, Unique isn't that bad 😉

  • @rs2000 thanks , it’s opened my eyes even more (in Drambo) 👏👍

  • @catbox, yeah, I’ve got the demo version of Turnado installed and there’s no question whatsoever that it’s amazing fun to use with a shed load of possibilities.

    I’m inclined to think that automation can give it the edge on Effectrix overall as Effectrix’s big selling point over Turnado is its easy to use built in automation (sequencer/graphs) as far as i can see so far. Unfortunately, though perfectly understandable, automation can’t be tried in the demo to make sure.

  • Or even better, use Effectrix inside dRambo, and you will get:

    • One multieffect AUv3, MIDI controllable, 12 patterns.

    • Color-coding grid control for all FX involved.
    • Simple and easy to use, with a lot of potential with the randomize button.

    • Global preset system, and for every effect, it has its own preset system.
    • Internal modulation sequencer, in the same grid view.

    • SugarBytes FX magic.

    Yes, you can do way, way more with dRambo, but you will lose all that convenience, speed, and ease of use. 😅

  • @Luxthor said:
    Or even better, use Effectrix inside dRambo, and you will get:

    • One multieffect AUv3, MIDI controllable, 12 patterns.

    • Color-coding grid control for all FX involved.
    • Simple and easy to use, with a lot of potential with the randomize button.

    • Global preset system, and for every effect, it has its own preset system.
    • Internal modulation sequencer, in the same grid view.

    • SugarBytes FX magic.

    Yes, you can do way, way more with dRambo, but you will lose all that convenience, speed, and ease of use. 😅

    The answer is always: if you're willing to put the time in - Drambo

    I'm still shocked all the time art how complete it is. Like, how do you cover so many use cases?

    Back to the question though,

    Turnado is a beautiful thing, worth it for live use because of how immediate and simple the actual controls are. Setup takes some time though. I never use it for studio stuff because there are better versions IMO of all its effects so for studio i go elsewhere.

    I chose Looperator over Effectrix because again it worked better live.

  • edited May 16

    @Robin2 said:

    Looperator is brilliant and clearly has crossover in functionality with Turnado and Effectrix too so should probably have been included in the original question.

    I would use Looperator way more if I could set a non 16 step loop length like I can in Effectrix.

  • I don't get the Unique hate :lol:
    I dig it. Funny thing is I end up using it more than Cyclops

    If I had to choose between Effectrix and Turnado, I would prefer Turnado, although I end up using Effectrix more because Egoist is my thing and working with it's effects track and Effectrix are more alike

  • Effectrix 2 isn’t coming to iOS SugarBytes replied to me.

  • @robosardine said:
    Effectrix 2 isn’t coming to iOS SugarBytes replied to me.

    Awwww

Sign In or Register to comment.