Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Just came here to post this, weird device

• edited October 2014

Looks interesting but no way am I preordering after being burned by retronyms so many times..
    I like the USB port powering but I wonder just how stable midi clock is through a midi to usb converter and then through Bluetooth LE midi ? Surely add extra unwanted latency??

• Mmm, not sure what to think of this. It is like an audiodock but with midi instead of audio and WiFi connection. I expect it wouldn't be a great hassle for it to have a USB-lightning cable like most interfaces. I'm hearing that wifi/BT latency may still be a problem. I'm only using ik blueboard but latency isn't as crucial there. The lights are a gimmick but I bet they will appeal to some esp combined with additional disco lights either side. I hope there is a switch to disengage them!

• edited October 2014

WHOAH, EPIC!!!! ;-)
    I mean, why spend the time fixing your products that are not working right when you can keep making new stuff?

Interesting idea but the company's track record to date doesn't instill too much confidence.

• But, it has flashing lights!

• edited October 2014

Many.Many of them.

The article wrote about the open source nature of this thing.Does it mean retronyms let the users now fix the bugs for them?Cool :)

• @MoonWolf said:

But, it has flashing lights!

• edited October 2014

I think it looks nice.

The fact that it's Ardunio based and hackable probably means you can add more lights...

• ... or a switch to turn them off, if there already isn't one.

• I've made my feelings known about this device on the iOS Musicians group on Facebook, but I might as well chime in here and say that I agree completely with @Buska and @mrufino1. There is no way I will pre-pay for something from Retronyms. They have a reputation (well earned) of over-promising and under-delivering. They are condescending (with smiles on their faces even), and think we can't read between the lines with what they say, or more importantly don't say. They are not a company that will go out of their way to please you or support you. Once they get their money from you, it's pretty much the end of the relationship. So, if they come out with a great hardware product, I may very well buy it, but it will only be AFTER others have had time to work with it and determine if it works properly or not. I will definitely NOT pre-fund any of their efforts.

• And another thing...What's with the stupid battery wasting lights? Why not add a Midi 5-pin din or something more useful like that?

• I like to have other 2 usb ports in that place...

• I think the lights would be awesome when I play weddings. I'll never get tired of hearing "can you shut those damn lights off?"

The only advantage I see with this is that you can charge the iPad while using it, but there are interfaces that will do that and not be relying on bluetooth. I haven't tried midi over bluetooth yet, so maybe it's more reliable than I think, but I just don't want things cutting out midsong or anything. If the midi controller is right next to it, why not just plug in a cable?

• Well, Retronyms promising again, and something (IMO), that's covered much much better by the iconnect-devices. I'll look the other way for now, and hope for some reylly cool devices (even with maybe less trying-the-hype-factor). The only way Retronyms are gonna learn is through conscious consumer behaviours... (Wow, that sounds tough)...
    Cheers, twobeers

• Thing looks nice, other than the lights. I might give it a shot at $60 (skip the LED array) but I'm gun shy on being a beta tester for them as well. I think they ultimately make pretty nice stuff but the v1.0 of pretty much everything that's made it out of the gate has had some serious flaw. I like that it allows you to charge the ipad. I like that it's hackable. I like that they're going for it.

It's interesting to me that two of their biggest customers (Arturia and Akai) are hardware makers.

• edited October 2014

Am I the only one who thinks it's idiotic to have only two USB ports on this (relatively) giant thing? And, I wish it had more lights.

• Yes, 2 ports seems a little silly to me too. And having one of them so close to the power connector that it bends it some (see video) will hopefully be corrected come production time.

• I like to have a battery inside for use it on the go, and other usb (have just say)

• other news about lights: on video you can see a Tabletop ready device that is big like an iProphet.....so you have another space cover in the table for the lights :-( LOL

• Oh, a battery would be a killer addition.

• I think is the best thing together with an Apogee One which charge the iPad but don't have usb midi...

• Just like marmite.

• If it served marmite I'd buy it in a second!

• Those lights are superfluous and it badly needs more USB ports. I like the design and concept, though, less obsolete than a dock.

• I like to have more lights all around :) lol

• As a proof-of-concept I hooked up an old iphone, passive hub and Apollo Midi Over Bluetooth. It worked great. I was able to control Ipad apps. from MPC Element and Qunexus controllers wirelessly at the same time. Not sure why the Wej is being hyped by Retronyms instead of finishing up iMPC Pro and their other products.

• Yes but your iPhone is not in charge...

• ^ to be fair, it isn't hard to hack together a working iOS setup, because it isn't hard to find class compliant devices and plug them into a USB hub and bam, you're good to go. My current setup is all stuff that was discontinued before iOS even existed, and it works flawlessly...except that I can't charge my iPad while I play. Wej does seem to get that right, but I'm putting it in the basket with all the other half-measure iOS interfaces and waiting for someone to get it right with audio and midi I/O and the ability to charge simultaneously.

• Doesn't the apogee duet have midi and audio and charge the device? I have the apogee one and it does charge it but no midi.

• @mrufino1 said:

Doesn't the apogee duet have midi and audio and charge the device? I have the apogee one and it does charge it but no midi.

Yes it does. My Duet is connected to a pair of LSR305s and has a QuNexus connected to the MIDI port. Very compact iPad setup that I can noodle on all day as I work.