Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget Problem: Copy and Pasting Reverb in Loops

Hi. I'm following the advice posted here on the forums and using audio paste to get around timing issues when using Gadget with Cubasis. Specically I'm creating drum and instrument loops in Gadget and skipping AB and IAA when importing them into Cubasis.

What I'm finding out is that when I use the reverb in Gadgets like Bilabo, I cut off the tail end of the reverb at the end of the loop when copy and pasting in Cubasis. I can always export the loops dry but that would suck to loose the effect. I can imagine this would be a problem in many synth and drum apps besides Gadget.

I was wondering what you guys do when you copy and paste. Is there a work around to keep the reverb intact without having to turn it off at the source? Thanks again for the help!

Comments

• Hi,

I'm surprised you're losing the tail reverb when exporting from Gadget. It's one of the few apps that actually leaves a long tail on the end for this very reason.

Possibly they have recently changed this so that using the 'audio copy' option now just gives you the exact bars and no tail (because people complained about the tail when creating loops). I don't actualy know because I only every really go into Gadget and not out of it.

If this is the case try exporting out to dropbox or iTunes. I'm certain this leaves the tail on.

Or alternatively just go dry and put the reverb on in Cubasis (which is probably a better reverb - especially if you use a dedicated IAA effect app).

• ...Or do you mean that you have to chop the tail off to create the loop in Cubasis?

In that case - the trick, I believe is to chop the tail off, but overlay it over the start of the loop so you hear it on each cycle. Then on the first cycle of the loop in Cubasis don't have the tail overlayed the start and on the last cycle of the loop do also have the tail extend beyond the loop. (Read that few times and it might make sense :)).

• I was not aware this was an issue in Gadget - perhaps I haven't done much copy/paste from there yet. However, what you are asking for is exactly how iMPC Pro works (leaves the tail on pasted loops), and I'm not alone in hating it. Sure, you can chop the loop in AudioShare, but that's a pain in the butt. There should be an option whether it gets left on or not.

Couldn't you just record the loops using Gadget as an AudioBus Input app sent to your DAW?

• It's the second one Matt. It leaves the tail but you chop it off when you start the next loop. How do you overlay the reverb tails when cycling a loop? The only way I can think of is creating 2 audio tracks.

@StorJH1 That's true you can use AB. I like to paste them into AudioShare first so I have a copy independent of Cubasis. I'm building a library. :)

• Hi. I forget in Cubasis but in Beatmaker 2, you can just duplicate the audio clip, cut the copy down so it's just the tail, then move it back directly over the top of the start of the original audio clip. I seem to remember you can have overlaying audio clips on the same track in Cubasis too.

If not, a second audio track would do it, but a bit of hassle to manage.

• To be honest, fiddling about with audio clips like this and ensuring loops sounded right and didn't click was a big reason why I gave up using DAWs like Cubasis and BM2 for my main DAW.

Using Gadget means you don't have to worry about this so much. (Although now it imports audio it's all coming back to me :)).

• edited October 2014

@matt Thanks for all of your help. I love like Gadget too, but don't you miss all of the synths and drum apps you've bought before? And when you say import audio you mean loops right? Pulling them into Bilabo and Abu Dhabi? Is there a way to play a third party synth like the iSem or the PolySix?

• In Cubasis, set your Left and Right locators around the audio you want to loop. Set the project cursor at the right locator, select the audio clip and hit 'Split' on the tools menu. You can now drag the tail to line up with the start of your clip.

• @xen said:

In Cubasis, set your Left and Right locators around the audio you want to loop. Set the project cursor at the right locator, select the audio clip and hit 'Split' on the tools menu. You can now drag the tail to line up with the start of your clip.

Sorry you mean cut off the reverb tail (on the beat) of the original loop and merge it with the start of the next loop in sequence?

• @mkell424...

I used to miss all the other synths and fx apps I have spent lots of money on (not so much the drum apps actually, since I found mostly what I needed by tweaking the London gadget).

But now... I have everything and i'm a very happy man. Because with a bit of effort you can import all that 3rd party stuff into Gadget - and then use Abu/Bilbao and the wonderful sequencer within Gadget to further enhance/glitch what you're bought in.

Actually, it's not so much loops i'm bringing in. It's one shot samples and it's longer synth sequences which, annoyingly, I have to cut up carefully and then stitch back together in Gadget (this is not for everyone I imagine - but for me it's a hoop i'm prepared to jump through). And it works. You can also sample (from another synth app) individual notes or chords of a sequence onto different pads in Bilbao and then play them in Gadget - complete with all the effect tails etc... Works quite well.

And don't get me started on the pitch dial on Bilbao... I just discovered it works in real time while a sample is playing - so you can do great slowdowns or speed-ups on a longer sample. So good.

My wish is:

• Longer sample lengths allowed into Gadget (unlimited ideally)
    • Better handling of effects in Gadget so you can apply multiple effects to everything and generally mix tracks more effectively.

I seem to have an irrational and almost spiritual love of the workflow in Gadget though... we are man and machine at one. It's a beautiful thing.

• You're scaring me a little Matt, but I think it might just be the jealousy grey men have for true believers... :)

• I think if Korg made is easier to bring external audio into Gadget, Gadget would own. Audioshare integration and better sample management would make it the sickness.

• I'm evangelical and proud.

@Papertiger - I totally agree.

• @mkell424 said:

@xen said:

In Cubasis, set your Left and Right locators around the audio you want to loop. Set the project cursor at the right locator, select the audio clip and hit 'Split' on the tools menu. You can now drag the tail to line up with the start of your clip.

Sorry you mean cut off the reverb tail (on the beat) of the original loop and merge it with the start of the next loop in sequence?

Yeah, spot on. Although, I would say overlay rather than merge, because unless you resample then they remain as independent clips, ie if you move them, you need to move them both.

• @xen thanks for the tip.

@Matt I agree Gadget sounds great. Actually it was a Bilabo loop that started this thread. :)

Your use of Bilabo to play back musical phrases sounds a lot like how bands in the 90's would make music. People like Portishead and the Chemical Brothers. Back in the days of AKAI and EMU samplers. I used to read Keyboard magazine back then. :)

• Thanks... Portishead and the Chemical Brothers certainly nailed it back then. No doubt learning a lot from the original hip hop producers using AKAIs.

If people haven't seen it - I recommend checking out Memorecks - who is currently doing very creative things live using MPCs and various synths, samples and beats. I love this live audio/video track driven from an MPC. Pretty inspirational IMO:

• Arghhhh. Interesting to see, and well enough executed, but I wish the 'second' video track didn't keep getting in the darn way all the time :)

• Memorecks is cool. Speaking of sampling dialogue, can you save audio from YouTube, QuickTime, etc internally on the iPad? Maybe an app where you can record the audio into a .wav and use audio copy to transfer it to a DAW or AudioShare?

• @johnnyGoodyear.

If you check any of his other videos it's just his fingers. It's only this one where he overlays video clips.

• Thanks for the recommendation. I checked and there are a couple of different apps called iFiles by different authors. And I don't see anywhere that it says it will record audio from YouTube.

Is this the one? Thanks.

• Erm... @DaveMagoo - thanks! That's a really great tip. Much appreciated. We probably shouldn't shout about it too loud lest someone decides to turn that function off.

• @papertiger said:

I think if Korg made is easier to bring external audio into Gadget, Gadget would own. Audioshare integration and better sample management would make it the sickness.

This. Speaking as a fellow MultiTrackStudio acolyte, that's the only DAW that even comes close to Gadget (and Caustic) in allowing you to sketch music all in one place. But as good as AudioBus is and as much as IAA & MIDI will hopefully improve, it's just one more place for things to go wrong, as compared to all the instruments and interface self-contained on Gadget.

That being said, I have an iPad 2, so I've heard it gets to be problematic after 4 or 5 tracks at the same time. I rarely do tons of different tracks however, so this is not a problem. I happen to be a guitar player primarily, so it's frustrating that Gadget does "everything else" except import the audio of my instrument.

• ^ For the obvious record, I agree with PT and Storm on this.

• edited October 2014

I've already had a great program for recording streaming radio and podcasts from the Internet and I didn't even know it.

Tune In Pro:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tunein-radio-pro/id319295332?mt=8

Edit: Hold on a minute. It records audio great (high quality) but I didn't think about how to get it out of Tune In Pro. lol

• @DaveMagoo said:

ifiles

I'd really like to know which of the many apps under that name allow you to record the audio from video sources. That's my most needed feature on iOS.

• @Accent You could hook up your phone or computer and record it in analog.

• I know. I have no shortage of ways to record the audio on an external device (computer, phone, field recorder, Octatrack). Maybe I'm just being really lazy, but I just want a way to natively record a bit of dialogue from a movie or whatever while I'm watching it on the iPad, without needing to get off the couch and go into my studio or connect another device to do so. Prior to getting an iPad, I used to do this all the time with Soundflower or Audio Hijack Pro. As my iPad has largely replaced my computer, it would be much handier to just grab a snippet of audio and put it in Audioshare or Dropbox. I also really like mixing in bits of speech into Grain Science and Mitosynth patches, so it would be far more convenient to just sample something and import it directly.

• I AGREE WITH THIS!

And the lack of an easypeasy way to do what should be an easypeasy thing pisses me off enough to shout about it...

• iFiles let's you do this. The app icon is yellow and has 3 people standing with their arms round each other.