Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A plea to (some) devs

Much as I love ios and music apps,I have one small gripe.
I'm getting really frustrated by some of the dials and touch sensitive regions that require a finger slide to change them.
For instance,can anyone set the tempo in ipolysix to any given value?ive tried so many times to alter the default 120bpm's to let's say 110 bpm's.the closest I've got is 112.6 and that took about 10 minutes.
The increments are so fine and the knob so small that I find it impossible.
Can you easily note edit in the edit window in cubasis?
Do you find editing note volume that easy?
I just wonder if sometimes devs think lets do it that way cuz it looks cool..?
Would it not be easier for a pop up window to appear when we want to,say edit a note in cubasis,that gives us the ability to type note length,velocity,ect values in.
Or are my fingers just too big?
99.9% of what's being done by devs is great,but in some cases,could the user experience not be improved upon?

Comments

• Some apps are difficult, yes. I like when apps implement different ways, for instance take BPM, I've seen an app (can't remember which) that had the normal slide/tap to change but also had tap-n-hold and a dialog box and keyboard popup for manual entry, and of course double-tap to reset. Also some use the the further away from the knob you pull your finger the slower it move/changes and the closer the faster it changes to allow for micro edits (i.e. AudioShare)

• It's great that a dev has options in the designe process and i love nearly everything they come up with(some designe has been truly fantastic..(borderlands,samplr ect)
    but for the majority of apps where the basics are essential,I just want simple,quick and effective controls

• Yeah I do what @JMSexton says. I'll see if i can explain it better though. ;-) It's how you get an exact number for tempo in iPolySix. You just place your finger on the tempo nob and without lifting your finger off the screen slide your finger far away from the nob and begin to move in a circle around the nob. When you get close to number you want slow down the speed that you are circling with. It's still tricky but you'll may get 110.01 instead of 112.6 :-) This method works for almost all nobs on almost every app, and without a dialogue to enter the number manually it's the best way to fine tune.

I do agree with you that there could and should be better ways. Manually adding a number should be standard for all nobs and sliders IMO. :-)

• Just Found this in iPolysix manual:

You can also make fine adjustments to a parameter by flicking it (quickly brushing your finger over it).
    Flick Up: Increases the parameter by a small amount.
    Flick Down: Decreases the parameter by a small amount.
    Flick Right: Increases the parameter by an even smaller amount.
    Flick Left: Decreases the parameter by an even smaller amount.

• I didn't know about this and not sure how easy it is to perform but it's straight out of iPolysix manual and I would assume their other apps are the same

• edited March 2013

Thanks guys,
    Ok,hands up.it's me that needs to be dragged into this century then.

Is there something I've missed with changing the volume on notes in the cubasis edit window?

Edit...for volume,I meant velocity!!

• @JMSexton Thanks man, just tried that. Works great. Flicking up increases by 1bpm :-)

• the flicking thing is quite clever....very responsive.
    Have a good week you two..

• Np and you too!

• @JMSexton holy cow, brother....you just made my day. I know I should have RTFM a long time ago, but...well I don't really have an excuse...but I can tell you that I have complained SO much about the BPM in ims-20. I even figured out a way to spin the wheel all the way up or down to get better incremental movements out the the wheel (ie, spin all the way to the UP volume if you can't get it to exactly 110 and then when you come back down it *might get closer - if that doesn't work - rinse and repeat). I mean...you've just made my whole day.

• Wow....again I REALLY learned something...I reached exactly 110 bpm in a few seconds :)

• edited March 2013

Flicking works for all knobs in polysix and ims20. Maybe all the korg apps but those are the only two I own. Not a terribly discoverable feature but it works really well once you know it.

This is the sort of thing that seems odd to me - a gagillion developers reinventing this particular wheel. I'm all for innovation (hokusai's sliders and nanostudio's draggable numeric entry boxes come to mind) but you'd think this sort of tempo or dial entry type thing would be in a library on github only requiring a developer to hook it up to something and skin it.