Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• May want to fix your title. That iPad won't sell. :)

• 2 Megabytes! Let's party like it's 1989!

• edited September 2014

Could be called "Air" with 12,9" ? Well, marketing can everything.

I'm still waiting women figure out I'm using Axe. :)

• @kgmessier said:

May want to fix your title. That iPad won't sell. :)

Oops! Fixed

• Right, so we get a new ipad launch with more ram and, by the look of that article, a better CPU. So logically, future app updates will expand to that spec. If you want to hold off upgrading the hardware for a couple of years, due mainly to budget, you need to stop updating apps if you are aiming to maintain a reasonable level of multi-app performance. Otherwise newer apps are going to clog older systems. This may be obvious for ipad veterans, but I'm pretty new to this and am looking to get an ipad system working nice and reliably for a few years, so I can crack on and do some work.

If any of you have been at this for a while and use the ipad in a semi-pro capacity, how do you manage/plan around hardware performance creep?

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@kgmessier said:

May want to fix your title. That iPad won't sell. :)

Oops! Fixed

Still showing 2 mb...! Maybe adding to title : "lighting to floppy disk ,included"!!!

• I hope it will be worth the wait.

• Ha..... 2GB ram on an 12.9" iPad pro with what resolution. It could be the new iPad 3 ;)

• note: article mentions (only)

2Gb and TouchID for iPad Air 2,

A8x for large iPad,

other details unknown. So the large iPad might still get even more memory, and the Air 2 might still get the A8x, although that seems unlikely at this point.

• Let's bet..... i say the new iPads come with the same specs as the iPhone 6 plus.

• I want to believe!

• edited September 2014

"I want to believe"..... :) Yes, i wish i could too. Maybe i believe in aliens but apple..... ;)

Most important for an iPad pro would be a far more advanced iOS coupled with more CPU power and a bunch of RAM.
    Oh.... and just a lightning port would be hard for pro use too.

• I'll see what's available at the time I need, and can afford, to upgrade. No point in speculating...

• edited September 2014

All i need is food, water and O2 ;)

My dream machine would be a new MacBook pro 17" with 8core 128GB ram and the most important thing instead of the track pad (which is great) a touchscreen for iOS (connected to OS X) with 5-7 inch which works of course also as normal touch pad. I think a touch screen in size of a laptop sucks it you don't want to get shoulder fatigue. The combination of a very fast reachable (extended) touch pad and a normal desktop workflow would be killer and for me the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (germans know what i mean... didn't find an english word here). Then of course there must be big touch pads/screens which i could connect via thunderbolt 2 if i need them to give them the horse power..... should stop that before apple steal my ideas ;)

• edited September 2014

I believe. I think it might happen. Will be interesting to see how much the huge display offsets the extra ram if it does. Could speculate all day about it's advantages or its potential limitations, but it's all wasted breath until Apple announces it at an event. Especially if this one strings along as long as the i-am-not-called-i-watch.

(Still fun though)

• @xen said:

Right, so we get a new ipad launch with more ram and, by the look of that article, a better CPU. So logically, future app updates will expand to that spec. If you want to hold off upgrading the hardware for a couple of years, due mainly to budget, you need to stop updating apps if you are aiming to maintain a reasonable level of multi-app performance. Otherwise newer apps are going to clog older systems. This may be obvious for ipad veterans, but I'm pretty new to this and am looking to get an ipad system working nice and reliably for a few years, so I can crack on and do some work.

If any of you have been at this for a while and use the ipad in a semi-pro capacity, how do you manage/plan around hardware performance creep?

I don't think it's going to be a problem for a while. You still have a large number of iPad 2s and 3s out there that run on the A5, and the A6 is very similar to the A5. The 64 bit A7 and A8 are a huge leap forward, but they've only been on the market for a year. It's like when the dual core CPUs hit the market, it took years before they became a requirement for new software.

• I guess a larger iPad should be called the iPad Plus.

• mmpmmp
    edited September 2014

More processing power and memory, yes please, but personally, I think the current regular iPads are the ideal size, I don't need a higher resolution either. The main limitation in my current (and first) iPad 4 is its 16 Gb storage capacity. I wasn't aware of all the possibilities when I purchased it, only discovering its musical talents afterwards!

I'm hoping to upgrade to the Air 2 if it does get 2 Gb RAM or more...

• I have an iPad Air, and I will drop this thing like a stone and upgrade to an Air 2 in a flash if it gets 2GB RAM or more.

• edited September 2014

Everything works like a charm on my Air with several apps running within audiobus like a clockwork at 128frames and RAM at 95%+ all of the time. The extra gb of ram will allow me to put tone stack on the ipad instead of running it on the iphone and to let the system breath a little. It will also give me some extra peace of mind that things aren't going to seize up, even though that has never really happened.

I'm quite happy with the current form factor too. Having a 13" ipad with split screen would be like having 2 minis side by side. I presume a wider screen would give a less fiddly UI on stage, especially with apps such as samplr but I'm personally more for a more portable solutions and wouldn't feel as cool and funky with a 13" in my bag, it would be almost like having a laptop in there.

• I'm sort of hoping they name it maxi-iPad. It'll be far less embarrassing buying it than a similarly named product.

In all seriousness, I've been delaying upgrading my iPad 2 in hopes of a scoring a replacement with 2 gigs of RAM.

• Hah ^ best yet!

• @supanorton said:

I'm sort of hoping they name it maxi-iPad.

That would be cool. You could use it horseback riding, swimming, etc. You could even wear white pants with it!

• When Leggs nylons first came out they had Joe Namath shave his legs and wear them. I wonder how Doug will show us the MaxiPad?

• @Sebastian said:

I want to believe!

^^

• Another report of 2g of ram based on board leak. http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/13/ipad-air-2-a8x-2-gb-ram/

• I really hope a new Mini with 2 gigs would come but unfortunately i start to believe the rumours that it will just have the chip from iPhone 6 :(

• Sold and shipped my Air out this morning, ready and waiting :)

• what good will new hardware be if AB, Apple and the music app developers can't figure out how to make iOS 8 a workable operating system for music making?

• Who says they can't? It hasn't even been a month since it was released.