Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Share ideas, techniques for Loopy Pro with guitar

Here are four things that have inspired me recently:

  1. The cheap, wireless M-Vave Chocolate foot controller, set up with instructions from @wim.

  2. Max Yar's videos.

  3. The Boss IR-200 amp and cab simulator. I've reported on this pedal at several points in the IR-2 thread that I started before Christmas.

  4. Impulse Responses (IRs) for acoustic guitar. I really like how my acoustic sounds through this free IR from Worship Tutorials.

Comments

  • I like having a guitar chain and then a bass chain with a pitch shifter. Then I can play bass lines on my guitar and loop them for a relatively convincing bass. Also the Launchpad has made looping a lifesaver. It’s still not as fluid as a foot controller but it helps a lot

  • wimwim
    edited January 14

    @Fingolfinzz said:
    I like having a guitar chain and then a bass chain with a pitch shifter. Then I can play bass lines on my guitar and loop them for a relatively convincing bass. Also the Launchpad has made looping a lifesaver. It’s still not as fluid as a foot controller but it helps a lot

    What do you use for pitch shifting? Someone just asked for recommendations in another thread.

  • @wim said:

    @Fingolfinzz said:
    I like having a guitar chain and then a bass chain with a pitch shifter. Then I can play bass lines on my guitar and loop them for a relatively convincing bass. Also the Launchpad has made looping a lifesaver. It’s still not as fluid as a foot controller but it helps a lot

    What do you use for pitch shifting? Someone just asked for recommendations in another thread.

    I’ve been using the tonebooster voice pitcher one. It works pretty good with pretty low latency. I have to finesse it a bit with some eq, compression, and a bass amp/cab ir but the results usually come out good enough that I haven’t bought a bass yet.

  • I found a Roland Handypad makes a decent foot controller for LP:

    The fact it’s a fun hand percussion controller is just a bonus.

  • @Fingolfinzz said:

    I’ve been using the tonebooster voice pitcher one. It works pretty good with pretty low latency. I have to finesse it a bit with some eq, compression, and a bass amp/cab ir but the results usually come out good enough that I haven’t bought a bass yet.

    okay, that is a good tip. I use a T-Rex Quint guitar pedal for that, tracking and latency is good. But if I can do this in the box, that would be much better.

  • I posted this in another thread, but it seems relevant here, too.

    Something that is easy to do in Loopy Pro is put together composite "presets" where a press of a button can change the preset and parameters of any number of loaded effects and synths ... and you can set them up to easily step through them. Say you have a series of complicated effect changes in a song, you could set it up to advance through them with a single button if you wanted.

    FWIW, this is my current "pedalboard" page. It gives me quick access (all of which is MIDI learnable) to the things that I most frequently access while playing. The green buttons on the right are "super presets" that change a number of effect presets at once. The dial at the left is set to toggle between my clean and dirty guitar tones with a foot pedal. Holding the pedal switches the behavior so that tapping cycles between the "super presets".




    Here is the project in case it isn’t obviously how to implement it.

    https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/kf/f3d9483jv83y.zip

  • @wim said:

    @Fingolfinzz said:
    I like having a guitar chain and then a bass chain with a pitch shifter. Then I can play bass lines on my guitar and loop them for a relatively convincing bass. Also the Launchpad has made looping a lifesaver. It’s still not as fluid as a foot controller but it helps a lot

    What do you use for pitch shifting? Someone just asked for recommendations in another thread.

    The pitch shifter in Space Guitar is the best I’ve tried, to my ears at least. My second favorite is Drambo—it makes my acoustic guitar sound like an acoustic bass quite convincingly and with minimal latency.

  • Here is a Loopy Pro project with Loopy running inside as a MIDI AU to control Lumbeats drummers.

  • edited January 15

    +1 for Max Yar's videos, I've been using a couple of his freely available templates (Ditto emulation & Markus K) and got so much out of them that I signed up for his Loopy Pro course. I thought I knew quite a lot about Loopy Pro, but he's really helped me focus on what I really need to know and repeat it in practise until it gets properly baked in (as opposed to spending all my time endlessly making new templates... although of course I can still do that as a sideline).

    Max is a fantastic teacher and an inspiring looper and guitar player. For pitch shifting I've been using his Tonestack Pro presets from his 'Markus K' template, it sounds good and his patch shifting widget (from guitar to bass) is very satisfying under foot control - for acoustic I stripped down his Tonestack patch to be just the pitch shifter. I also use Nembrini Quinta (if I'm using 20th Anniversary as my amp) and the THu Octaver (if I'm using THu) - but I'm admittedly not that fussy, so long as it sounds more like a bass than a guitar I'm generally happy. Important to turn off the 'high quality' setting in Quinta for low latency though.

    Anyway, great thread, @espiegel123 I really appreciate what you're posting, will delve into that, and thanks to everyone else for all the creative thinking.

  • @steve99 said:
    Anyway, great thread, @espiegel123 I really appreciate what you're posting, will delve into that, and thanks to everyone else for all the creative thinking.

    Just want to write the same here, thank you very much @espiegel123!
    Do you have any plans to post your examples to PatchStorage? Would be nice to have them in one place without "hunting" across forum threads. :smile:

  • @filo01 said:

    @steve99 said:
    Anyway, great thread, @espiegel123 I really appreciate what you're posting, will delve into that, and thanks to everyone else for all the creative thinking.

    Just want to write the same here, thank you very much @espiegel123!
    Do you have any plans to post your examples to PatchStorage? Would be nice to have them in one place without "hunting" across forum threads. :smile:

    Things that seem generally robust and useful on their own I post at patchstorage (I've posted a couple of templates there). What i've just posted have been thoroughly tested or designed with other people using them in mind. These sort of examples relevant to a particular discussion will probably not make their way over there as they might not be generally useful.

  • edited January 16

    Any tips for boosting acoustic guitar signal?

    I'm running the output from my Taylor ES-2 pickup into a cab sim on my Boss IR-200. Initially, I was running the Boss unit's output into my mixer, where I could just turn up the fader before its signal went to my interface. But this evening I tried using the IR-200's built-in interface. (I was put off before by something that turned out to be the fault of an effect, not the interface.) It sounds gorgeous, but with the IR-200's preamp disabled, the guitar output is low. I dealt with this by lowering the volume of my drums (a lot), so that everything balanced out. I also could have added a physical pedal in front of the IR-200, but that would have added some noise; I'm assuming a digital solution would be cleaner.

    How do you get a decent volume for the initial tracking? Or is that even something to worry about, when you're recording at 96 / 24? (I didn't choose 96 kHz: that's just what the IR-200 runs at.)

  • @dokwok2 : I must have missed it. Why do you need the preamp off?

  • @espiegel123 said:
    @dokwok2 : I must have missed it. Why do you need the preamp off?

    My acoustic guitar’s internal preamp is on. The preamp I’ve turned off is the one in my Boss IR-200 amp and cab sim pedal, since all of its preamp models are for electric guitar and bass. I’m sure they would work, but I don’t want them coloring my acoustic sound, which even the Natural Clean model would do.

  • @dokwok2 said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    @dokwok2 : I must have missed it. Why do you need the preamp off?

    My acoustic guitar’s internal preamp is on. The preamp I’ve turned off is the one in my Boss IR-200 amp and cab sim pedal, since all of its preamp models are for electric guitar and bass. I’m sure they would work, but I don’t want them coloring my acoustic sound, which even the Natural Clean model would do.

    I have a Tech21 SansAmp Para Driver that is great for acoustic. It’s been especially good for mandolin, and is the best pedal I have for providing a clean boost and some tone shaping.

  • F> @dokwok2 said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    @dokwok2 : I must have missed it. Why do you need the preamp off?

    My acoustic guitar’s internal preamp is on. The preamp I’ve turned off is the one in my Boss IR-200 amp and cab sim pedal, since all of its preamp models are for electric guitar and bass. I’m sure they would work, but I don’t want them coloring my acoustic sound, which even the Natural Clean model would do.

    Have you confirmed that they color it unpleasantly? With the IR-200 preamp off you can apply clean gain in Loopy Pro by putting the Equalizer plug in first in your chain. If you don’t add eq, it is acts as a truly clean gain control (using hand input or output gain slider thingies).

  • edited January 16

    @espiegel123 said:
    Have you confirmed that they color it unpleasantly? With the IR-200 preamp off you can apply clean gain in Loopy Pro by putting the Equalizer plug in first in your chain. If you don’t add eq, it is acts as a truly clean gain control (using hand input or output gain slider thingies).

    Thanks for those suggestions. I may experiment with the IR-200's "Natural Clean" preamp at some point, but for now I want to minimize variables until I get to know the equipment better.* The built-in EQ seems like a good way to manage volume without introducing more elements in the physical signal chain.

    • Earlier this week I thought the IR-200's interface wasn't going to work with Loopy Pro because I was getting crackles. I inferred that Loopy Pro was struggling to keep up with the IR-200's fixed sample parameters (96kHz, 24 bits, 32 buffer), but in fact the crackles were coming from AudioThing's Outer Space plugin. I had written off using the IR-200 for its interface until someone mentioned the crackles on the Outer Space thread. I retested the IR-200's interface, with and without Outer Space, and confirmed that the problem was the plugin, not the interface. Lesson learned, or just relearned: test one new thing at a time.
  • @lukesleepwalker said:

    @wim said:

    @Fingolfinzz said:
    I like having a guitar chain and then a bass chain with a pitch shifter. Then I can play bass lines on my guitar and loop them for a relatively convincing bass. Also the Launchpad has made looping a lifesaver. It’s still not as fluid as a foot controller but it helps a lot

    What do you use for pitch shifting? Someone just asked for recommendations in another thread.

    The pitch shifter in Space Guitar is the best I’ve tried, to my ears at least. My second favorite is Drambo—it makes my acoustic guitar sound like an acoustic bass quite convincingly and with minimal latency.

    Surprisingly there’s no great pitch shifters on iOS!.
    When Nembrini Quinta was released I was stoked but it turned out to be quite buggy, with terrible latency.
    I’ve tried a ton of apps. The octaves in guitar apps (Yonac, THU, etc) don’t sound great for polyphonic material. I’ve also resorted to Drambo, BLEASS Slow machine, TB Voice Shifter… I have a SubNUp pedal that I end up using a lot, it doesn’t sound great, a bit dull, but I don’t find any of the iOS options sound better.
    I’d love a FAC pitch shifter / octaver with @FredAntonCorvest special sauce.

  • @tahiche said:

    Surprisingly there’s no great pitch shifters on iOS!.
    When Nembrini Quinta was released I was stoked but it turned out to be quite buggy, with terrible latency.
    I’ve tried a ton of apps. The octaves in guitar apps (Yonac, THU, etc) don’t sound great for polyphonic material. I’ve also resorted to Drambo, BLEASS Slow machine, TB Voice Shifter… I have a SubNUp pedal that I end up using a lot, it doesn’t sound great, a bit dull, but I don’t find any of the iOS options sound better.
    I’d love a FAC pitch shifter / octaver with @FredAntonCorvest special sauce.

    Latency is fine for me with Nembrini Quinta so long as 'High Q' is set to off.

  • @steve99 said:

    @tahiche said:

    Surprisingly there’s no great pitch shifters on iOS!.
    When Nembrini Quinta was released I was stoked but it turned out to be quite buggy, with terrible latency.
    I’ve tried a ton of apps. The octaves in guitar apps (Yonac, THU, etc) don’t sound great for polyphonic material. I’ve also resorted to Drambo, BLEASS Slow machine, TB Voice Shifter… I have a SubNUp pedal that I end up using a lot, it doesn’t sound great, a bit dull, but I don’t find any of the iOS options sound better.
    I’d love a FAC pitch shifter / octaver with @FredAntonCorvest special sauce.

    Latency is fine for me with Nembrini Quinta so long as 'High Q' is set to off.

    I don’t understand what the issue might be, Quinta is very laggy for me. Just did a test comparing it to Yonac’s ToneStack and Quinta is clearly off. Noticeably and annoyingly behind.

    I have the latest update and HQ doesn’t seem to make a difference.

  • @tahiche said:
    I don’t understand what the issue might be, Quinta is very laggy for me. Just did a test comparing it to Yonac’s ToneStack and Quinta is clearly off. Noticeably and annoyingly behind.

    I have the latest update and HQ doesn’t seem to make a difference.

    Hmmm… sorry if I’ve sent you down a rabbit hole - I do use it quite a bit, but mostly for late night jams, so maybe I’m over tolerant of the latency? I do remember it being unusable for live playing until I turned the ‘High Q’ off, so it definitely should make an audible difference. I’ll give it some more applied scrutiny over the weekend.

Sign In or Register to comment.