Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The new Electribes

I've been on vacation and I just saw the demos.
Have you guys seen the new electribes from Korg?
Man I've been waiting for a box like that (with 2014 specs) like forever :D

It's like Korg Gadget in a box, but better with hands on control and Ableton live set export.

Comments

• edited September 2014

Yea. I can't decide which one to get yet though. The sampler or the synth version. I've only seen the initial info released by korg. And the sampler version also does your VA synthesis, but only has 3 filter types. The synth version has ~13 different filter types, 400 something waveforms/samples, but you're also stuck with those waveforms/samples korg gives you on that one. Something along those lines if I understood it all correctly ?

Edit: Why couldn't they just make a version with both all those filters and sampling capability, at a slightly higher cost. Everything would have been so much easier (and more awesome) lol

• That looks nice, I have an Emx 1. This looks like a nice upgrade. Mistabishi is the perfect guy to demo this.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah I've already got the synth model preordered and payed for.
    I've also got a volca sample on preorder with it.

I'm not sure whether to change the preorder to the electribe sampler and just use it with my iPad to sample sounds from my many iPad apps as the sound sources. Just waiting for more info, rumours are that the sampler version won't be released until March 2015 and if that's the case I will just get the synth one.

• edited September 2014

I'm very tempted by these, but it's difficult to work out which one to get as I was hoping that the sampler would also have all the features of the synth model. I should wait for the reviews, I guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if both models sell out pretty quickly!

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

I'm very tempted by these, but it's difficult to work out which one to get as I was hoping that the sampler would also have all the features of the synth model. I should wait for the reviews, I guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if both models sell out pretty quickly!

Yeah no doubt I'll get both.

• I've owned both electribes red & blue. If these are the same, the sampler one doesn't have the synth. It's only a sampler and that's why it has 3 filter types.

So I've preordered the synth version. It has nice drum samples, and for the rest, I don't mind because it has the nice King Korg engine.

I really hope you can page through the menu and edit the whole synth engine. the old EMX-1 had only 2 params editable per oscillator. It's a really nice box. I'd say it's nicer than my ex-OP1.

You can do chords, scales, automation, sequencing. I love it !

• edited September 2014

@alexbuga said:

I've owned both electribes red & blue. If these are the same, the sampler one doesn't have the synth. It's only a sampler and that's why it has 3 filter types.

So I've preordered the synth version. It has nice drum samples, and for the rest, I don't mind because it has the nice King Korg engine.

This is what the Korg site says on the sampler version:

" A hybrid synth engine with sampling and modeling

In addition to a sampler sound engine that lets you use your own unique and original sounds (samples), there are also several types of analog modeling sound engines that are great for creating synth basses and pad sounds. "

To me that definitely sounds like there's a synth or two under the hood. But would be really great if korg could do a proper detailed side by side comparison chart. :/

• edited September 2014

@serosin said:

I like that guys style, he seems like he was outsourced and is really just giving a review for the device. Almost doesn't care if anyone else cares.

I wouldn't mind the synth model.

As the poster before you noted, that's the drum'n'bass producer Mistabishi...just don't go watch him DJ! (hehe)

• Would be nifty if it could hook up with an iPad as an additional control surface/display and even a file manager.

• ^that's a great idea. they might, especially given where they've gone with the Korg Volca sampler...!

• @miguelmarcos said:

Would be nifty if it could hook up with an iPad as an additional control surface/display and even a file manager.

There's full midi implementation on the electribe so it would be possible to make some cool lemur patches or midi designer patches..

• @papertiger said:

^that's a great idea. they might, especially given where they've gone with the Korg Volca sampler...!

Have you seen any more news about the app that goes with the volca sampler? I'm hopeful about it.

• @syrupcore said:

Have you seen any more news about the app that goes with the volca sampler? I'm hopeful about it.

>

I was reading the volca sampler manual and it says in there that the app uses the sync in port to copy samples. Just a tidbit of info.

• edited September 2014

Here is the manual for the Electribe (but not for the Sampler unit):
    http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_Electribe_Owners_Manual.pdf

This manual refers to a Parameter Guide which is not out yet.

Manual for Volca Sample is here:
    http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_volca_sample_OM_2.pdf

To transfer own samples to the Volca you have to connect your iPhone/iPad with the sync input. Very oldschoolish ;-)

• The informations about the new Electribe are very incomplete at the moment. Here is a brief summary of facts and speculations from other forums and/or the manual.

• Song mode is history -- it has been outsourced to Ableton Live
    • Sampling time is only a few seconds more than in the ESX
    • Delay and reverb algorithms seems to be implemented as master effects only (and not as part inserts)
    • MIDI implementation seems to be more flexible than in older Tribes (but still no Pitchbend/Aftertouch)
    • Max. pattern length is 64 steps only (EMX/ESX has 128 steps)

However, I'll sold my ESX and will keep my EMX. I plan to purchase the Electribe Sampler as Addon for my old Tribe.

• Cheers @buska.

Thanks for the manual links @klangsulfat. Thanks for the slightly underwhelming details on the electribes too. No song mode is, well, sad. The Volca Sampler has one!

I keep harboring a hope that you can hook these things up to Gadget to transfer samples. I should probably let it go.

• Maybe Korg fixes the external sync behaviour in Gadget and introduces a folder system to organize the samples for Abu Dhabi and Bilbao. In this case, Gadget will be the addon for my EMX ;-)

• edited September 2014

I've read the manual and it does have a pattern chain mode to make songs. Also it has event recording. So basically you jam on a four bar pattern and record the whole performance and export as wave. It has wave export for patterns so I guess it has for event Rec also.

I'm looking forward to see that parameter list also. I'm really hoping for detailed synth edit but I doubt it.

A guy from YouTube who made some presets for it for 3 days said that you only have one knob per oscillator. Each osc has its own parameter. You have dual osc , unison etc. plus PCM.

I guess he didn't had time to fiddle around.

• @alexbuga said:

I've read the manual and it does have a pattern chain mode to make songs. Also it has event recording. So basically you jam on a four bar pattern and record the whole performance and export as wave. It has wave export for patterns so I guess it has for event Rec also.

I've read the manual too and didn't find any informations about pattern chaining. You can only build a pattern set to start patterns over the pads in realtime. But you can't chain them. Event recording seems to be a kind of audio recording because you can't edit/modify the recorded performance afterwards. All this is possible with the EMX/ESX.

• edited September 2014

In this video they create a track and some sounds from scratch on the synth version. A bit chaotic, but the most informative video I've seen on it so far. Seems like they slapped at least parts of Gadgets Marseilles cheesy sample ROM in there (which in turn was ripped from older Korg workstations), which is nice if you wanna sprinkle some more acoustic stuff in there, or bring back that 90's house piano thing :)

I'm leaning towards preordering the synth version, those filters on all those osc sources will probably last a long time when it comes to creating new sounds. Only "bummer" is that you're stuck with those 200-something drum sounds, but they are at least editable with pitch change etc.

• You can press multiple pads at once in pattern set mode to chain them, then record over th top your tweaking, finally export to Ableton or wav file. It's like song mode really, except now we can even export to wav. More info when I can :)

• @Tarekith said:

You can press multiple pads at once in pattern set mode to chain them, then record over th top your tweaking, finally export to Ableton or wav file. It's like song mode really, except now we can even export to wav. More info when I can :)

Are you a beta tester? Lucky bugga :D

• In another video from Mistabishi you can clearly hear that the transition from one pattern to the next pattern isn't really smooth :-(

• @klangsulfat said:

In another video from Mistabishi you can clearly hear that the transition from one pattern to the next pattern isn't really smooth :-(

Yeah noticed this too.. Big downer :/

• It's not released yet, the OS could still be a work in progress.

• I don't mind the gap between patterns... honestly I haven't noticed it in the videos, but I mostly did a song with 1 pattern on my old EMX by muting and unmuting stuff. Also... the scratch is made with a noise oscillator and a bandpass filter.

I'm really looking forward to this new electribe. Hopefully I'm among the first ones who made the preorder on musicstore.de so they ship it to me first :))

• Will be mine.

• Mistabishi posted a 1hr long set with 1 electribe, and by the sound of it I certainly believe it's the new electribe.

Sounds awesome Check out the end.

• edited September 2014

@alexbuga Are you gong by the sounds, or did he mention somewhere this was the Electribe? I know he's been using it live, but don't see any info on this particular video?