Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi on channels other than channel 1 (ZOA)

Has anybody else experienced issues sending midi from a midi plugin when not configured to Channel 1 (or all channels)? It seems that in a plugin such as Riffer I need to set the midi out channel in the plugin itself as well as setting it in the Loopy Pro midi destinations. However in ZOA I cannot set the midi channel in the plugin itself as it is blocked with the “Configure in host” message.

Comments

  • Hi. The MIDI configuration page in ZOA is for routing the different output streams, which you must do in the AUv3 host. But you can set the MIDI channel for each playhead in the normal playhead window. It's at the bottom of the right-hand pane, so you may need to scroll down to see it. See pic. This was from AUM, but should be the same in LP.

  • Gah. I didn’t see it down there. Will try this out later on. Thanks.

  • @uncledave said:
    Hi. The MIDI configuration page in ZOA is for routing the different output streams, which you must do in the AUv3 host. But you can set the MIDI channel for each playhead in the normal playhead window. It's at the bottom of the right-hand pane, so you may need to scroll down to see it. See pic. This was from AUM, but should be the same in LP.

    Iike Zoa, but that scrolling thing is a UI fail as it's so easy to miss, there should really be some kind of visual indicators that you can scroll

  • @Gavinski said:

    Iike Zoa, but that scrolling thing is a UI fail as it's so easy to miss, there should really be some kind of visual indicators that you can scroll

    Yes. It may be tricky though, since both sidebars scroll independently. Expanding the AUv3 window doesn't help; the app is locked to its default appearance. And there are scrollbars, but they only appear while scrolling. Maybe permanent scrollbars could be enabled? @rygrob?

  • @obfuscator said:
    Gah. I didn’t see it down there. Will try this out later on. Thanks.

    Incidentally, I've never had to change the playhead MIDI channel, even when using all 4 playheads. The ability to route each stream separately in AUM has kept the different streams separate.

    Also, ZOA includes a pretty comprehensive built-in manual. It's at the bottom of the (…) menu, and it's downloadable on-line.

  • @uncledave said:

    @obfuscator said:
    Gah. I didn’t see it down there. Will try this out later on. Thanks.

    Incidentally, I've never had to change the playhead MIDI channel, even when using all 4 playheads. The ability to route each stream separately in AUM has kept the different streams separate.

    Also, ZOA includes a pretty comprehensive built-in manual. It's at the bottom of the (…) menu, and it's downloadable on-line.

    If you can route the streams separately in AUM , you should be able to in Loopy Pro, too. Are you not able to?

  • I did manage to get this working but I have to route in the AUv3 itself as well as well as the midi routing in Loopy Pro. I have to do this in other AUv3s as well but not all of them. In Riffer, for example, unless I stick to the defaults of Channel1 for riff 1, channel2 for riff 2, I need to adjust the midi settings in Riffer to match the routing I have set up in Loopy Pro

  • @obfuscator said:
    Has anybody else experienced issues sending midi from a midi plugin when not configured to Channel 1 (or all channels)? It seems that in a plugin such as Riffer I need to set the midi out channel in the plugin itself as well as setting it in the Loopy Pro midi destinations. However in ZOA I cannot set the midi channel in the plugin itself as it is blocked with the “Configure in host” message.

    Btw, if Zoa is a multi-output MIDI AU, Loopy supports that.

  • Loopy Pro multi-out MIDI Routing

    Tap a Destination to access cable routing

    Tap the cable glyph to access the routing

  • edited December 2023

    @obfuscator said:
    I did manage to get this working but I have to route in the AUv3 itself as well as well as the midi routing in Loopy Pro. I have to do this in other AUv3s as well but not all of them. In Riffer, for example, unless I stick to the defaults of Channel1 for riff 1, channel2 for riff 2, I need to adjust the midi settings in Riffer to match the routing I have set up in Loopy Pro

    It sounds like you're confusing two things: MIDI channel number and MIDI port routing. The MIDI "channel" is just a number that appears in the MIDI messages. You can send a stream of messages coded with different channel numbers to different apps, and configure those apps to only listen to one channel. This was significant with traditional wired (5-pin) MIDI, where you could daisy-chain several synths, and configure each one to listen on a different channel. If you need/want this with ZOA, you can use its "All Out" port, but I cannot see any need for it.

    However, in a host like LP or AUM, an app can send ouputs on different MIDI "ports", and you can route each port to a different app. When you use this, there is no reason to change the MIDI channels, since those messages will never be seen by the same app. There is certainly no reason to make the MIDI channel numbers match the port numbers. As I mentioned previously, I've never needed to change the ZOA MIDI channels, because I route the output from each playhead to a different app. @espiegel123 has already shown how to set this up in LP.

    Edit: I neglected to mention that ZOA sends MIDI from each playhead (1…4) to its MIDI Out port (1…4). This cannot be changed. The MIDI Destinations in the ZOA settings ("Configure in host") are used in the stand-alone app to connect those ports to other apps visible via IAA. In the ZOA AUv3, you configure that routing in the host, as you already know.

    Edit2: Yamaha has a nice MIDI Basics document, which is a good start for understanding MIDI. For MIDI routing, you need to rely on the host app documentation.

  • I failed to mention that I am working in a hybrid set-up e.g iOS apps and external synths. My use case was routing one output from ZOA to an external synth and another output to an internal audio unit hosted in LP. This is where the midi channel came in.

  • @obfuscator said:
    I failed to mention that I am working in a hybrid set-up e.g iOS apps and external synths. My use case was routing one output from ZOA to an external synth and another output to an internal audio unit hosted in LP. This is where the midi channel came in.

    OK. So you need to set the expected MIDI channel for the external synth. But the MIDI routing via ports in LP does not require any special MIDI channel to keep it separate from other MIDI. The ports are isolated pipelines between modules, and to external gear. They are completely independent of the MIDI channel numbers. You do not need to adjust MIDI channel numbers to match the routing; you can leave all the ZOA playheads on MIDI channel 1 and they will not interfere. That's what I tried to explain in my previous reply.

    Are you doing the routing as described in the previous post? It shows how to route one of the outputs from MIDI Tape to the Dagger synth. You would use the same technique to route one ZOA output to your internal synth, and route another output to your external gear.

  • @uncledave said:

    @obfuscator said:
    I failed to mention that I am working in a hybrid set-up e.g iOS apps and external synths. My use case was routing one output from ZOA to an external synth and another output to an internal audio unit hosted in LP. This is where the midi channel came in.

    OK. So you need to set the expected MIDI channel for the external synth. But the MIDI routing via ports in LP does not require any special MIDI channel to keep it separate from other MIDI. The ports are isolated pipelines between modules, and to external gear. They are completely independent of the MIDI channel numbers. You do not need to adjust MIDI channel numbers to match the routing; you can leave all the ZOA playheads on MIDI channel 1 and they will not interfere. That's what I tried to explain in my previous reply.

    Are you doing the routing as described in the previous post? It shows how to route one of the outputs from MIDI Tape to the Dagger synth. You would use the same technique to route one ZOA output to your internal synth, and route another output to your external gear.

    Yep I have my routing set up as per the MIDI Tape example. My external synth that I am routing to is set to only receive on Channel 2 which is why I needed to adjust the channel. I have a handful of synths configured in a chain with individual channels. This is because I switch between using them with a hardware sequencer on some occasions vs using LP as my central DAW/Sequencer on other occasions.

    To be clear, I have everything sorted now and functioning well so I’m happy. Happy to keep discussing if there is value for others though.

Sign In or Register to comment.