Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A friend of mine asked for advice getting into iOS music making

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Ha! Yes, as someone who has been using software, plugins, synthesis etc for many years, my recommendations usually go crazy when someone new asks about possibilities. Sadly my enthusiasm doesn't always match their understanding and it can be a bit overwhelming.

I agree - someone with little or no exposure to production, synthesis, arranging, mixing etc may do much better just getting their head round it all in garageband first. :)

• xenxen
    edited September 2014

What do they want to do?

Make some tunes - caustic or gadget could be a good starting point, lots of sound sources all in one place and an envonment that has a relatively shallow learning curve

Learn to play - one of the better synths and a budget midi controller keyboard to go along with Garageband

Mix beats - a dj app could be a good start, maybe a sample based app to go with it so they can cut up some tracks and remix them - Impc pro provides a lot of options here

Some ideas.

• GarageBand is a great app. And perfect for starters.

Thumbjam is instantly inspirational.

Figure gets electro happening immediately.

• Garageband, yes... I consider it the perfect starter app for entry-level, due to its cool interface and the fact that it's used by a lot of folks other than this crowd here. That's how I got going.

• The biggest thing for me were apps with a decent scale feature (can't remember if Garage band has this or not) so you can play in tune without knowing your scales. So for example, Beatmaker2 not having this on it's keyboard or piano roll was/is still a real pain for me.

Figure and iKaosilator were the most immediately fun and accessible.

When you want to progress to a whole track Gadget is fantastic because of its scale function and not having to mess around with midi hooks to different apps etc which can confuse you at the start.

I personally also learnt a lot from chord apps like polychord and also from steppolyarp (which I use all the time to generate rhythms and arps). Suggester is also pretty cool for learning about chord progressions and scales.

If you start from zero musically knowledge like me... Some of these apps can be amazing for learning some basic music knowledge.

• Btw..If they start with only one app, I'd personally vote for Figure...

• Don't do it! "It's a trap!" Tell them to get a harmonica and call it good.

• Garageband, ThumbJam and Figure bonus: All three are universal.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

Btw..If they start with only one app, I'd personally vote for Figure...

yeah, Figure is how I got started. I actually downloaded it free when it first came out. I played around with it, got bored and let it sit for several months before revisiting it. I immediately got hooked and have been slowly expanding my iOS production ever since.

• edited September 2014

Caustic for $10 and watch all the Caustic tutorials on YouTube. He'll learn a lot there.

• The smart instruments in Garageband are great songwriting tools.
    I'd also say Novation's launchpad app is cool. Basically a grid of buttons that play loops in sync with each other. One drawback is that it is very "house/dubstep/techno" oriented. It is a lot of fun to mess around with though.

• Oh, Guitarism is another easy to play app.

• edited September 2014

@Martygras said:

Don't do it! "It's a trap!" Tell them to get a harmonica and call it good.

Admiral Akbar knows best!

I'll add to those suggesting GarageBand, I have most of the major iOS programs yet still start many of my song ideas there (if more traditional instrument based) or in nanostudio (if more electronic based).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2014

GarageBand is now completely free I believe, or if not, then it's 4.99. Amazing what you get for $5, even better if it's now 100% free.

I wrote a song on it (well, the chorus at least) after getting a quick idea while walking from my hotel room to the beach while on vacation this summer, and when we got together the next week to record, it turned into a full song that I just finished mixing. And I've written song ideas in parking lots, in traffic on the tappanzee bridge (in ny, USA just outside the city for those not from here), and all sorts of other places. Other gb ideas turned into 2 other songs as well this summer, come to think of it. I'm not a fanboy, but productivity that's easy and fun makes every penny spent worth it.

• edited September 2014

I would say right now may not be the best time...