Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can I access the OP-1 Field via iPad's USB-C?

@Hainbach did it again, lol. He gave me GAS again for an OP-1 Field with this video...

So the video is about the Casio SK-1, but he likened the OP-1 and OP-1 Field as the modern day versions of the SK-1 towards the end of the video. That has me very intrigued. I already saw videos about the OP-1 Field's workflow, the caveats, so I'm well-informed of what I could do with it.

What I don't know is...am I able to access the OP-1 Field's file system with my iPad via USB-C (where I can load samples onto the OP-1F, can download the recorded mixes to my iPad for mastering, etc)? When I inevitably purchase an OP-1F, I really don't wish to purchase a cheap laptop just for file access.

If you use an OP-1 Field yourself, could you confirm/deny that an iPad can access the OP-1F's file system?

(My apologies if this was asked elsewhere. I tried Google search, to no avail.)

Comments

  • edited November 2023

    I don’t have the Field (saving for one myself) but I did have the Original and it worked perfectly with the iPad.

    You can send both audio and midi over usb so you can sample into the OP-1 or send audio from the OP-1 out onto whatever you’re using on the iPad. And you can connect headphones to the OP-1 so you don’t even need an extra interface for just that. That’s one reason I never deleted all of my apps that lack any real connection. Because I could always just sample or record them into the OP-1 :)

    I believe you can even update the firmware on the iPad, much like with the Roland TR-6S.

  • @HotStrange said:
    I don’t have the Field (saving for one myself) but I did have the Original and it worked perfectly with the iPad.

    You can send both audio and midi over usb so you can sample into the OP-1 or send audio from the OP-1 out onto whatever you’re using on the iPad. And you can connect headphones to the OP-1 so you don’t even need an extra interface for just that. That’s one reason I never deleted all of my apps that lack any real connection. Because I could always just sample or record them into the OP-1 :)

    I believe you can even update the firmware on the iPad, much like with the Roland TR-6S.

    That's pretty cool to be able to send audio and MIDI. :) I bet LP4i can handle all that.

    Hopefully others can also chime in.

  • I’ll check this later today for you when I get in the studio. My first thought is that yes you can, and no you can’t. The field version requires an app on the MBP to fully access everything in the file system, but I “think” you can at least access your recordings without it. This is different from the OG OP-1.

    I’ll report back in a few hours.

  • @Tarekith said:
    I’ll check this later today for you when I get in the studio. My first thought is that yes you can, and no you can’t. The field version requires an app on the MBP to fully access everything in the file system, but I “think” you can at least access your recordings without it. This is different from the OG OP-1.

    I’ll report back in a few hours.

    Thanks mate. :) I appreciate you doing this for me.

  • Ok, unfortunately the new Field OP-1 now uses the MTP protocol for file transfer. This is plug and play on Windows, but on the Mac you need to use the free TE MTP app to access the recordings you make.

    You CAN connect it to the iPad in Disk mode, but it only lets you access the ability to put your own samples in the synth and drum folders to use with those. There's no way to access the recordings you make. Maybe there's an MTP app for the iPad that allow this, but I'm not sure. I have a big gig tonight and don't have a lot of time to dig into looking for one today, sorry.

  • Another nice feature with the field is using it as a Bluetooth midi device the simulated velocity feature works pretty well. Btw according to TE’s site they are announcing something next Wednesday.

  • Thanks for the heads up, I missed that announcement!

  • @mikewb said:
    Another nice feature with the field is using it as a Bluetooth midi device the simulated velocity feature works pretty well. Btw according to TE’s site they are announcing something next Wednesday.

    Cool! :)


    @Tarekith said:
    Ok, unfortunately the new Field OP-1 now uses the MTP protocol for file transfer. This is plug and play on Windows, but on the Mac you need to use the free TE MTP app to access the recordings you make.

    You CAN connect it to the iPad in Disk mode, but it only lets you access the ability to put your own samples in the synth and drum folders to use with those. There's no way to access the recordings you make.

    Aww, well at least there's a way to load and unload samples.

    Maybe there's an MTP app for the iPad that allow this, but I'm not sure. I have a big gig tonight and don't have a lot of time to dig into looking for one today, sorry.

    All good. I got a gig tonight too. Piano for me. :)

  • You can always just record the main output of the OP-1F into an iPad app in real time to record it as well.

  • @Tarekith said:
    You can always just record the main output of the OP-1F into an iPad app in real time to record it as well.

    Can I record to iPad via USB-C? If so that'd be sick. :) Then I can record into LP4i, master assist, all good.

  • Yes, audio and midi over USB.

  • @Tarekith said:
    Yes, audio and midi over USB.

    Easy peasy solution! I made up my mind. Once I can save up enough to finance an OP-1 Field, I'll go for it. :)

  • You can also use Commander One to enable MTP connections - https://commander-one.com/

  • @enkaytee said:
    You can also use Commander One to enable MTP connections - https://commander-one.com/

    Nice! Thanks for the recommendation. :)

  • @Tarekith said:
    Ok, unfortunately the new Field OP-1 now uses the MTP protocol for file transfer. This is plug and play on Windows, but on the Mac you need to use the free TE MTP app to access the recordings you make.

    You CAN connect it to the iPad in Disk mode, but it only lets you access the ability to put your own samples in the synth and drum folders to use with those. There's no way to access the recordings you make. Maybe there's an MTP app for the iPad that allow this, but I'm not sure. I have a big gig tonight and don't have a lot of time to dig into looking for one today, sorry.

    Wonder what made them change it? I’m glad it at least still sends audio and midi over USB.

    I may be sleepy and just misunderstanding but are you saying there’s just no way to export the stems? Sorry it’s been a long day lol

  • @jwmmakerofmusic said:

    @Tarekith said:
    Yes, audio and midi over USB.

    Easy peasy solution! I made up my mind. Once I can save up enough to finance an OP-1 Field, I'll go for it. :)

    I’m right there with ya. Maybe we’ll both have one soon :)

    I’m hoping to have mine by spring time.

  • @HotStrange said:
    Wonder what made them change it? I’m glad it at least still sends audio and midi over USB.

    I may be sleepy and just misunderstanding but are you saying there’s just no way to export the stems? Sorry it’s been a long day lol

    In theory MTP transfers should be faster, but it does seem weird to me to prioritize that over compatibility. And there are already some often used functionality on OP-1 that’s painfully slow still anyway, like lifting and dropping longer audio files when editing the tape tracks. It’s a weird decision.

    You can still export stems, you just can’t do it natively on the iPad.

  • I decided to get the OP 1 Field unless the new announcements say the oPz field is coming out.

    From what I saw: you can send the oP1 MIDI to your DAW (along with audio ofc)
    then you can save the audio as wave
    then you can also bounce a track or two and then send it back to your op1 on one track, saving you 3

    im not sure how an iPad Pro or iPhone max might handle it, but Logic Pro x did it, so I would think Logic Pro on your iPad Pro would work too....

  • @Tarekith said:

    @HotStrange said:
    Wonder what made them change it? I’m glad it at least still sends audio and midi over USB.

    I may be sleepy and just misunderstanding but are you saying there’s just no way to export the stems? Sorry it’s been a long day lol

    In theory MTP transfers should be faster, but it does seem weird to me to prioritize that over compatibility. And there are already some often used functionality on OP-1 that’s painfully slow still anyway, like lifting and dropping longer audio files when editing the tape tracks. It’s a weird decision.

    You can still export stems, you just can’t do it natively on the iPad.

    I don’t have desktop so iOS only for me. I know there was a third party OP-1 app that allowed this but not sure if there’s one for the Field or that one works for the Field. I never really did that on my OP-1 anyway. I’d just mostly finish a track on the OP-1 itself and then just record the entire track as a whole to the iPad and use various AUV3 to touch it up as much as possible.

    Midi and audio over usb is the most important for me and I’m glad to see it still works. I’m hoping to get mine before the spring but time will tell

  • You can send DAW MIDI to the OP-1f as well as record OP-1f MIDI in your DAW. And you can bounce tracks internally without loss of fidelity, so three stereo tracks onto one stereo track, then keep recording. You can bounce all four stereo tracks to an album side then play that back in "what you hear" mode and it will end up on a tape track.

  • edited November 2023

    Cool. :) I think recording from the OP-1F to LP4i or Cubasis would be the best OP-1F-to-iPad workflow for me. Then again maybe TE's announcement on Wed will be a firmware update to the OP-1F that makes it compatible with iPad. 🤷‍♂️

    Meanwhile I need to save up 500 quid for a bloody down payment lol.

  • @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Cool. :) I think recording from the OP-1F to LP4i or Cubasis would be the best OP-1F-to-iPad workflow for me. Then again maybe TE's announcement on Wed will be a firmware update to the OP-1F that makes it compatible with iPad. 🤷‍♂️

    Meanwhile I need to save up 500 quid for a bloody down payment lol.

    Technically the OP-1 Field is compatible. You can still sample into it, send audio out to your DAW, sequence it’s internal synths from the iPad, or use the (super cool) OP-1 sequencers to send midi out to various other synths. They’re a super fun combo.

    I don’t want to make any extra monthly payments so I’m saving up to buy the entire thing in one go. Though if the new announcement is a new version of the op-z I will have some decisions to make lol

Sign In or Register to comment.