Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iBassist is now AUv3

1246789

Comments

  • @Luxthor said:
    In my eyes, using generative bass lines is the most insulting thing you can do to your music. On the other hand, I’m just another random forum poster, so you are safe. No one should care. 😂

    There is some truth to that.

  • @wim said:

    @Luxthor said:
    In my eyes, using generative bass lines is the most insulting thing you can do to your music. On the other hand, I’m just another random forum poster, so you are safe. No one should care. 😂

    There is some truth to that.

    That's the benefit of being a “random forum poster”. Fantastic, haha!

  • @Gavinski said:

    @RajahP said:

    @galmandsværk said:

    Sounds so cool. How many of these options (variation, randomizer, length) are accessible as AU parameters?
    I prefer making widgets in Loopy Pro to control the parameters I need, so I can avoid opening the different AU windows as much as possible.

    Ha - @LuisMartinez any chance of getting those parameters exposed? I hope this isn't the part where you're already wailing and gnashing teeth and regretting you ever went down the auv3 road. Let's face it, with Logic not supporting IAA any more though, it's kind of necessary, and an important way to future-proof yourself. Given that it's a free update though, I think it's more than fair to take adding things like this at your own pace

    Well.. I´m not sure is a good idea to expose Jam and Intensity to parameters. These are not designed to be constantly moving, rather leave it and let it go jamming. If these parameters move constantly it will be continually generating new and new lines adapted to the progressions, very inefficient.

    Which parameters do you think are good to expose there ?

  • edited October 2023

    All of the Bass Line switches, including randomize and make variations. The Length switches with randomization. Fill in/out.

    I would like to see Jam and Intensity exposed as well, for fine-tuning the feel.

  • wimwim
    edited October 2023

    @LuisMartinez said:

    @Gavinski said:

    @RajahP said:

    @galmandsværk said:

    Sounds so cool. How many of these options (variation, randomizer, length) are accessible as AU parameters?
    I prefer making widgets in Loopy Pro to control the parameters I need, so I can avoid opening the different AU windows as much as possible.

    Ha - @LuisMartinez any chance of getting those parameters exposed? I hope this isn't the part where you're already wailing and gnashing teeth and regretting you ever went down the auv3 road. Let's face it, with Logic not supporting IAA any more though, it's kind of necessary, and an important way to future-proof yourself. Given that it's a free update though, I think it's more than fair to take adding things like this at your own pace

    Well.. I´m not sure is a good idea to expose Jam and Intensity to parameters. These are not designed to be constantly moving, rather leave it and let it go jamming. If these parameters move constantly it will be continually generating new and new lines adapted to the progressions, very inefficient.

    You've exposed them as knobs and there's nothing preventing them being moved constantly by a finger. Parameters are no different except that people can abuse them with an LFO or something. There's no reason to assume people will do that. It's more reasonable to allow people to control that from an external controller knob or sequencer.

    Many people don't like to have to touch the screen while performing. It's useful to be able to control something like jam intensity or swing from a knob. Or, for instance, to set the jam intensity higher from a sequencer when hitting a certain song passage. Or, to change parameters when needed from a setlist app such as Camelot Pro or Setlist maker.

    Your apps get used a lot by live performers. Often they struggle with hands-off features such as this. Threads working around such control show up often. Moving to AUv3 is already a huge step in the right direction but needs AUv3 parameter control to be truly complete.

    Which parameters do you think are good to expose there ?

    Everything possible. This is the typical way for AUv3 plugins.

  • @Luxthor said:
    In my eyes, using generative bass lines is the most insulting thing you can do to your music. On the other hand, I’m just another random forum poster, so you are safe. No one should care. 😂

    That’s one thing that has me a bit hesitant. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with anyone using it themselves, but I’m kind of a bass head and can be pretty peculiar about the bass lines in my tracks that have them (the ones that aren’t just harsh noise and dark ambient lol). So it makes me wonder if I would use it enough to justify the expense.

    Also even when I’m making a track with a bass line, it’s almost never typical electric bass. It’s always more synth driven. And the rare times I do actual bass guitar, Riffler into PSP or Taqsim has sufficed.

  • wimwim
    edited October 2023

    For me it's fabulous for practicing guitar. Hit the random button, use the make drums feature and try not to obsess over getting the perfect pattern, then jam away until I can't stand to listen to myself any more. It's like having some buds to jam with but without having embarrass yourself.

  • @wim said:
    For me it's fabulous for practicing guitar. Hit the random button, use the make drums feature and try not to obsess over getting the perfect pattern, then jam away until I can't stand to listen to myself any more. It's like having some buds to jam with but without having embarrass yourself.

    Haha I don’t have space for a guitar or drum set and won’t for probably another year, but it does seem great for that. I don’t really play jam music but sometimes it’s fun to just play.

  • @HotStrange said:

    @Luxthor said:
    In my eyes, using generative bass lines is the most insulting thing you can do to your music. On the other hand, I’m just another random forum poster, so you are safe. No one should care. 😂

    That’s one thing that has me a bit hesitant. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with anyone using it themselves, but I’m kind of a bass head and can be pretty peculiar about the bass lines in my tracks that have them (the ones that aren’t just harsh noise and dark ambient lol). So it makes me wonder if I would use it enough to justify the expense.

    Also even when I’m making a track with a bass line, it’s almost never typical electric bass. It’s always more synth driven. And the rare times I do actual bass guitar, Riffler into PSP or Taqsim has sufficed.

    Don’t bother to find reason in my comment, it was more of a poetic and idealistic remark than anything else. But for me, a bass line is something that connects (glues) rhythm with everything else and gives soul (groove) to the whole piece. 😅

    I also use synths for bass sounds through standard and nonstandard bass distortion effects. iBassist is a fantastic app, I didn’t criticize the app at all.

  • @Luxthor said:

    @HotStrange said:

    @Luxthor said:
    In my eyes, using generative bass lines is the most insulting thing you can do to your music. On the other hand, I’m just another random forum poster, so you are safe. No one should care. 😂

    That’s one thing that has me a bit hesitant. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with anyone using it themselves, but I’m kind of a bass head and can be pretty peculiar about the bass lines in my tracks that have them (the ones that aren’t just harsh noise and dark ambient lol). So it makes me wonder if I would use it enough to justify the expense.

    Also even when I’m making a track with a bass line, it’s almost never typical electric bass. It’s always more synth driven. And the rare times I do actual bass guitar, Riffler into PSP or Taqsim has sufficed.

    Don’t bother to find reason in my comment, it was more of a poetic and idealistic remark than anything else. But for me, a bass line is something that connects (glues) rhythm with everything else and gives soul (groove) to the whole piece. 😅

    I also use synths for bass sounds through standard and nonstandard bass distortion effects. iBassist is a fantastic app, I didn’t criticize the app at all.

    Oh yeah I don’t say that to dismiss the app at all, it seems fantastic. I’m just not entirely sure if it’s for me. I’m still undecided for now, but leaning towards either no or waiting for a sale.

  • Take one for the team to lead Luis to think every app he converts is gonna give him a sweet bump in revenue. 😉

    (Totally joking here. I don't believe in sympathy / encouragement / charity app purchases.)

  • @wim said:

    @Tspae said:
    Okay, I’ve downloaded the upgrade and deleted and restarted and reinstalled and I’m getting all kinds of grief from this app, extremely slow response and stuttering and completely misplaying lines. iPad Pro 2nd gen, iOS.v 17.0.3. Did I miss a memo about 17?

    What host (if any) are you using it in? And what are your buffer settings in that host?
    Also ... have you tried powering your device off and back on yet?

    Tried both AB and Aum , and powered off and on.

  • wimwim
    edited October 2023

    @Tspae said:

    @wim said:

    @Tspae said:
    Okay, I’ve downloaded the upgrade and deleted and restarted and reinstalled and I’m getting all kinds of grief from this app, extremely slow response and stuttering and completely misplaying lines. iPad Pro 2nd gen, iOS.v 17.0.3. Did I miss a memo about 17?

    What host (if any) are you using it in? And what are your buffer settings in that host?
    Also ... have you tried powering your device off and back on yet?

    Tried both AB and Aum , and powered off and on.

    That doesn't answer the question about buffer settings. Very low (or in some cases very high) buffers are the main thing I can think of that would cause slow response. Or, possibly a midi loop.

  • @Tspae said:

    @wim said:

    @Tspae said:
    Okay, I’ve downloaded the upgrade and deleted and restarted and reinstalled and I’m getting all kinds of grief from this app, extremely slow response and stuttering and completely misplaying lines. iPad Pro 2nd gen, iOS.v 17.0.3. Did I miss a memo about 17?

    What host (if any) are you using it in? And what are your buffer settings in that host?
    Also ... have you tried powering your device off and back on yet?

    Tried both AB and Aum , and powered off and on.

    Any audio interfaces connected? If so, maybe try without it. There was just another AUv3 app that someone was using that had issues but only when connected to a device - this would include a USB dongle with audio out of course. Same thing also happened when Safari was loaded and it tried to control the sample rate even though it it was sitting in the background.

  • This 1000% percent - my whole setup consists of external hardware to control. I really don't like using the screen during a performance.

    I REALLY would love the ability to control /2 time and x2 time via midi for example.

    Also @LuisMartinez - looking forward at the rest of the drummer apps - have you considered a "master" drummer auv3 that contains the whole series (or makes the IAP) and charge accordingly?

    @wim said:

    @LuisMartinez said:

    @Gavinski said:

    @RajahP said:

    @galmandsværk said:

    Sounds so cool. How many of these options (variation, randomizer, length) are accessible as AU parameters?
    I prefer making widgets in Loopy Pro to control the parameters I need, so I can avoid opening the different AU windows as much as possible.

    Ha - @LuisMartinez any chance of getting those parameters exposed? I hope this isn't the part where you're already wailing and gnashing teeth and regretting you ever went down the auv3 road. Let's face it, with Logic not supporting IAA any more though, it's kind of necessary, and an important way to future-proof yourself. Given that it's a free update though, I think it's more than fair to take adding things like this at your own pace

    Well.. I´m not sure is a good idea to expose Jam and Intensity to parameters. These are not designed to be constantly moving, rather leave it and let it go jamming. If these parameters move constantly it will be continually generating new and new lines adapted to the progressions, very inefficient.

    You've exposed them as knobs and there's nothing preventing them being moved constantly by a finger. Parameters are no different except that people can abuse them with an LFO or something. There's no reason to assume people will do that. It's more reasonable to allow people to control that from an external controller knob or sequencer.

    Many people don't like to have to touch the screen while performing. It's useful to be able to control something like jam intensity or swing from a knob. Or, for instance, to set the jam intensity higher from a sequencer when hitting a certain song passage. Or, to change parameters when needed from a setlist app such as Camelot Pro or Setlist maker.

    Your apps get used a lot by live performers. Often they struggle with hands-off features such as this. Threads working around such control show up often. Moving to AUv3 is already a huge step in the right direction but needs AUv3 parameter control to be truly complete.

    Which parameters do you think are good to expose there ?

    Everything possible. This is the typical way for AUv3 plugins.

  • @wim said:
    For me it's fabulous for practicing guitar. Hit the random button, use the make drums feature and try not to obsess over getting the perfect pattern, then jam away until I can't stand to listen to myself any more. It's like having some buds to jam with but without having embarrass yourself.

    Guitar layer never get tired of listening to themself 😉

  • @ecou said:

    @wim said:
    For me it's fabulous for practicing guitar. Hit the random button, use the make drums feature and try not to obsess over getting the perfect pattern, then jam away until I can't stand to listen to myself any more. It's like having some buds to jam with but without having embarrass yourself.

    Guitar layer never get tired of listening to themself 😉

    It has taken years of practice, but I've mastered it.

  • That doesn't answer the question about buffer settings. Very low (or in some cases very high) buffers are the main thing I can think of that would cause slow response. Or, possibly a midi loop.

    Okay, the standalone doesn’t work at all. In AB it works with the window open until you try to adjust anything,, then it stutters and skips . AB Is set to 256 frames. In Aum it works if you don’t open it. Also 256 frames.

  • wimwim
    edited October 2023

    @Tspae said:

    That doesn't answer the question about buffer settings. Very low (or in some cases very high) buffers are the main thing I can think of that would cause slow response. Or, possibly a midi loop.

    Okay, the standalone doesn’t work at all. In AB it works with the window open until you try to adjust anything,, then it stutters and skips . AB Is set to 256 frames. In Aum it works if you don’t open it. Also 256 frames.

    So, it sounds like you might be saying that you're running only the standalone, not the AUv3 plugin and that maybe you have the same issue I do that it the plugin isn't accessible with my operating system version. What OS version are you running, and do you see the plugin to add as an AUv3 in AUM?

  • @wim said:

    @LuisMartinez said:

    @Gavinski said:

    @RajahP said:

    @galmandsværk said:

    Sounds so cool. How many of these options (variation, randomizer, length) are accessible as AU parameters?
    I prefer making widgets in Loopy Pro to control the parameters I need, so I can avoid opening the different AU windows as much as possible.

    Ha - @LuisMartinez any chance of getting those parameters exposed? I hope this isn't the part where you're already wailing and gnashing teeth and regretting you ever went down the auv3 road. Let's face it, with Logic not supporting IAA any more though, it's kind of necessary, and an important way to future-proof yourself. Given that it's a free update though, I think it's more than fair to take adding things like this at your own pace

    Well.. I´m not sure is a good idea to expose Jam and Intensity to parameters. These are not designed to be constantly moving, rather leave it and let it go jamming. If these parameters move constantly it will be continually generating new and new lines adapted to the progressions, very inefficient.

    You've exposed them as knobs and there's nothing preventing them being moved constantly by a finger. Parameters are no different except that people can abuse them with an LFO or something. There's no reason to assume people will do that. It's more reasonable to allow people to control that from an external controller knob or sequencer.

    Many people don't like to have to touch the screen while performing. It's useful to be able to control something like jam intensity or swing from a knob. Or, for instance, to set the jam intensity higher from a sequencer when hitting a certain song passage. Or, to change parameters when needed from a setlist app such as Camelot Pro or Setlist maker.

    Your apps get used a lot by live performers. Often they struggle with hands-off features such as this. Threads working around such control show up often. Moving to AUv3 is already a huge step in the right direction but needs AUv3 parameter control to be truly complete.

    Which parameters do you think are good to expose there ?

    Everything possible. This is the typical way for AUv3 plugins.

    This 👆

    Devs​ ideally expose every parameter unless there is a technical reason preventing that, in general, and leave it up to users what to use and how

  • edited October 2023

    @Tspae said:

    That doesn't answer the question about buffer settings. Very low (or in some cases very high) buffers are the main thing I can think of that would cause slow response. Or, possibly a midi loop.

    Okay, the standalone doesn’t work at all. In AB it works with the window open until you try to adjust anything,, then it stutters and skips . AB Is set to 256 frames. In Aum it works if you don’t open it. Also 256 frames.

    Pretty solid on AB here.. latest IOS… and with AB you can state save IAA (Lumbeat Drums), I am told.. and AB Remote… Thanks..

  • @wim said:
    Take one for the team to lead Luis to think every app he converts is gonna give him a sweet bump in revenue. 😉

    (Totally joking here. I don't believe in sympathy / encouragement / charity app purchases.)

    Haha if it was on sale or $5 maybe 😉 but $18 is a big price for something I’m not 100% sold on. I mean the app sounds amazing it’s just for me, I’m not sure I would use it a lot. I don’t make “typical” straightforward music that much lol. How would it work for something like industrial or free/avant garde jazz?

  • @HotStrange said:
    How would it work for something like industrial or free/avant garde jazz?

    It’s probably not for you.

  • @wim said:

    @HotStrange said:
    How would it work for something like industrial or free/avant garde jazz?

    It’s probably not for you.

    😂 I think you may be right lol thanks though 🙏

  • @HotStrange said:

    @wim said:

    @HotStrange said:
    How would it work for something like industrial or free/avant garde jazz?

    It’s probably not for you.

    😂 I think you may be right lol thanks though 🙏

    Seen this?

  • @RajahP said:

    @HotStrange said:

    @wim said:

    @HotStrange said:
    How would it work for something like industrial or free/avant garde jazz?

    It’s probably not for you.

    😂 I think you may be right lol thanks though 🙏

    Seen this?

    I have! That and Soft Drummer are the 2 that interest me the most. Will probably pick them up one day as well.

  • A new update is available, just fixing bugs and little things ;)

  • wimwim
    edited October 2023

    @LuisMartinez said:
    A new update is available, just fixing bugs and little things ;)

    The plugin is now showing up for me in hosts!! 😎👍❤️❤️
    IOS 15.7.9

  • I'm using version 1.21 and the issues that I previously reported in AUM are resolved, and it's working great so far. Thanks @LuisMartinez!

    **Side Note: In the unlikely case anyone else had the same experience: I was a bit confused about the jam and output knobs not responding instantly to touch/drag - you have to press and give it just a moment, and then you can slide left/right to adjust. 🙂

  • _ki_ki
    edited October 2023

    @LuisMartinez And i can confirm it is working as AUv3 on IOS 16.2, thanks a lot!

Sign In or Register to comment.