Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MidiSequencer v1.8 submitted to Apple - IOS8 ready, AB state saving using latest sdk

midiSequencer v1.8 submitted to Apple this morning.
This version brings:
IOS8 ready

Audiobus 2.1.3 sdk - so supports presets. Each preset will save the bank filename and snapshot number and attempt to load them if you select the preset (in AB).

Midi Learn - you can now automate controls using midi CC (and single byte data with it) on the following controls:
1) all 16 sliders for notes, velocity, gate% and midi channel. This will also cater for limits set. Slider will move onscreen if type shown.
Gate% is scaled to enable full 400% to be reached for byte value=127.
2) Tempo - set from 1..127. The real tempo set will include the current clock multiplier.
3) Transpose (-36 to 0 to +36)
4) Midi Mute/Send toggle (off/on)
5) Play/Stop - which will continue from last step.
6) Loop Types
7) Invert on/off
8) Invert key (0..127) for C-2 to G8 range

Bug fixes :
Pent min scale flattened 3rd now correct.
Panic now sends note off for all channels/notes as well as CC123.

Comments

• I'm sure you are a fully 4 or 5 dimensional human with loves and dreams and empathy and issues with your parents and a first kiss and a favorite band but from this side of the forum software you appear to be a machine.

Tony, thank you for putting so much into your app.

• @syrupcore said:

I'm sure you are a fully 4 or 5 dimensional human with loves and dreams and empathy and issues with your parents and a first kiss and a favorite band but from this side of the forum software you appear to be a machine.

Class!

Cheers for all the hardwork Tony.

• You know his business card reads: Tony, The Good Robot

• I can't wait for your MIDI app...thanks!!!

• edited September 2014

working on that next :) It's going to be more useful to people than a step sequencer since so many of you like grid/piano roll editors like Gadget/Nanostudio.

• @midiSequencer said:

working on that next :) It's going to be more useful to people than a step sequencer since so many of you like grid/piano roll editors like Gadget/Nanostudio.

I'm so looking forward to this and i really can't hold it back anymore...

Here's some 'Amiga Music-X Nostalgia' from the years gone buy.
    The tutorial starts at 2:30...

In short every sequence can contain midi-data for multiple channels, it also has 'special' notes that can trigger another sequence with some additional parameters.

It's worth a look for some ideas for the 'next thing' :)

• @fjcblanco said:

I can't wait for your MIDI app...thanks!!!

2nd. :). But I told him this many times so I will wait as long as it takes. I do feel like the features of the new MIDI app will fill a void still left by other such apps. For example, I downloaded mSequencer (by the Audio Mastering dev) and it is quite good, but missing little things like chords that Tony has built into his apps. Should be great!

• I'm looking for it to fill the void Auria's lack of MIDI leaves. Hopefully Tony you can find time to test they sync together?

• David, Auria's midi sync works off MTC (so smpte) rather than midi clock - seems they went old school. I'm still waiting for midiBus library to be updated to work with this - Nic Grant said it was on his todo list.
    You can however send sysex from midisequencer now, so stop/start/continue should be possible if you send the correct 4 bytes.

• edited September 2014

@samu, amazing what the amiga can do. It was a great machine in it's day - I take it you still have yours or do you use an emulator?
    What this shows is more like my new app as it works on a piano roll/grid and will allow you to work in individual tracks (transpose, move, smpte time etc) which will be stored/loaded in standard midi files - all in Audiobus I should add.
    The midiSequencer rack is aimed more at contrapuntal/berlin school music composition where each sequence plays a melodic pattern time synched to the other, often using different lengths for interesting polyrhythms.

• @midiSequencer this update is quite something. thanks again for your tireless work. i can't wait to see what comes next!

I had a quick question regarding the options that are available for the skip button: would it be possible to add a random/any step button? i.e. once a step with the random/any option selected is reached, playback would jump to a random/any step of the sequence. I was surprised to see that it wasn't available. I really like this feature in Numerology and think that it would fit right in with MS.

Or perhaps there's already way to achieve the same result in MS?

• JG gets down with the contrapuntal/berlin school while talking about himself in the third person

• @Papertiger - There is a random loop type, but yes I need to add a few things to make this a real contender for the modern hardware sequencers. Per Step, Here they are 1) swing 2) %probability of playing 3) step jump logic - a mixture of forward x steps, reverse x steps, jump x steps, repeat x steps (thinking midibox seq here ) and 4) a clearer split on skip buttons so you can have logic like reset (which does a cycle reset) combined more easliy with ornaments say - at the moment you can only define one type.

This added with multitrack would be great I feel.

I simply haven't had time to review all the hardware manuals on sequencers to pick out the best bits so have done the core ones so far.

I'm currently working on midi fx (echo, limiter etc) as an add-on for the sequencer too.

• @midisequencer Wow. And the great thing is, I can be excited about and hope for these things as you have yet to fail to deliver. You and Kymatica kill it.

midibox has always been a holy grail for me, but out of reach for many reasons. MS is getting closer and closer in terms of fun!

• @midiSequencer said:

@samu, amazing what the amiga can do. It was a great machine in it's day - I take it you still have yours or do you use an emulator?
    What this shows is more like my new app as it works on a piano roll/grid and will allow you to work in individual tracks (transpose, move, smpte time etc) which will be stored/loaded in standard midi files - all in Audiobus I should add.

I have an Amiga 600HD with a broken midi-interface (it's collecting dust) and couple of emulators, but I've moved into the future with Renoise, LogicProX and lately the free Abelton Live Lite.

I hope that Cubasis for the iPad resurrects a 'pattern alias' feature that i used a lot in the old Cubase 3.0 days. Ok, it's possible to duplicate and modify parts but it would also mean a lot of duplicate work if small changes are to be made to the 'core pattern'.

I'll most likely get your new app too when it hits the AppStore :)

• @Samu - well let me know the features you most want and I will see about getting them included.
    The Pattern alias sounds like a way of have an exact duplicate of a pattern but only having one real one - so changing this changes them all?

• @midiSequencer said:

@Samu - well let me know the features you most want and I will see about getting them included.
    The Pattern alias sounds like a way of have an exact duplicate of a pattern but only having one real one - so changing this changes them all?

Yepp, that's right.

The 'alias pattern' could back in the early Cubase days be overlapped, transposed have it's default midi-channel changed and parameters like velocity could be scaled relative to the original, lots of creative possibilities like midi-note echo to other channels. I don't remember how many overlaps were allowed, but i think it was 4...

It sounds and feels like your next new app is an 'insta-buy' :)

• @samu - with the alias, could you change the notes/rhythm of the original and all have this reflected in the aliases? If not it's a simple copy/paste similar to what we have now with something like Gadget on a selected group of notes..

• @midiSequencer said:

@samu - with the alias, could you change the notes/rhythm of the original and all have this reflected in the aliases? If not it's a simple copy/paste similar to what we have now with something like Gadget on a selected group of notes..

Yes, all changes to the original are reflected in the alias.
    An alias is a pointer to the original sequence with extra playback options.

In practice it works like 'read from the the original sequence and apply the changes (transpose, velocity scale etc.) before playback', so it's not just a simple copy & paste.

Hope this makes sense :)

• @samu - sounds good. Will include that ability on pattern copy (option to copy as alias)

• @papertiger - just added midi echo to midiSequencer - one step closer to midibox seq heaven!