Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good Guitar Apps With Sampled Chords and Strumming

Hello all. Thanks for all of the great replies so far. You've been great for a noob like me.

I'm looking to purchase an well rounded app with sampled acoustic chords and strummed chords. Unfortunately Sampletank only has individual notes. I know you can program individual guitar samples using single notes to play chords, but nothing beats having a real musician actually play them for realism. I'm looking for some acoustic Spanish guitars for a 60's Brazilian Bosa Nova track I'm working on (like Stan Getz/Gilberto). Also the guitar app has to play well with Cubasis. Thanks.

Edit: Also would like the guitar app to play to send MIDI data so Cubasis can record it on a MIDI track.

Comments

• Hi,

Others will probably be able to give you more / better info - but as non-guitar player I've found Guitarism really easy to 'play'. As well as picking, it lets you strum chords yourself (playing it's own sounds or sending external midi). This is a guitar led track I made with it (actually here it's sending midi to a guitar patch in Gadget):

You could audiobus Guitarism into Cubasis. It's a very solid app and the developer is extremely helpful if you email him.

There's also the iFretless Guitar range that people seem to rate (but I never got on with). Or you could look into one of the Sessionband apps (where I think they pre-sample hundreds of chords on different instruments) - although not sure there's a Bosa Nova version... yet!

• edited September 2014

@Matt Fletcher thanks for heads up. Great track! @Paulyboy Thanks for the suggestion.
    BTW Can these apps be controlled from a MIDI track in Cubasis? Can Cubasis record MIDI from them onto a MIDI track?

• I think you should look at Guitarism, fantastic for strummed and picked chords.

• edited September 2014

Guitarism is really great but, I think it'd be pretty hard to get a Bossa style guitar rhythm out of it—even though it does have a muting feature. Though I'm sorta curious to try now.

Maybe Session Band Jazz has some bossa style guitar riffs in it that you could export? Not sure.

• edited September 2014

Thanks for the Session Band recommendation. Do you know if Cubasis will record MIDI from it? As far as I can tell these Guitar apps require you to use their interfaces to get the strumming sound. Strumming virtual strings is better than playing them off of a keyboard. To be able to record their MIDI into Cubasis onto a track would be great.

• Yep. You can send Guitarism's strums out to Cubasis as midi. (Then tweak in Cubasis and point that midi at another guitar sample e.g. one from sample tank).

To get the strumming effect Guitairsm sends note ons but no note offs. So you get very l

• (Oops)... Long midi notes. You therefore need a guitar patch set to slowly decay out on its on without needing a note off. Play with the sustain.

You'll get what I mean if you try it with Guitarism.

• Just googled "bossa nova guitar midi" and some interesting stuff turned up. Haven't tried any of it but you might be able to cut/tweak and point at sampletank or thumbjam or bs-16i.

• Guitarism gets a big nod here. MIDI needs the IAP Quadroplay but it's totally worth it. You can also use the "fret muting" option to play with the note length in MIDI.

• Thanks for the replies. I picked up Guitarism with Quadroplay. How do you get Cubasis to record MIDI? I have Audobus running, used Qudroplay to select Cubasis as an out, selected Cubasis as a MIDI input on Cubase, hit record and played some notes on Guitarism but it wouldn't record the MIDI data on a MIDI track.

What am I missing? Thanks.

• guitarism needs midi going both ways but other than that I'm sure it's what George Harrison is using right now in heaven

• George Harrison. :) I got it to work. I set the Quoroplay to MIDI Out instead of Cubasis. In Cubasis I selected Guitarism for MIDI in. I didn't use Audiobus.

• Coming late to this one but for total non guitarist like me guitar chord pro is pretty cool as in addition to all the built in chords it has built in strum patterns and even the ability to make your own

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/guitar-chord-pro-platinum/id533714047?mt=8

No audiobus but it does have midi out and audio copy

• Got Cubasis to record MIDI. No MIDI in on Guitarism? Under MIDI it just has settings for out. Doesn't pop up under MIDI out on Cubasis.

• Possibly Guitarism doesn't have MIDI in (which is a shame). I can't remember...

In which case you'll need to point the midi coming out of Cubasis at a Guitar patch in Sampletank (or Gadget) or something that does have MIDI in and decent guitar patches. Or maybe Thumbjam or BS-16i with the right guitar soundfont.

• Oh well like you said their are many other choices for the guitar sounds. Curious what you guys recommend for the best guitar samples. Cubasis and SampleTank have some good ones. What's your favorite app for guitar sounds that accepts MIDI from Cubasis? A wide variety would be nice. Doesn't have to electric because I can use the Samplitube plugin for that.

• I'm guessing that as you want Spanish/bossa guitar you might want a nylon string? Guitarism doesn't have one (yet, I've requested it). Midi out to iFretless guitar, which does have a nylon string folk and classical may work, especially using fret muting. I'll give it a go later and see what happens.

• Thanks. Also accoustic percussion would be nice. I've got the classic electronic drum machines covered with the FunkBox and the DM1. Sampled World instruments would also be great.

• Gadget has a nylon string guitar patch I think. But too expensive just to but it for that...

• +1 for Drumjam, and DrumPerfect has real drum samples and has/will have a percussion kit.

• Just had a play. Loaded a bossa drum loop from DrumPerfect (it comes with some bossa patterns), copied into Cubasis. Guitarism records midi fine, and if you want strumming by using the fret muting you can get a bossa guitar groove - Cubasis has a nylon string, but it's obviously better through iFretless guitar. I personally would tend to fingerpick bossa patterns so while Guitarism does this, it's odd with alternate bass patterns. I used iFretless, recorded the midi into Cubasis and it all works fine. You need to learn the chord shapes though.

• I would like to hear some recordings...

• @Peanutcram said:

I would like to hear some recordings...

samesies.

• Cool. I'll pick up Drumjam and DrumPerfect.

• I used gumdrops to program Latin percussion patterns for jaming. It's fun to switch between all the 3/2 beats.

• @syrupcore said:

@Peanutcram said:

I would like to hear some recordings...

samesies.

Me another also as well.

If it keeps on at this rate you could set up a club :)

• edited September 2014

Here is a link to a dropbox file. DrumPerfect pattern looped. Played 3 times a basic Girl from Ip pattern. First time Guitarism strummed, second Guitarism picked, third iFrestless guitar picked. All recorded as midi in Cubasis, then played back through iFretless guitar - classical guitar patch. What's nice about iFretless is you can choose just the soft velocity samples. Apologies for my playing, I wouldn't normally do it this way as I play Spanish/Latin guitar for a living.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/onva6d5g94xe593/Bossa guitar test (1).wav?dl=0

• edited September 2014

Wow your guitar playing sounds just like a real guitar. Great job!

Like other Bosa Nova songs, a modern version would be new Thievery Corporation album Saudade. Your guitar chords sound especially like the first track Decollage. I highly recommend the track/album for those of you who haven't heard it.

BTW Guitarism and iFretless sound very similar to me.