Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arturia iProphet - out now!

Comments

• @Zymos said:

I think you need to launch the sequencer first, like Calcutta mentioned. But it doesn't work with all of them. MidiSequencer yes, Xynthesizer , no.

Thanks for the test run - kind of a bummer, since (believe it or not) Xynthesizer probably remains my favorite polyphonic MIDI sequencer. Which is why it will absolutely rule when Tony (Analog MIDI Sequencer dev) releases his piano roll MIDI sequencer in the coming weeks/months.

I used the app some more last night. I was able to record iProphet into a DAW using AudioBus, and had absolutely no problems with it. But I had the latency at 512 frames, just to be sure. Gave up trying to use it with IAA for the aforementioned reasons. However, I suspect none of this is a problem if you have an iPad Air.

It's feeling a 4-star app to me right now. Might be a 5-star app if the virtual MIDI stuff were addressed. But the app works and it has a good library of sounds. It's just not quite as varied a library as I thought it might be. It's definitely bright and 80's, but almost harsh to a fault at time. Of course, this is 100% subjective and could be addressed by changing the settings. I just don't know that I like the sounds in there as much as iSEM or even iMini. But I was bound to buy it anyway, and am sure I will get some use out of it.

• @StormJH1 Uh-oh. Beginning to sound a bit jaded over there Mister Storm... :)

• I'd give high marks to the quality of the sound (Arturia has not disappointed with any of their apps in this regard) and the interface looks nice and pretty. I'm hopeful the MIDI thing will be fixed soon. I'd call this app a success.

• @CalCutta said:

Anyone else having an issue where iProphet will only recognize other midi apps/devices if they were plugged in/running before iProphet is opened?

Yes
    With midi, it listens but doesn't seem to work with setting virtual midi to its own midi. Example midiSequencer set to send out its midi works but setting it to send out to iProphet does not. Similar results with Arpeggionome Pro. To get around this you can use MidiBridge so that apps like SoundPrism and Orphion work. You also need to launch the app sending midi first so it can see it inside or outside of AB. The little red light to the right of the midi will light up when it receives midi. Running iOS 7.1.2 on an iPad mini retina.

• How is it running as IAA inside of Cubasis (7.1.2)?Anybody tested?Still not sure about a purchase but if it's running smooth (without crashes)and to keep my Arturia collection up to date...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@StormJH1 Uh-oh. Beginning to sound a bit jaded over there Mister Storm... :)

I hope not! No, I think the app is fine. I just don't like to buy and app, feel lukewarm about it, and then run to the AB thread to tell everyone how unbelievably awesome it is. My comment, or a few like it, may lead them to pick it up where they otherwise wouldn't have.

I literally had no prior knowledge/expectation of what this style of synthesizer was supposed to sound like, so my opinions are either completely unbiased, or completely uninformed, depending on how you look at it.

That reminds me though, does anyone have BOTH Arturia iProphet and the "Professor" emulation that came out a little while ago, and could compare them?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/professor/id816248304?mt=8

Reviews of the latter were a bit lukewarm. I just wonder if they even sound like the same type of instrument, based on the available presets, etc.

• edited October 2014

I was pulling your tail a little (of course)....all these bright young appcollectors who get worn down by the riches of their acquisitions. It might also be that I live beneath ground, grey-faced, in a ratty smoking jacket in surroundings that shout: Abandoned Opium Den more than anything else.

• ^ there is no relation. That one was supposed to be an emulation of a Prophet 5 (except the dev. got all evasive when people said it was a crappy emulation, and pretended it actually wasn't even supposed to sound like a P5), which is an analog synth.

• @Paulinko said:

@CalCutta said:

Anyone else having an issue where iProphet will only recognize other midi apps/devices if they were plugged in/running before iProphet is opened?

Yes
    With midi, it listens but doesn't seem to work with setting virtual midi to its own midi. Example midiSequencer set to send out its midi works but setting it to send out to iProphet does not. Similar results with Arpeggionome Pro. To get around this you can use MidiBridge so that apps like SoundPrism and Orphion work. You also need to launch the app sending midi first so it can see it inside or outside of AB. The little red light to the right of the midi will light up when it receives midi. Running iOS 7.1.2 on an iPad mini retina.

I can confirm this is true with Genome as well. Same OS (Air)

• edited October 2014

Thanks for the link.So,it's possible to record the stick movements to create some kind of sequences?Okay,sold :)

• The Original Prophet VS have and Arpegiator plus have 12 custom waveform...

• @Crabman said:

Thanks for the link.So,it's possible to record the stick movements to create some kind of sequences?Okay,sold :)

No, that was referring to the actual hardware. Instead, the app has a sort of sequencer to program the joystick movements, but can't record your moves in real time. Which would be cool.

• edited October 2014

edit:doublepost

• @Crabman said:

@Sinapsya said:

The Original Prophet VS have and Arpegiator plus have 12 custom waveform...

32 custom waves.And Doug wrote that the waves starting at 32 so maybe it will come later?There's also space for an Arp...who knows? ;)

@Zymos:oh,that's a shame.They really missed something here...

• It's Retronyms, there have to be some problems...

• Ready for Doug Synth. As long as it has "How you like" and "Jo, could you answer the door?", I'm good for a couple of bucks.

• And a Watson-the-Dog patch also please.

• R_2R_2
    edited October 2014

Can't delete me own presets, same as iMini.

Found this: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=12604.0

Swiping in iSem does bring up a 'send/delete'. I know iSem is by TempoRubato but I would expect Arturia wants uniformity on things like this.

• @R_2 said:

Can't delete me own presets, same as iMini.

Found this: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=12604.0

Swiping in iSem does bring up a 'send/delete'. I know iSem is by TempoRubato but I would expect Arturia wants uniformity on things like this.

First we need to clear who to contact, Arturia or Retronyms?

We managed to get the people at Retronyms to implement 'delete' in iMPC Pro and i seriously hope similar 'raise of voice' is not needed to get an option to delete user content in all their apps(iMPC, iMini, and now iProphet, but we might swell add TableTop to the list too).

I've yet to Try TableTop 2.6, but in the old versions of TableTop iTunes or iFunBox was needed to delete the user created content or the samples that got downloaded when downloading songs made by other users, just deleting the song didn't delete the included samples, and there was no way to access them inside TableTop...

I still can't understand why the TableTop instruments can't share the their samples inside TableTop, I can understand the 'external app' issue but those that are already in the same app bundle like the 'TableTop Ready' instruments are...

These things will be sorted out over time but I still wonder how this passed by the 'beta testers' and the Q & A Team...

• edited October 2014

@Samu said:

These things will be sorted out over time but I still wonder how this passed by the 'beta testers' and the Q & A Team...

Because they are features not bugs! ;)

• First play:i like it.Nice sounding,very good/clear layout/interface and a brilliant fine tune function.Would love to see this in more knobs driven apps.

Nonetheless would i love to see following enhancements (just in case @DanWalton is reading):
    Recording of Stick movements (or the possibility to do so in Cubasis etc.),Arpeggiator,User Waves,deleting (own)presets.

• @Crabman said:

Recording of Stick movements

You can do that in Tabletop, or you can kind of program it with that multi-point envelope. Two options which I think is great but probably not good enough for some.

• @firejan82 said:

@Crabman said:

Recording of Stick movements

You can do that in Tabletop, or you can kind of program it with that multi-point envelope. Two options which I think is great but probably not good enough for some.

This is possible but 'editing' of recorded midi-controller data in TableTop is a bit 'hard' or should i say totally impossible?

• edited October 2014

@firejan82 said:

exactly ;)

i have no intention to use TT nor is "programming" the same as"live recording".What would bring more fun?And the Arp or the recording of stick movements seems to be part of the original Prophet VS so...

Anyway,it's not about"not good enough for some",it just could be much better with a little effort.A simple feature request,not more.Of course,it's a bargain even in it's current state.

• edited October 2014

Very inspiring, characterful synth. Very fun in Tabletop because every control parameter, selector can record automation in real time, including joystick moves -wild wiggles, not just steps as in original - all envelope parameters, off/on toggles, wave selectors

Slight bummers: There's the menu glitch in Tabletop, lists don't populate (presets, waveforms) until each selection is touched, and only one appears at a time

And BM2 can't midi sequence the synth - BM2 lacks the "Virtual Midi" option that allows Cubasis to run iProphet in IAA

• edited October 2014

@Crabman said:

What would bring more fun?And the Arp or the recording of stick movements seems to be part of the original Prophet VS so...

I didn't know that. Good point. I thought the only feature of the original synth they left out was the user waveforms.

• R_2R_2
    edited October 2014

I sent Retronyms an email about deleting user presets. Took the opportunity to request easy export/import of user banks through email, cause iTunes filesharing sucks.

What surprised me about the mod-matrix sources is that the Pressure(aftertouch) and Velocity are removed in favor of Accelerate X and Y. Hardly ever use this (difficult to control) and unpractical when using a camera connection kit or dock.

A touchscreen keyboard is great for aftertouch control (Animoog, Nave blades, etc) and timbre variation through aftertouch and velocity are an important part of the Prophet VS sound (also in Arturia's desktop version).

So I've asked Retronyms to consider bringing back Pressure and Velocity as mod sources.

• edited October 2014

@soundtestroom / DougSynth: I guess "Brilliant!" would be an IAP!!! But I'll pay it.