Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arturia iProphet - out now!

Comments

• Looks amazing but, as Doug said, no reverb and no arp make me step back for a while.

Too many synths installed right now. :(

• R_2R_2
    edited October 2014

Always wanted a real VS so was gonna get this no matter what but so far I'm REALLY enjoying it.
    Sound demos on Arturia's site don't do it justice, obviously the 4 oscs with all the different wavs provide a big spectrum.
    UI is as good as I hoped it'd be from looking at the pics, they really did a nice job on that.
    Love the attention to details.

As mentioned an arp would be welcome (enough space on the FX page for that). Especially considering the original had one.

But I'm not complaining, a time machine to 1986's hybrid heaven for €8,99!

• R_2R_2
    edited October 2014

@Artmuzz said:

I have been browsing and playing with the many patches and one of the patches called 'Filmusic'' was used at the beginning of Prince's U Got The Look. :)

Factory "03-Volkanik" is Prince-Hot Thing. Typical VS sound.

• Adding another voice: ARP please.

• Slightly off-topic, but this brings up a subject that's always interested me: What are folks preferences between using on-board features of a synth, compared to similar features that could be brought in externally? Effects and Arpegiattor's (as long as there's MIDI or CV/Gate available), for example.

I've noticed I'm going further and further away from on-board effects and arp's in favor of other apps. For instance, once I got StepPolyArp, I rarely use an on-board arpeggiator in a synth anymore.

• Great sounding and fun. But the dials needs their amount/numbers displayed, not only when clicked and the big red dial pops up. And when choosing "sync" it should show beats, not 0-127.
    There should also be a way to center the joystick, and a moving visual indicator on the vectors.

• Interesting, I was guessing there WAS a way to center the joystick, but I was just not smart enough to suss it....anyone?

• Tap in the centre position ;)

• edited October 2014

@Washboy said:

Tap in the centre position ;)

Smartass ;)

• Downloaded yesterday, but did not get much time to use the app in-depth. What I did see didn't immediately "wow" me, but neither was I disappointed. Lack of internal arp is probably disappointing for some/many, but as mentioned above, I either don't use them, or use external apps/MIDI for that.

One thing I will say - I've just about had it with trying to use synths of any kind via IAA on my iPad2. It's getting time to replace that device anyway, but pretty much any of the newer synths through IAA in a DAW is a glitchy, stuttering mess. To my knowledge, IAA does not allow you to increase latency, whereas you can increase the frames in AudioBus.

It's a bummer with new apps like iProphet because I have MultiTrackStudio and the IAA implemenation there is outstanding. But my device can't handle it. The moral of this story is that I should just use AudioBus and record audio tracks. But it also tends to just drive me towards "contained" ecosystems like Caustic or Gadget, where everything is already in there and performance is largely a non-factor.

• @ChrisG said:

There's a "werk" preset in there with different articulations. It really is amazing, and weerrks with audiobos and IAA obviously.

Cheers mate, I also have an issue with HER and HAIR whatever I try it sounds the same, Jo snd the girls proper tske the piss :-)

• edited October 2014

@thesoundtestroom said:

@ChrisG said:

There's a "werk" preset in there with different articulations. It really is amazing, and weerrks with audiobos and IAA obviously.

Cheers mate, I also have an issue with HER and HAIR whatever I try it sounds the same, Jo and and the girls proper take the piss :-)

• Edit, don't quote ;)

• edited October 2014

@Washboy said:

/me taps @washboy roughly in the centre position

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Washboy said:

/me taps @washboy roughly in the centre position

Ooph! :)

• @CalCutta said:

Slightly off-topic, but this brings up a subject that's always interested me: What are folks preferences between using on-board features of a synth, compared to similar features that could be brought in externally? Effects and Arpegiattor's (as long as there's MIDI or CV/Gate available), for example.

I've noticed I'm going further and further away from on-board effects and arp's in favor of other apps. For instance, once I got StepPolyArp, I rarely use an on-board arpeggiator in a synth anymore.

I find I prefer NOT using on-board effects of most apps like synths and such, as I much rather use an FX app etc that is well suited to the particular sound I am aiming for at the time, and is also more robust in its abilities compared to something just tacked into an instrument app... so having half a dozen different reverb or filter apps etc. to choose from is far better, and also keeps things from getting that inevitable same-same staleness that sets in after using on board effect a lot, or hearing a hundred tracks from others who also use it. Choosing a separate FX app for processing keeps things flexible and fresh.

• Not a word in the manual about MIDI! Does anyone know how to un-learn a MIDI CC assignment?

• edited October 2014

I don't know, but...

Have you tried common gestures such as double-tap, tap and hold, drag away, etc.?

EDIT: You can also hit up Retronyms on Twitter - https://twitter.com/retronyms - or shoot them an email - [email protected]

• R_2R_2
    edited October 2014

Chris Meyer on Arturia' site: http://www.arturia.com/products/ipad-synths/iprophet/overview

"I'm thrilled to see Arturia improved on the original hardware instrument by adding oscillator sync (which was considered for the original instrument)"

Could he mean hard-sync? If so, I can't find it in the app, future update?

• @Shay said:

iPad 3 shows a a couple of seconds delay between selecting a sound and the ability to start playing. However it does sound nice. iOS 7.1.

iPad 3, iOS 7 here too and it only takes milliseconds for a patch to load and be playable. Perhaps remove the app and reinstall will help?

I only have had time to check out the first 69 factory (my favorite number) presets thus far but have found several useful sounds. Looks like lots of options to create and alter existing sounds to make the purchase worthwhile. Looking forward to listening to all of the presets before starting to try my hand at sound design.

• Hi gang,
    Here's a little something I put together featuring the latest 80's synth:

• remember when peeps used to put up videos of all of the patches back in the day, are there any videos out like that for this?

• @NedBouhalassa Most certainly something directed by Michael Mann!

• Anyone else having an issue where iProphet will only recognize other midi apps/devices if they were plugged in/running before iProphet is opened?

• Has this got the latest audiobus SDK (i.e. is it working on iOS 8) - doesn't say on the app info?

I'm hoping it is but iSEM and iMini aren't updated so assuming nothing ;)

• edited October 2014

dupe

• it doesn't show up in the compatable apps list when you select audiobus, but it works fine. As does IAA (instrument). Except that and Cubasis are more than my Ipad3 can handle. And I'm having problem getting any kind of sequencer to work (Midibridge doesn't seem to want to play in ios8)

• I think you need to launch the sequencer first, like Calcutta mentioned. But it doesn't work with all of them. MidiSequencer yes, Xynthesizer , no.

• I can add Genome to the list of sequencers that do work with iProphet.