Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Addictive Synth is on the bus

edited March 2013 in General App Discussion

" It was never so easy to create beautiful sounds and driving loops. 
The unique dynamic wavetable synthesis allows you to explore an unprecedented
wide range of sonic territory. "

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/addictive-synth/id447072653?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Comments

• YEAH :)

Now Filtatron is the missing chain before i have everything i wanted into the bus...

• Plus it's on sale right now!!

• I've heard that loads of people on here really like this app but it's reaching the point where I might have too many synth apps! What can it do that I can't already get from Animoog, Sunrizer, Magellan, Wavemapper, etc etc?

• I hear ya. I also have quite a collection of synth apps, and I've tried to be discriminating when considering adding others. I already had Addictive, so this was just a plus for me. I don't know of much that it offers outside some of the others, but it does allow you to draw filters and waves directly on screen and has some great patches. I like the interface better than others too, although that's very subjective...as are the quality of the patches. It also has some interesting morphing capabilities, random functions for wave/filter and arp, and wave/filter presets, but a few others offer that as well.

• Too many synth apps? Is such a thing possible? ;-)

• I'm in the same boat- barely floating in a sea of synths. I'm currently attempting to limit myself to apps that support MIDI, including program change for inputs (sadly no Animoog) so I can control everything (instrument, effects, looping/recording) from my M-Audio Axiom. Now if only I could remember how I programmed all the controls...

• Hands down the best arpeggiator on almost anything, hardware or software, now AB and new presets Addictive is one of the most expessive synths out there..

• edited March 2013

@thesoundtestroom Oooh, the arpeggio will tempt me, then! I'm still wanting StepPolyArp to get on the bus...

• Where's iVoxel. Love addictive synth, but would love that awesome little app too. Still not sure I see the advantage in Step Poly Arp being on the bus, but I will digress.

• @boone51 Having an Audiobus side-panel there to record your arpeggio on time would be amazing.

• edited March 2013

@Michael_R_Grant But don't you just run it through Thumbjam or -insert favorite midi synth app here- and record that through the bus? SPA doesn't really generate sounds right? I mean I guess it has that sample sound, but typically I'm just using it to drive another synth I'm recording into AB with, so to me I haven't really missed it being on the bus. Not that I oppose it. Was just talking it out with you ;-) getting that déjà vu feeling like you and I already had this discussion once

And yes, I'm aware that I am a thread hijacker. My apologies. Woo Hoo for Addictive being OTB. YAY

• edited March 2013

@boone51 When I'm using the sound from another synth with SPA, I want to control the starting note and subsequent key changes from SPA itself, using the keyboard there.

When you start trying to do that from another app - I'm thinking Sunrizer just as an example, with the sound being a Sunrizer preset, the arp being from SPA but playing it in Sunrizer in the foreground, you can't control them
    in the same way. SPA transposes the arpeggiated sequence depending on the note you press on its keyboard, and I need to be in that app to do this properly. And that means I can't record it into Audiobus "live" without having to switch apps (ie. not starting a recording on time) and then edit my recording.

Maybe some apps do allow that, but Sunrizer definitely doesn't play nice with the transposition. (I recognise that Sunrizer has its own arp and sequencer but it was the example that sprung to mind because I tried it!)

Actually, Sunrizer's own sequencer is a good example. Record a sequence and then change the starting note on the keyboard. The sequence transposes. This is what I need to do with an SPA sequence of notes but using the sound from another app, and I can't do that while playing from the other app.

Am I making any sense?

• @Michael_R_Grant , yes, I see what you're saying. I just haven't run across any issues with my VERY basic needs from SPA so far. I always assume everyone else out there is more advanced than I am, so this is why like to discuss it. Helps me learn. Thanks.

• Hell yes! I've missed Addictive Synth, it's been gathering digital dust since Audiobus was released.

• edited March 2013

Cool vid on Addictive Synth over at Discchord's blog http://discchord.com/blog/2011/7/26/review-addictive-synth-for-ipad.html

I should mention the vid is maybe a few years old now, so layout has changed, and the loop feature was missing in this earlier version. Still a good watch....and funny too! :)

• Can somebody who has Addictive help me with setting the loop bar length? If the tempo is set at 120bpm, I can set the loop for 8 bars. If I set a tempo of say 110bpm, i can only set the loop for 7 bars maximum. The lower the tempo is set, the lower the maximum number of bars I can set. If I crank the tempo up to 300bpm, I can set a loop length of 20 bars maximum.

If anybody can chime in on this issue it would be much much appreciated - this was driving me crazy last night until about 2:00am. (i purchased Addictive just a couple of hours before the update and price drop - D'OH!!) ... and I would ask on the Virsyn forums if they were active - but they're not right now.

• Ok I know whats going on..the loop length you are setting is on the tempo page right..thats only the metronome count in...leave that at 2 bars for your count..close tempo window..then press the little red record button next to tempo. This brings up your recording option were you set the song loop to as many bars as you want..hope this helped..

• i'll try later when i get home from work - but i have a feeling we're not on the same page. I'm talking about recording loops into the 4-track loop recorder in Addictive. I think you're talking about recording audio for exporting. For recording the loops, I didn't need to push the red recording button - there is a a "REC" button inside the loop recorder I pushed.

To further explain - i exported an 8 bar kick drum loop at 105bpm from Figure and pasted that loop from pasteboard into one of the tracks on the loop recorder. I set the tempo to 105bpm in Addictive ... and no matter what i do i can't set the loop length to be 8 bars. 7 is the max. The Figure drum loop does not loop properly.

You could be right of course, i've only played with the synth for 2 hours total ... i'll check tonight.

• @halftone I haven't tried the update but that's the way it's always worked. Essentially the loop recordings have a maximum length and if you lower the tempo past about 110, you start loosing measures. I wrote them about this about 6 months ago.

Though, now that it's on the bus and I can just record into loopy I'm not sure i care anymore. Think I'd rather them (him?) focus on the synth and leave the looping to loopy.

• thanks - i was thinking that might be a workaround.

Addictive now has midi clock features with this update - can you tell me how i would sync up Addictive to Loopy for recording loops in ? My MIDI knowledge is very basic...

• Glad to see this one! Who said to many synths! Lol

• You could be right ..the loop function does not appear to be working properly..

• Is Addictive Synth really working with Beatmaker 2 ?
    I mean audio is ok via Audiobus, I can record it with no problems in BM, playing Addictive's own keyboard. But I can't control Addictive from a MIDI track in BM, except for a few moments after a new Project is created in BM.
    When I create a new Project in BM, with both apps already in Audiobus (BM in Output Slot, Addictive as Input), Addictive responds to the Instrument and Track created automatically, but as soon as something is recorded in the MIDI track, Addictive stops responding... When I create a new Instrument in a Project to control Addictive, it doesn't respond, no matter the MIDI settings. Am I doing something wrong here?
    Thanks!

• Same here, so I tried cubasis. Same problem, it won't play with midi in. No problems controlling with either when off the bus. Tried omni and single channels

• i'm gonna send Virsyn guys an email about this - maybe you guys should do the same and hopefully they will address these issues. It's a great synth from what little i've played with so far - but with the loop function messed up and this Audiobus/Midi issue it's going to be almost useless for me currently.

• @Halftone @syrupcore @thesoundtestroom - For whoever was talking about the loop feature and amount of bars, I was just playing with it and it seems that if you set the loop bars to 8 before changing the BPM below 110 it stays at 8... But if you change BPM to 110 or below then set loop bars it limits it. Just thought I'd share!

• I think I tried this... Tempo was at 120bpm, loop length set to 8 bars ... then i lowered bpm to 90bpm and hit REC button (not the red dot but the REC button in Looper) and i'm pretty sure it only recorded 4 bars - not 8. (could be wrong - i tried so many different things to try and get it working i've lost track)

• edited March 2013

@jmsexton maybe this update fixed it! That'd be rad. Looking forward to trying it.

• nope - the update did not fix