Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Introduction to Music Production Coarse and DAW Question

So Coursera is offering a course in this starting in October and I already signed up for it. So I would, first of all, like to mention that for anybody else that might be interested. Someone had posted something about a music theory course from there on this forum awhile back and I ended up taking that course, enjoying it, and even learning something in the process. So I thought I would share the love:

https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

And now a question to anybody who may have taken this course before. They mention that one of the requirements is to have access to a DAW. They give examples like GarageBand, Reason, Logic, etc. I have access to Garageband because it came with my computer and I enjoy it. But in all honesty I find making music on the iPad more enjoyable experience. The only apps I have on my iPad that could qualify as DAWs are Garageband for the iPad, Music Studio, and Looptical. These are all decent in their own way but obviously they aren't top of the line. The sale that's going to end shortly on Cubasis has me intrigued. I've watched a lot of videos and this seems like quite an upgrade from any of those other apps and one of the closest things to a desktop DAW on IOS. Interface and midi functionality, in particular, is what breaks the tie for me with this one. But I have yet to spend anything even remotely close to the price tag Cubasis is currently at even with it on sale. But I'm thinking if I want to take this more seriously and take it to the next level I'm going to need to get something like this.

So I know people will probably think it's worth it because it seems to be well like on this forum but I would be curious to know if I could also use this for that course? Even though they seem to mention desktop DAWs as examples couldn't i accomplish the same thing with this, at least where this course is concerned. I don't think I'm ready to shell out the cash for a major desktop DAW, And like I said I prefer making music on the iPad. So this would obviously be a cheaper alternative.

I may purchase it anyways but I would still be interested to know if anybody here has taken this course before and if they see no reason why I couldn't use Cubasis, probably in conjunction with GarageBand for the Mac if necessary, to get through this course.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Since you have GarageBand, you should be ok, and from what I saw in the link, it looks like you could do everything from Cubasis.

Thanks for the link. I signed up as well.

• Music Production Coarse? Sounds rough! =P

I'm the one who posted music theory course. Glad you enjoyed it. I have also taken music production course you linked to. You don't really need a DAW. In some videos the instructor shows you how do things in different DAWs, but he mainly uses Logic. It would be useful to have a synth running for the Synthesis section though. I used Caustic and it was fantastic.

• @funjunkie27 said:

Since you have GarageBand, you should be ok, and from what I saw in the link, it looks like you could do everything from Cubasis.

Thanks for the link. I signed up as well.

Yup. That's the conclusion I came to as well. Well I suppose I will purchase it.

See you in the classroom! :-)

• @telecharge said:

Music Production Coarse? Sounds rough! =P

I'm the one who posted music theory course. Glad you enjoyed it. I have also taken music production course you linked to. You don't really need a DAW. In some videos the instructor shows you how do things in different DAWs, but he mainly uses Logic. It would be useful to have a synth running for the Synthesis section though. I used Caustic and it was fantastic.

Thanks for the input. That's good to know but I still would want something a little bit more advanced then GarageBand while I do this course. Even if just to use the opportunity to learn how to use the app.

Thanks so much for posting the music theory link originally. I really found that useful!